#91 ersatzknarf

ersatzknarf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

Hi Ted,
Thank you for your comments and I completely understand about Marc protecting his designs. Agreed ! Was not trying to pry any secrets, just excited about this revolutionary concept. I am glad you got to see the progress and I completely respect Marc's privacy, too. If we were not already committed to the direction we are going, I also would be shopping for Tacomas to put a flatbed on. You said it, this really is the most bang for the buck ! ! !
Cheers, Frank ______________ "airsotts-narf" Save a Life, Adopt : http://www.pawsofmichigan.com/

#92 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

A little more on my use of the term "bang for the buck". In some ways that implies the XP campers are expensive but worth it. But what I mean by that is you get a great value. For example, to go out and purchase a one ton truck, flatbed, and full size XP you are looking at about $110k. Expedition like vehicles in that price range include the Sportsmobile and the Earthroamer Jeep. But those are equipped with the same appliances, windows, electrical, etc as most RVs. The XP is equipped more like the big Earthroamer or a GXV with Seitz windows, diesel appliances, and all marine grade hardware. So you are getting an expedition rig for about half of what similarly equipped rigs are costing.

As for the XP V2, it remains to be seen what the price will be. The XP V2 will have better insulation than an aluminum framed camper with canvas, come equipped with high end windows again, the same DC fridge in the full size XP, the porta potti Marc posted about, and solar. So if it is priced competitively with other campers out there it really will be a bargain.

Again, I have no involvement in Marc's business. I am enthusiastic about his campers simply because I have seen them and the construction process and believe nothing else compares.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#93 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

New model, "Curve" ?
Think my wife would like it...
Good to know it has more capacity than the cassette ones.
Knew about the electric flush, but not the TP holder.
Is it at the rear ?

Any updates on the V2 prototype, please ? :D

The curve looks nice, I have the 465E that it is replacing. It will hold 5.5 gal of waste this will weigh about 50#'s. I let mine get full one time it is too heavy full, I now dump earlier. That said it works great and I like the height and elec pump. The site says had optional hold down kit sounds like a must have. I did turn over mine one time (now tied down) waste tank stayed tight, fresh tank all over the camper :(

#94 ersatzknarf

ersatzknarf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hi Bill,
Thank you very much for the advice. I was looking at the 465, before the Curve came out...
Those are good things to remember: empty early and get the hold down kit :blink:
Cheers, Frank ______________ "airsotts-narf" Save a Life, Adopt : http://www.pawsofmichigan.com/

#95 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

The curve looks nice, I have the 465E that it is replacing. It will hold 5.5 gal of waste this will weigh about 50#'s. I let mine get full one time it is too heavy full, I now dump earlier. That said it works great and I like the height and elec pump. The site says had optional hold down kit sounds like a must have. I did turn over mine one time (now tied down) waste tank stayed tight, fresh tank all over the camper :(

Thanks for the info.

I looked at the new Curve but it is too tall to fit in the little cubby hole for the porta potti in my Hawk. The 16.5 in height restriction just fits for the Thetford 465 that I currently use.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#96 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

I get up to Nevada City a couple of times a year. On my next visit I'll have to stop by and see Marc's campers in person. They sound awesome.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#97 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

I get up to Nevada City a couple of times a year. On my next visit I'll have to stop by and see Marc's campers in person. They sound awesome.

Now I feel lazy! I live in NC and I've only been to visit XP once.
It was pretty cool, though.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#98 ersatzknarf

ersatzknarf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Just got the Thetford Curve model, over the long weekend.
My wife is very happy with it ! :D
Did something right, how'd that happen ? ? ? :rolleyes:

Parts are rolling in for the camper.
I particular like this new Porta Pottie which I got courtesy of Thetford.
In many ways better than a cassette toilet for the small space I am dealing with, this little bugger has actually a larger tank capacity than the cassette I am using in the big one.
It operates like a cassette when dumping, and even has an electric flush!
I also like the build in toilet paper holder.
The space occupied by this newest invention from Europe is very small and we have a small cabinet space designed where it lives.

#99 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

Been Busy... :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#100 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

Wow! That looks great, Marc. Good to see it on a truck to get the full visual. That's going to be a great set-up.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users