11 replies to this topic

#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

Made a weekend run to the north fork of the Mokelumne River below Salt Springs Reservoir. This is the location of last year's Pork Rally. The usual route into this area is by Ellis Road off HWY 88 above Hamms Station. But Ellis Road washed out this winter and will remained closed for a while. We camped here years ago and came out by following the road west almost to Pioneer. So we headed up Friday night after work. Unfortunately I couldn't remember the exact route and we kept running into dead ends. It was getting dark and, yes DD, Magellan was lost. Denied Plan A, we camped that night by a river rafting launch area below Tiger Creek Reservoir.

Next morning we drove out, got directions, and tried again. This time we made it. The road in is 26 narrow and winding miles. It is a mix of pavement and dirt with lots of potholes but can easily be done with a two wheel drive. If you go there, take Tiger Creek Road off 88 a couple of miles past Pioneer. You get to Tiger Creek Reservoir after a couple of miles. The road splits just before the power house. The right side drops down to the power house. Stay left even though it is unsigned and it looks like a narrow one way road coming out of the area. Be aware there are many sections of this road where someone will have to back up if you meet another vehicle. Allow one and a half hours for the 26 miles. A typical section of roadway:

Posted Image

Once in the area is heavily forested and pretty. There are three small campgrounds back here plus lots of boondocking sites right on the river. We stayed at White Azalea cg and had it to ourselves. Even saw a couple of Bobcats. :) Our campsite:

Posted Image

DD had mentioned that this place was kind of trashed, so we spent some time picking up garbage. It wasn't too bad but then it is early in the season. Our harvest:

Posted Image

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:17 PM

I like your style Ted.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,387 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

Ted, our friend, thanks for the report, and Ted, you are a good guy and good guys do make a difference in the world. We like your style too! Good you see the new truck out wandering.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:57 AM

What a peaceful campground and you left in much better shape than before you arrived. We all should do that when we can. The more trip reports, even short ones, the better.
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the trash duty Ted. What struck me about that area wasn't how much trash was at the spot we camped in, but that there was pretty much trash everywhere as there are a lot of primitive sites in that area.

#6 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for picking up the trash. The world needs more people like you.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#7 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:26 PM

Thank you for the nice comments. It really isn't a big deal, its just always been a way for me to pass time when camping. We just did a little more this time. What I truly find amazing and impressive is that I admitted being lost and DD didn't use that opening to take a shot at me. :P

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,387 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:37 PM

What I truly find amazing and impressive is that I admitted being lost and DD didn't use that opening to take a shot at me. :P

...............you are not the only one to notice.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:03 AM

Ted Thanks for taking some ownership of the great outdoors.

RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#10 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:47 AM

Posted Image

I don't do Facebook Ted but this would get a "like" from me if I did!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users