47 replies to this topic

#11 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:48 PM

Kinda interesting video on the micro canning system being used by a good micro brewer here, they use 16oz cans.
Great for packs, floats, road trips.

http://www.cask.com/...php?page_id=152

That's very cool!
It also looks very slow...but for small batches it seems like it would get around the huge capital/equipment investment stated in the OPB story I linked to. I wonder if it's possible to buy the empty cans in relatively small lots...rather than the 150,000 at a time quoted in the OPB story.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#12 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

I wonder if it's possible to buy the empty cans in relatively small lots...rather than the 150,000 at a time quoted in the OPB story.

I worked in an Coca-Cola plant in college for a while - we'd get entire 48' semi loads of cans at a time. The way the truck was packed and unpacked it almost required it to be 100% full, or you'd start having things tip over, fall, come undone, etc. The cans are so flimsy and slippery when they are empty and have no tops. It would be tough to ship small lots of cans. Maybe ship them in special crates or reusable rigid containers or something...

It was pretty amazing to see the volume and speed a huge can line could crank out.

The amount of waste in the canning room was also amazing, you had to wear knee high rubber boots to keep dry.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#13 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:50 AM

Speaking of "Beer-in cans", the wife and I got back home to Portland late Friday night from a weeklong trip out in far NE Oregon (Hells Canyon & the Imnaha River area). After unpacking Saturday AM, we saw that the CANS BEER FEST was in play from noon to 10 at one of the local pubs. That's one of the things that is simultaneously great and frustrating about this town. Too many beer choices. Anyway, we cruised down to check it out and found 32 different craft beers in cans from 17 different breweries from all over the US. They offered "tastes" for sampling, as well as full cans. Obviously, we couldn't try them all but it was great fun.

#14 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:37 AM

I'm not surprised not many do cans. We use a depalletizer, filler, casepacker and palletizer (along with some auxiliary equipment, conveyors etc) to do the job. But hey, if you need some cans and don't care what they say on them, I can get you a few.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#15 Eshelman

Eshelman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

Always in search of good canned beer options for river trips...

So far, these guys are in the lead...

Oskar Blues

Unfortunately for me....can't get it in Utah.

#16 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:51 AM

My pending Grandby remodel is going to have a built-in nook for a corny keg so I can dispense homebrew and hard cider. (I made about 500 gallons of cider last year and do a lot of trading for beer.) It's just too much effort to deal with bottles, especially on camping trips when so many empties are generated.
FWC-Owning Human

#17 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

From here in Oregon, more news about craft-beer in cans:

Posted Image

" Beer with a can-do attitude
More breweries embracing aluminum as equipment costs drop"
The Register-Guard (Eugene)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#18 randygirl

randygirl

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

The dogs sure enjoy beer in a can....
https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 (LBZ) Duramax Diesel& 2002 Hawk, 2 dogs and a lust for adventure ;-) 

#19 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:01 AM

Ah shucks Randy, giving a dog Budweiser is animal cruelty. I'm going to report you PETA (people eating tasty animals). :lol:

Mike

#20 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

Ah shucks Randy, giving a dog Budweiser is animal cruelty. I'm going to report you PETA (people eating tasty animals). :lol:

Mike

Giving Budweiser to anyone is cruel. Even when I was a kid 'stealing' a sip of beer I knew budweiser didn't taste like the rest...
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users