7 replies to this topic

#1 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

The city of Los Alamos is under evacuation from the Las Conchas fire. On the Albuquerque news I heard that the escape route being used had just been freshly graded, but was only graded for cars and light trucks. They were specifically telling people to not take oversized RVs on the road.

Our small truck campers make good Family Emergency Vehicles for a variety of reasons, and being small appears to be one of them.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

The city of Los Alamos is under evacuation from the Las Conchas fire. On the Albuquerque news I heard that the escape route being used had just been freshly graded, but was only graded for cars and light trucks. They were specifically telling people to not take oversized RVs on the road.

Our small truck campers make good Family Emergency Vehicles for a variety of reasons, and being small appears to be one of them.

I've always thought this too. I'm not much of a dooms dayer but I keep my camper well stocked at all times and I like knowing that if the poop really hit the fan we could bug out at a moments notice and live out of that thing for a couple of weeks with ease.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:10 PM

....and I like knowing that if the poop really hit the fan....

Are you referring to after mexican night at the local tavern?
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#4 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

Huh?
Must be a northern border reference.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:02 PM

Definitely NOT! Posted Image

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#6 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:57 PM

Both my campers would make excellent FEVs. Which one would depend on the circumstances. My trailer is an 18' Rugged Terrain with 60 gallons of fresh water plus much more room for necessities. But if I need fast and agile the pop up would be the first choice.

One problem with either is time of year. Either is fine for summer. In winter they both are sitting behind my house winterized and often under snow.

I do keep 3 bug out bags packed and ready. One with survival gear, one with warm clothes, sleeping bags and small tent, one with MRE heater meals and water filters. We keep our prescription meds in a plastic tub so they can also be gathered in one swoop.

Which direction we go depends on the threat. If it is nuclear I am heading for the corner store. Get a carton of Marlboro reds (quit smoking 5 years ago) and a couple half gallons of Jack. Sit out on my patio and watch the pretty lights. See you in the next go round!!!
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#7 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

We just had this conversation at my house a few weeks ago. My wife insisted that I build a survival kit as seen on www.ready.gov.

I tried to tell her I already 'built' one - it was sitting in the driveway - in the back of the truck. She didn't agree and I now have a tuperware bin in the garage filled with stuff. My plan would still be to take the camper - and if I grad the bin obn the way out - I'd be set for even more days, so it is all good and it makes my wife happy.

For the record, I am 100% not worried about any of this stuff
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#8 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

For the record, I am 100% not worried about any of this stuff

And I certainly hope you never need it for emergency use!

Living where I do, I've been close to being evacuated three times for forest fires, but have dodged the bullets so far (knock on wood). Even with defensible space, if a crown fire got started in my area, I might have only a little time to evacuate. Having the FWC ready to go during fire season gives me peace of mind, no question.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users