• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cousinjc

cousinjc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:53 PM

I have a question for those of you who travel with large shedding dogs. How do you manage to keep your camper and truck clean with all that hair? Do you travel with your large dog in or out of cage? I would like to take my dog along but he makes such a mess with all that hair. What to do?

#2 jw

jw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Locationcoos bay, or

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:08 PM

i have two shedding dogs. awe carry a small( i thinks it's a one gallon) shop vacuum. we tidy up when we can. other than that- brush and dustpan.

- jw
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD 2009 FWC Eagle Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags

#3 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

Just a brush and dustpan on the road, and a damp rag to collect hair on cushions. The dog has freedom of the cab and camper. This does require the mindset that dog hair on your clothes is an accessory.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:02 PM

. How do you manage to keep your camper and truck clean with all that hair? What to do?

I traveled to Alaska and Newfoundland with three and some times 4, a couple that shed. I don't keep it very clean, I have an older camper and don't worry about upholstery, a rug on the floor to be shaken out. We carry a horse shed brush that not only works on the dogs but also the back seat. The truck is older and is my travel vehicle only, I don't worry about it and mostly just wait until I get home to deal with it. Bigger concerns is whether they will get sick on the 7 hour ferry ride to Newfoundland :o , shed brush doesn't work so well on that. Worse than that a FWC I met on the road in Colorado last month said his dog managed to tangle with a skunk very early on a month long trip :lol: Funny if it is not your dog.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:28 AM

We put beach towels on the truck seats and floor, sheets on the campers cushions.
A throw rug on the camper floor. Shake it out once 'n a while and live with it.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#6 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:12 AM

We have a yellow lab too and I put a wool Mexican blanket over the couch where he rides, all the hair stays on the blanket. We pull it out in camp and that is his bed.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#7 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:18 AM

My wife and I have been traveling with Golden Retrievers for years in our FWC and also an older Airstream. A lot more fur than a yellow lab. For starters, all the vehicles we own have tan interiors, including the '99 Ford Superduty Extended Cab. The dog/dogs ride behind us with the seats folded down. We lay down a piece of foam and cover it with brown army surplus blankets we picked up at the surplus store. We shake the blankets out periodically and also use a wire bristol dog brush to clean the upholstered "bolster" below the cabs rear window. Inside the FWC, we put old flannel sheets or "dog" towels down on the benches. They can be washed and shaken out. On the floor of both the FWC and the trailer, we lay out more of the brown/tan surplus blankets. They are dense heavy wool, provide insulation on the floor and can easily be shaken out to remove dog fur, grit, dirt and sand. We've even washed them on occasion.
Beyond that, we keep a small broom handy for the camper floor and, most importantly, we don't ever where black fleece. It's the price we pay for happy demeanor, devotion and general good will.

One of the advantages of your yellow lab vs a golden is that they probably dry off quicker after a swim.

Good Luck.

TK

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:25 AM

I have a contender for worlds hairiest dog. I put beach towels on the bench seats and on the truck seats. When camping, I constantly brush him with a Furminator which is great for getting rid of all that loose fur.

Posted Image

#9 1tonpaulie

1tonpaulie

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationJohnsburg, Illinois

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

If you want help from a dog or a shedding cat. Find a pet groomer in your area. Call and ask if they use anti shedding when bathing. Our lab and cat shed all the time. Since the groomer found this anti shed additive we have no more mess. It really works.

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,031 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:37 AM

Furminator looks nice but its pretty pricey. I just go "what hair?".

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users