Back From Alaska

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:27 AM

We arrived home last night after spending 14 days in Alaska. Gas is expensive, food outrageous, fishing horrible, rained every day by the barrel full, but we still had a great time.
After leaving Haines ak on the ferry to Juneau where we stayed at the Mendenhall glacier campsite one night then it was on the fast ferry to Petersburg. if you need to take a ferry in AK., and can take the fast ferry. travels at 38+ knots per hour. Very comfortable seats and a great ride.
We arived in Petersburg and were booked into the Frog's RV park for the entire 9 days in Petersburg. the site is right by the ocean just south of town. Np picknick tables are at any sites or fire pits. Could not have a fire anyway because of the constant downpour. The Fgog's site is near the alaska marine barge terminal which is quite noisy, but interesting to watch.
The Trees rv park 11 miles from town is really surrounded by trees and seemed somewhat dark when we drove through. there are a couple of camping sites south of town which did not seem too bad but they are about 20 - 22 miles out. We saw loads of deer. The boat we rented for 7 days was very good and worked like a charm. I am glad we had the hard top with a heater in it. Cost for that 300.00 a day. Jensen Boat rentals. came with rods for salmon and halibut, a crab pot, fish net, radio, fish finder, 150 HP yamaha and 9.9 kicker. Well worth the money.
Food at the grocery store was bag of chips 6.29, baguette loaf of bread 5.29, one cucumber 4.50. Those are the bad ones I remembered.
The old FWC Fleet worked like a charm. The roof which we have never touched still does not leak. The rest of the camper came through with flying colours in the rain as well.
I had added a drip cap over the door to have the rain drip away from the base of the door and that worked so did not have any water under the door.
We left petersburg two days earlier than expected as fishing was so poor along with the weather. We arrived in Whitehorse on Friday and stayed until Sunday morning then drove home.
In Whitehorse we stayed at the Wolf Creek Government Campground. This is a real good campsite. 12.00 a night for non residents and comes with free firewood. Sites are not too close together. If you are travelling in British Columbia, Yukon, Alaska, don't be afraid to try the government campsites. The cost is usually much less than private campsites. Most though do not have any electricity or sewer. I do not think any Yukon government campsites have power or sewer. But fot 12 bucks and a good quiet place to stay free firewood, water by hand pump it is a pretty good deal. Or just pick a spot and park for the night almost anywhere. Including a famous parking lot in whitehorse.
Robbie

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

Sounds like a great trip.We can't wait for our august trip to Denali .We have put off going any place far until then.Wanted to go to Yellowstone but the weather and camping areas we like didn't work out.We are looking forward to staying at the places you have suggested.Do we need to get a camping permit for the Yukon?I have seen mention of this in some readings.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

Frank, Re the camping permits. No you do not need one nor can non residents buy them. Just pay the fee at the campground after you have chosen a site and set up. The envelopes and pay boxes are always near the entrance to the campgrounds.
There is a slot to deposit the envelope and fee.
A part of the envelope rips off and you clip on the post at the site you are staying in. I am pretty certain the fee is 12.00 a night. the wood is always dry too.
Water is from a hand pump. A sign is posted usually saying to boil the water but we never have...
I doubt you will have any problems getting a spot at any of the campgrounds. No reservations are taken. first come first served..
Have a great trip. I ma thinking of heading back to alaska in October. But have some hunting to do first.

Robbie

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:58 PM

Frank, Re the camping permits. No you do not need one nor can non residents buy them. Just pay the fee at the campground after you have chosen a site and set up. The envelopes and pay boxes are always near the entrance to the campgrounds.
There is a slot to deposit the envelope and fee.
A part of the envelope rips off and you clip on the post at the site you are staying in. I am pretty certain the fee is 12.00 a night. the wood is always dry too.
Water is from a hand pump. A sign is posted usually saying to boil the water but we never have...
I doubt you will have any problems getting a spot at any of the campgrounds. No reservations are taken. first come first served..
Have a great trip. I ma thinking of heading back to alaska in October. But have some hunting to do first.

Robbie

Thanks Robbie.In reading about campgrounds it doesn't mention anything about resident or non.Thanks for clearing this up.We are looking forward to camping at some of the spots we have read about.The payment drill is the same as most camps without a host so we are accustomed to that.May be we will cross paths.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:35 AM

Thanks Robbie.In reading about campgrounds it doesn't mention anything about resident or non.Thanks for clearing this up.We are looking forward to camping at some of the spots we have read about.The payment drill is the same as most camps without a host so we are accustomed to that.May be we will cross paths.

Frank

We are pretty well at the cross roads of the alaska highway and the cassiar so hope we can connect..

robbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users