14 replies to this topic

#1 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:11 AM

Hey, it worked last time when we were trying to figure out where to stay near Yosemite, so Susan says post it and ask. :rolleyes: We're seeking an off-grid site near Mt. Rose / Spooner / Carson / East Tahoe.

We are looking at a weekend in August up at Tahoe, specifically the east shore.
We like the east side for kayaking out of Sand Harbor and to catch a play at the Shakespeare festival. It's her birthday and I'm doing my best to accommodate. :)

We've stayed at Zepher Cove (now $45/night!) and Mt. Rose (fully booked) and Tahoe SRA at Tahoe City (way too city-fied!), but are wishing to find something less . . . RV oriented :mellow:

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

I'm not aware of anything near the lake but will be interested to see if somebody else is. About the closest I can get you is Burnside Lake. At the intersection of 88 and 89, go south on the dirt road about five miles.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#3 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

Ok, if you are interested in the Burnside Lake area, instead of driving up a long dusty road to a little lake and only a few campsites where I have seen some strange people (I decided not to stay there due to the strange folks I saw sleeping in their cars, etc.) try the following.

Coming from Tahoe on 89 at the intersection 88 / 89 where you would go across (south) from 89 to the dirt road up to Burnside. Take a left on 88. There are many free camps sites on the left side of the road along the river a few miles down toward Woodsford. Or, turn right on 88 and you can camp in the trees (on the right side) as you bend around the corner toward the Blue Lakes road which turns off to the left as you are heading west on 88. You can also camp off to the right about 5 miles or so down Blue lakes road.

Since you have boats, if you camp in the trees as mentioned above there actually is a little lake up the side of the mountain there where you can use your boats. Its a bit of a drive up the side of the hill, but I have seen cars make it.

Have fun and I hope this makes any sense.

Darryl
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

Thanks Ted and Darryla.

I did some research about the Martis Peak area, since we are planning on the NE side of the lake. I had done some mountain biking out there years ago and remembered some jeeps being there. There's Martis Peak Lookout (paved) with TNF roads coming off of that and Gas Line Rd, both off of Hwy 267. Looks like there might be access above Kings Beach too.

I found TNF has pretty up to date info on OHV access and gate closures:
Tahoe Roads and Campgrounds

On the same site there is a pdf map that is very helpful in determining which roads are open to regular rigs. I would attach it, but it takes a while to download. I'm guessing it will be ok if we pop the top and spend the night since it's national forest.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

Here's the Motorized Vehicle Use Map link for north Tahoe

Tahoe OHV map

#6 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:02 AM

Thanks Ted and Darryla.

I did some research about the Martis Peak area, since we are planning on the NE side of the lake. I had done some mountain biking out there years ago and remembered some jeeps being there. There's Martis Peak Lookout (paved) with TNF roads coming off of that and Gas Line Rd, both off of Hwy 267. Looks like there might be access above Kings Beach too.

I found TNF has pretty up to date info on OHV access and gate closures:
Tahoe Roads and Campgrounds

On the same site there is a pdf map that is very helpful in determining which roads are open to regular rigs. I would attach it, but it takes a while to download. I'm guessing it will be ok if we pop the top and spend the night since it's national forest.

Lighthawk,

We used to camp to the west, across Brockway from Martis near the summit of Mt Watson. The OHV maps shows some of the roads near Watson Lake south of Mt Pluto (North Star Ski Resort). It would be in that area that I would look for a wide spot on one of those logging roads.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#7 11chuck

11chuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:35 PM

Behind Northstar, the road is called the fiberboard freeway. You can access at brockway summit on HWY 267 the road will take you to Tahoe City. There is one primitive CG at Watson "lake" (more like a pond, no fee I don't remember if there is even a toilet) there are plenty of pull outs along the logging roads that are off the main road. You can get to the top of Mt Watson if your adventurous, for a killer view of the lake. This time of year there will be a bunch of logging and construction traffic but it is easy to avoid. Great access to the sawtooth ridge mountain bike trail, reasonably good access to the east shore for kayaking. Martis peak access is in the same area, just further down hwy 267 the area has the same profile as the fiberboard mentioned above. This is about as far off the grid you can get without getting to far from the east shore of the lake, if you don't mind being away from the east shore there is always the west shore. The west shore has great National Forest access and state parks like DL Bliss which is lake front and has great access to launch a boat and paddle right along the cliffs and into emerald bay (but it's probably booked). I lived in Tahoe for many years and always chose to get out of there on the weekends (VERY crowded), but good luck.

#8 11chuck

11chuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

Fiberboard freeway is the locals name for the road, on your map its 73

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

Thanks, Chuck. I had always heard of the fiberboard freeway and now it's all coming into focus. Either the Watson side or the Martis side of 267 looks like our best bet to access TNF. I also noticed some access off Hwy 50 at Spooner Summit, heading south. Wonder what that's like?

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:23 PM

NDOT maintience station just west of Spooner / SR 28 there is a road behind it that will take you to Kingsberry Grade. Could drive in and selth camp. Is that you are seeing?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users