• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:39 PM

I only had a few days but the 107 temp drove me out of S. NM up to the nearest high country not closed due to fire hazards
This is a shot of the Pacheco fire just N of Santa Fe.
Posted Image
Found some snow near 10,000', this is just below Wolf Creek Pass.
Posted Image
Same spot, just a forest road off US550 where I have spent the night a couple of times
Posted Image
This waterfall is across the highway, don't think many people know it is there
Posted Image
Dogs like the camp, Lost Trail Campground, free, mostly empty, 17 miles of dirt off CO149
Posted Image
Reason for pulling the trailer
Posted Image
Posted Image
Might be something under there
Posted Image
No treated water at Lost Trail CG but this works
Posted Image
On the way home near Chama, NM
Posted Image
Then back home, two weeks and back out there :D
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#2 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:22 AM

My favorite part of the state. Alot of snow still up there for sure!
RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#3 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:43 AM

Great pics Barko! Love seeing that flowing water.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#4 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:44 AM

Hey, Barko, looks like all you all have been having a great time up there in the San Juans. Thanks for the photos!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:49 AM

Yeah Barko...always on an adventure!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#6 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:08 AM

Hey, Barko, looks like all you all have been having a great time up there in the San Juans. Thanks for the photos!

Only 250 miles for you Stew! I suspect you can find nice cool places closer.

Functional notes: I had installed a low pressure drop auxiliary trans cooler on the F250 and it seems to have resulted in a good 20 - 30 degree temp drop. I was carrying the camper and pulling 2000# so I was just over 11,000# and even going up Wolf Creek I topped at around 170 degrees, the next day in higher temps (95+) with some good hills going South it was about the same so I'm very pleased and really think it is one of the "really ought to's" What led me to that was installing the temp gauge :o

Also I like my new screen door but will add a little crossbar on the bottom to try to minimize dog damage.

Wave 3 was used for a couple hours, still works like a champ.

I had battery issues, my little 7w solar charge regulator was telling me all was well although the battery indicator wasn't indicating anything and when I turned on my inverter it started screaming that I was down to 10v which seemed accurate as the Coleman/Stirling 12v fridge was giving me the low voltage warning as well. Got to where my LED lights were dim. After a charge by running the truck things perked up but again went low. I drove it home and am back to 12.7. I just turned the fridge on and will see what happens, usually the solar would be plenty to keep it well charged (75w). The batteries (2) are suspect as they were cheap and are getting several years old so I wouldn't be surprised if they are dying but the charge controller is also suspect as it was indicating a maintenance charge when the batteries were about dead, it should have been indicating full charge mode. I was sitting below Wolf Creek Pass getting AT&T on the IPad so I ordered a new controller from there :lol: I have another trip coming up and I need to have everything working right. I guess if the batteries drop I'll swap the controller and see what happens and if they still die I'll replace them with a pair of 6v I have in my other camper. Any thoughts?

#7 1tonpaulie

1tonpaulie

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationJohnsburg, Illinois

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

Hey Barko
I really like the picture of the drz in the swimming hole. Your pictures are really great. Please keep them coming.

Paulie

#8 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

Hey Barko
I really like the picture of the drz in the swimming hole. Your pictures are really great. Please keep them coming.

Paulie

I thought you'd like that one :) I tried to avoid one pool and ended up stuck in muck, my daughter pulled a bit while I gassed it and pushed and the knobbies got it out. If you ever head West let me know and I can show you some great riding.

#9 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

I had battery issues

I would suspect the batteries, after all they are a "wear-out item".

A Hydrometer is cheap will show the status of each cell. I am surprised this isn't mentioned more often when batteries are discussed.

Jeff
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#10 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

I would suspect the batteries, after all they are a "wear-out item".

A Hydrometer is cheap will show the status of each cell. I am surprised this isn't mentioned more often when batteries are discussed.

Jeff

I 2 amp charged them all night and still low this am, increased to a 10 amp charge. I have a hydrometer, may check them. I suspect a bad battery might be making the charge controller goofy as well??? When I added the battery I just used one that I had for a trolling motor and the other was older so I have been waiting for something to crap out. I'll fix it next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users