13 replies to this topic

#1 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:43 AM

Thought I would post a quick synop of our trip to Yosemite.
We had Friday night reservations and an idea to camp out on Evergreen Road on Saturday night.
Our goal was to ride our bikes, do some hiking, take in the waterfalls, and (of course) work on photography. :)

We're lucky to live only five hours away from one of the natural wonders of the world. We loaded up late Thursday night after working a full day in our sometimes demanding careers. Neither one of us was ready to leave early on Friday, so it was a relaxed departure. We told ourselves, "We're on vacation." :lol:

We arrived in the afternoon and checked into Lower Pines, just missing Bill Harr and Kodachrome. We lucked out and our site was right on the Merced. It was sublime with Washington Column and Royal Arches across the river and Half Dome dominating the east horizon. We did have a couple in a Chinook van who felt compelled to run their generator for hours. :huh:

Bikes were the order of the day (and ponchos to approach any of the falls). It's a traffic jamb in Yosemite, so get on foot or on bike. This was our first trip with the bikes, so I brought a six foot ladder to mount them on some garage sale Yak bike racks which plugged onto my existing rack. Pretty easy and fast. We did cringe when driving thru the tunnels being 11'6" tall. :o

The falls were pumping. I used sandals to wade up the Bridalveil Falls trail meeting soaked tourists of all nationalities and got only a few frames before my lens was covered with droplets and autofocus gave up.
Posted Image

We biked to Mirror Lake and hiked up to the footbridge, but we're unable to complete the loop due to 2009 rockfall that closed the trail. I attempted to climb about 500' up to the base of a fall off an arch coming from Basket Dome but gave up when it became steep slabs.

It was wonderful to see the classic sites.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Upper Yosemite Falls

I've always been a big fan of granite. We visited the Le Conte Memorial and we're invited to join a talk on watershed ecology. After sitting through too many slides of charts loaded with data, I found my eye wandering to study the architecture of this magnificent structure.
Posted Image

We decided to do some slumming at the Ahwahnee :) It was uplifting to tour the grand hotel and imagine Ansel climbing the fireplace during winter high-jinks.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Some of the residences on Ahwahnee Meadows were pretty nice too
Posted Image

After 30 hours in the Valley we left to visit Evergreen Road on the way Camp Mather. We found a wonderful site on NFS land with equipped fire ring. I made a blazing fire of cedar and pine.

Our next day was a hike to Hetch Hetchy. To be continiued . . .
Posted Image

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

Never a bad pic at Yosemite. Thanks

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

A happy couple, a pop up camper, Yosemite and last light on Half Dome, who could ask for anything more? Great photos and story, anxiously awaiting the next installment.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:51 PM

Great report, sorry we missed you. The bikes do look high on top for the tunnels and low trees. I just ordered axel holders to make a mount for the bikes on the back will post pictures when done. Looking forward to your next report.

Bill

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:20 PM

After spending Friday and Saturday in Yosemite, we left for Hetch Hetchy. BTW, at 8am the Campground Reservation desk (parking lot with old apple trees near Curry) takes a waiting list for cancellations that day. At 3pm sharp they read off the list and if you are there and you got your name on the list early that morning, you probably can get a site. Convoluted, I know.

Just outside the Park is Evergreen Road which is mostly NFS land. There were climbers and various folks camping right on the side of the road, but we kept on going until nearly Evergreen Lodge. We found a wonderful site on a spur and had a nice fire and enjoyed the evening. The next day we went through Camp Mather en route to Hetch Hetchy, a place I have never visited.

Posted Image

We re-entered the Park, showing our $20 pass and enjoyed the drive to the dam(n) ;)
Wildflowers were in abundance along the side of the road. Interestingly the flora runs hotter here with ghost pines and oak chaparral. The dam is amazing and you can feel the force of the water churning below.

Posted Image

Our goal was to hike to Tueeulala Fall and Wapama Falls on the far side; a five mile hike.
The day was warm and the parking was crowded. Apparently it is a popular destination, although there's not much to do here. We admired the flowers and got drenched by the falls.

Posted Image
Tueeulala Falls

Posted Image
The bottom of Wapama Falls

Crossing the footbridge at Wapama looked a little risky, but mostly it was about having fun getting wet.
Posted Image

Posted Image

On the way back we found a sweet spot above the trail where a smaller waterfall was feeding a wet meadow full of flowers and grasses.
Posted Image

And butterflies! There was a cluster of zebra swallowtails that were actively feeding on a salt lick or similar. The ground smelled strongly like urine, so I don't know if it's an animal marking its' spot or minerals that were smelly, but the butterflies were lovin' it.
Posted Image

We also saw a friendly gopher snake both hiking out and returning.
Posted Image

But all good things come to an end, so we hiked back to our truck with our 13 year old lab sleeping comfortably inside :D I treated Susan to a smoothie and some coffee at the Camp Mather General Store and we sat on the deck and soaked in the sounds of summer. Ahhh.

We returned to 120 W by using Cherry Road to make a loop which was a nice ride; all paved.
We watched the sun hang in the westering sky, nearly to the solstice as I raced the sun to get home. It beat us, we didn't get back until 9.30pm on a Sunday so Monday was a little slow. It's all worth it.

Posted Image

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

We're sold! Will leave after work Thursday and find a spot on Evergreen so we can spend Friday in the Valley. Obligations over the weekend will force us home early but the falls running like this are too much to miss. :D

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#7 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

Great report and pics, these Yosemite reports are starting to push me over the edge as we are only 5 hours away ourselves. Thanks for the motivation! x2 on the shot of you and Susan under Half Dome, NICE.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

We're sold! Will leave after work Thursday and find a spot on Evergreen so we can spend Friday in the Valley. Obligations over the weekend will force us home early but the falls running like this are too much to miss. :D

Sent you a PM with map info for Evergreen, Ted. (tip o' the hat to BSS who shared this spot)
If you have the time, and you will be only 30 mins away, check out Hetch Hetchy.

Andy

#9 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Wish I lived closer to the Valley.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD