• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:04 AM

Another great trip report here! I also had no idea Vya was actually a functioning community nowadays.

Get any good sheep pictures out that way?

#22 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:10 AM

tually a functioning community nowadays.

Get any good sheep pictures out that way?

Lonely? :o
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#23 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

Great Trip Report!!! B)

I spent a long weekend camped at Virgin Valley with my dual sport MC club. Talk about off road paradise!!!!

You were also close to the B 17 crash site. I never made it up there but the rest of the group did. Very rough trail and only my 2nd year riding I turned around after crashing twice!!! Was wishing for my quad at that time!!!! :D
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#24 locrwln

locrwln

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:28 AM

Great Trip Report!!! B)

I spent a long weekend camped at Virgin Valley with my dual sport MC club. Talk about off road paradise!!!!

You were also close to the B 17 crash site. I never made it up there but the rest of the group did. Very rough trail and only my 2nd year riding I turned around after crashing twice!!! Was wishing for my quad at that time!!!! :D

Thanks and yes it is.

B-17 crash?? Got any info? I would love to keep that in mind the next time.

Jack

2007 Chevy 2500HD Max/Ali combo 2008 FWC Hawk Shell

My build thread:  http://www.expeditio...007-Chevy-Build

#25 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

Thanks and yes it is.

B-17 crash?? Got any info? I would love to keep that in mind the next time.

Jack

Sorry, it was a B24. My link
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#26 locrwln

locrwln

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

Sorry, it was a B24. My link

Awesome, thanks for the link. Might have to see if we can find it the next time we are up there, which should be in a couple of weekends. We'll see.

Thanks again,

Jack

2007 Chevy 2500HD Max/Ali combo 2008 FWC Hawk Shell

My build thread:  http://www.expeditio...007-Chevy-Build

#27 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:09 PM

Anybody else remember (back in the early-'90s) that family (husband, wife, baby -- the Stolpas) that headed east from Cedarville at Xmas -- as a shortcut to Idaho -- and traveled along 8A. Naturally, they got stuck in the snow on that unmaintained-road for several days or more...they tried to walk on/out, etc. Long-story-short: Mom and Dad lost their feet to freezing, but the baby was just fine.
They made a TV movie out of the story, starring Neil Patrick Harris. The story (the actual story, not the movie) intrigued me because I'd been through and camped in the area...but not in the dead of winter! I love winter camping, but I avoid areas where I'll get stuck. Posted Image

Stolpa Story Part 1
Stolpa Story Part 2

FYI When we were alerted about the stolpas being lost out there we had crews out everywhere and---- -after they were rescued they tried to sue the Nevada Road dept, the BLM and the usfs (no where near the area) because they couldn't read the sign that says "not passable during inclemit weather" because it was covered by snow ; the judge threw it out. These people did everything wrong and it was only by a luck that they all didn't die! They looked right at our rescue crew later and said we don't want to do it but our lawyers told us to sue. Makes you wonder why we still do our job and these types of things still happen-sorry for bitching, but any fool knows you don't go into that country (as neat as it is ) unprepared, especially in the winter-based on someone telling them it was a short cut. Anyway that country is great and i miss not being out there everyday-but I have my fwc to make me feel better!
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#28 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:10 PM

Yeah, it depends on which map you are using/looking at on whether it is called New Year's Lake or Crook's Lake.

Jack

On different maps it had different names, but most of us in BLM called it Crooks Lake (at least back in the 80's/90's) What a wonderful trip you people had-brought me back all those wonderful years working in and flying over that country! This year was a wet year, so lot's of dry lakes get both water and rushes and wildlife, never forget one year out saw some poor old bull standing in water up to his knees, with a sort of a what the hell is this stuff on my dry lake bed look on his face (climate change at work)! I have not been up in the High Rock NCA since it was officially made one, but I hear there are lots of Big Horns up there now-

Smokecreek
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#29 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:48 PM

FYI When we were alerted about the stolpas being lost out there we had crews out everywhere and---- -after they were rescued they tried to sue the Nevada Road dept, the BLM and the usfs (no where near the area) because they couldn't read the sign that says "not passable during inclemit weather" because it was covered by snow ; the judge threw it out. These people did everything wrong and it was only by a luck that they all didn't die! They looked right at our rescue crew later and said we don't want to do it but our lawyers told us to sue. Makes you wonder why we still do our job and these types of things still happen-sorry for bitching, but any fool knows you don't go into that country (as neat as it is ) unprepared, especially in the winter-based on someone telling them it was a short cut. Anyway that country is great and i miss not being out there everyday-but I have my fwc to make me feel better!

Ain't that the truth!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#30 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

after they were rescued they tried to sue the Nevada Road dept, the BLM and the usfs (no where near the area) because they couldn't read the sign that says "not passable during inclemit weather" because it was covered by snow ; the judge threw it out. These people did everything wrong and it was only by a luck that they all didn't die! They looked right at our rescue crew later and said we don't want to do it but our lawyers told us to sue.

I never heard this sleazy part of the story, but it doesn't surprise me. Posted Image
"our lawyers told us to sue"??? And what kind of gun were the lawyers holding to their heads?
But at least the judge was sane...too bad he couldn't take the kid away from those losers.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users