#1 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:36 PM

Hey Everyone,

So its time to buy new tires and I am looking for some opinions on tire size. Stock tire for the 4X4 01 Tacoma is a 265/70 R16. The tire sizes I am considering are the 265/75 R16 and the 235/85 R16. I have not decided on whether I will go with a MT or AT tread design. I prefer the tall skinny look on tires but I am wondering if the 235 is just overdoing it. Will I really be sacrificing a significant amount of on-highway stability? I was orginally considering the 255/85 R16 but I think that its just two much tire and will be hard for the rig to handle with a fully loaded ATC Bobcat and stock gearing. Clearance should not be an issue with the 235's or the 265 due to the suspension mods I have made.

Any opinions or experience with these tires and and equivalent setup?

Cort

#2 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:36 AM

If you want to go where I go, up muddy hills you need the MT. :lol:
For most travels the AT will do, but it depends if you go into wet areas for camping.

The MT are also better for gravel and rocks IMO. I have them on my rig and got over 30K out of them. (Toyos)

#3 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:24 AM

Marc....I agree with you about tread selection, but it is always easier for us to believe we do more extreme driving than we really do. I would venture to guess that even the most aggressive offroad driver(with the camper on) on this site spends way more time on the asphalt. I base this on the fact that we all travel great distances to the places we love. While the MT are great in the Mud and rock you sacrifice quite a bit when it comes to driving on wet roads and especially packed snow.

Some more thoughts on tire size. The 235 are looking more and more interesting. Compared to the 265/75 they will have less angular momentum (easier to stop and start). They have less mass....so they should be easier on the suspension, stearing components, drive train and braking system. They should also provide less form drag and rolling resistance...though I have to admit that I don't know how much of a factor that is.

Cort

#4 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:39 AM

Yes, I always set my trucks up for about 80% Asphalt driving. This is what it would take me to go to the places I go.
While i had both At's and MT's I would never go back to the At's.

Once your off the Asphalt is where you really need the set up.

I can't comment on fuel mileage loss, since my truck gets pretty much the same with Street tire or the MT's.
Advantage Cummins :lol:
I would think that you would see a loss of mileage on your truck though between the MT.s vs AT's.

The MT doing fine in the wet. Never had a problem hydroplaning or stopping.
Same in the snow. But then again it's not a daily snow driver.

Just my experience...

#5 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:21 AM

yeah I hear ya Marc.....thanks for the input...I am definitely leaning toward the MT's

Cort

#6 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:23 AM

yeah I hear ya Marc.....thanks for the input...I am definitely leaning toward the MT's

Cort

Toyos!!!
I have to say they really work!!
And they are not too loud either, Guess in a Diesel it won't matter though!!! ;)

#7 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:27 AM

Toyos seem a bit overpriced to me :blink:

#8 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:07 AM

Toyos seem a bit overpriced to me :blink:

Worth every penny!!!!

I had never a flat, problem, rotated them only 2x times over 30k miles of you know where I go...

XP1marc found a good source for them!

#9 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

Cort, I'm a stock kind of guy, and I love my Goodrich AT's.

After lifting my truck a small bit, they look kinda smaller, but still really cool. And Toyota designed the truck for that size tire anyway, so it cant be all bad

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#10 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:55 AM

I had a set of BfG AT on my jeep and decided to change to Mt tire and the noise was just a little to much. I have since moved over to a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Tacoma and so far a great tire on and off the road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users