21 replies to this topic

#11 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

Great trip & pics but 116-120 !!! We reserve that part of NV for the late fall, winter, early spring. What are you, mad dogs or englishmen?

Last name is Cornish, so I'll go with englishman. But mad dog is probably more true. Actually, the long term forecast didn't look bad a week before the trip, so we decided to include it in the itinerary. I like to use this line a lot and feel it applies to me in this case: He chose... poorly.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

It was great to spend an evening with the Teds, swap some tales, and enjoy a couple of new roasts, especially in such a nice spot. The Lady is still enjoying the not so speedy speed goat photo! It looks like your scenic route home was pretty neat. Thanks for the trip report, from your fellow great basin addicts..............and we will continue backing you up and standing at your defense. Wander on!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

Nice report Ted, you guys really covered some ground. Glad you were able to meet up with the 3pins. Great pics.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#14 F Ben Ross

F Ben Ross

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

Some of that looks familiar...Cool snake!
F. Ben Ross- 2006 Dodge Power Wagon 345ci 6spd stick-2005 hallmark Milner LX.

#15 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

We loved the tour de Monitor with Toquima Cave, which was our first FWC outing last Labor Day. It was hot at Belmont, but not over 100F. You must have some crazy Englishmen in your blood.

Great photos, Ted! That's quite a tour. How many miles did you pull? We just did 600 up and around Modoc/Warner and will be posting a trip report soon.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#16 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

Some of that looks familiar...Cool snake!

Yup, most of our trip outside of Monitor Valley was based on your trip report, so thank you for the great info. Green Mountain is just the right distance for us to make when leaving after work and heading out 50. We'll use that spot again. Got skunked on the leaf fossils by Middlegate but that is where the photo of the horses is from so still a good stop. I really wanted to see the hangars. Did you see the old wing frame in the first one? Very cool. Maybe in cooler weather we will explore Mt Irish more thoroughly.

How many miles did you pull?

As usual, we tried to cram too much into our alloted time. Even with skipping the Lunar craters, we totaled about 1350 miles. Averaged 13.7 mpg. Average gas cost of $3.89.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#17 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:17 AM

Yeah I tell ya Nevada is moving up my favorite state list pretty fast over the last year. Thanks for the great repot Ted!

- Evil Overloard DD

#18 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for the report, Ted. :)
The northern part of your trip is definitely some of my favorite territory. Amazing that the pronghorn didn't scoot immediately...cool.
Did you eat at the Little A'Le'Inn in Rachel? A few years ago I dipped further south than usual and also traveled the Extraterrestrial Highway and stopped in Rachel -- it's a pretty funny scene. At the Little A'Le'Inn I had an "Alien Burger"...it tasted just like hamburger!
Posted Image Posted Image

I tell ya Nevada is moving up my favorite state list pretty fast over the last year.

I think Nevada is at the top of my list...has been for a while.
(California would probably qualify for that spot if only it had 30 million fewer people Posted Image)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#19 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

Great trip and report Ted. We also drove through Rachel in Sept. '09 on our way back from Zion via Cathedral Gorge and the place was deserted. We hadn't intended to take that route but the weather had gotten cold and we decided on the southerly road home. Very interesting drive. Ended up spending the night at Horton Creek CG just outside of Bishop and home the following day.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#20 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:38 AM

What a great trip for you and an excellent report. You got it all: wildlife, ghost town, rock art, and meeting with friends.
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users