#1 agate

agate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTwo Harbors, MN

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

I had a small problem with my pressurized water system yesterday. It seems that the valve connected to the clear plastic clean out hose on my 2009 Hawk's system sprung a leak on the backside and slowly dripped a couple three gallons into the cabinet and floor soaking the cushions etc.... sort of sucked, but not the worst.

We discussd the pressure system a bit and discovered that we both seem to turn it on a bit different. I crack the faucet a bit open then hit the pressure switch. My wife just hits the switch. Would either of these ways of operation have an affect n this leaky valve? It looks like a cheap $5 valve so maybe it is just time.

Also, the leaky valve has two different hose/pipe clamps. The one side the clear clean out hose is connected to the valve with a pipe clamp that works with a screw driver, pretty straight forward for a guy like me! The other side is crimped type thing, never saw this type of hose/pipe clamp before. How do I get that off?

This should be a fairly straight forward issue to solve.............Sorry for no pics, the camera is charging.

agate
2012 Ford F250 XLT Crew Cab w/2010 Hawk

minobimaadiziwin <Living the Good Life!>

#2 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:54 AM

We are now on our second rig with a pressurized system and at times will leave the pump on for hours without ever having had a leak. The way you choose to turn off the pump really doesn't matter if the system is tight. If you want to relieve the pressure just turn the pump off and run a little water from both hot and cold sides.

The crimped connection you're seeing is likely a pex type crimp ring (solid copper) or a pex type clamp ring (bulkier looking silver ring). No matter which type it is you will have to cut the pipe/tubing to remove the valve or buy a specialized tool for removal of the ring. If it is a pex connection the reconnect requires either a pex crimping tool (about $100.00) or you can use Sharkbite and plastic slip connectors. Both are available on line or at a good hardware store or at Lowe's/Home Depot. Best of Luck.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#3 agate

agate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

If I can get that Pex one off the lower sideof the valve and get a new valve, would it be ok to use a small hose clamp instead of the Pex? Is there an advantage to the Pex vs, hose clamp that works with a screw driver?

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

agate

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hello agate

Please call Terry in our service department when you have a free moment.

He might be able to give you some helpful tips & tricks to change that part out.

FWC SERVICE

ASK FOR TERRY

1-800-242-1442

Thanks !

:)

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

agate,

Unfortunately a standard hose clamp won't work on pex pipe, the pipe is much too rigid. I'd call FWC service and get their advice on the best approach to the repair.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#6 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

Try 4WH first.

Also, perhaps a local plumber that works with PEX products may be able to help.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#7 agate

agate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

Thanks Stan and all......I will call Terry. I think I can find a friend in the trades that works with Pex.

agate

#8 agate

agate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

I spoke to Terry at FWC and he was a great help, thanks....a friend reccomended that I switch out the Pex type valve with a plastic compression valve that can work with Pex tube. Seems like they use this set up in Lake Superior boats with drinking and wash water plumbing, which is very very close to the types of 12 V systems that RV folk use.

Anybody have and experience with these compression fittings and use w/ Pex?

agate

#9 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

"three gallons into the cabinet and floor soaking the cushions etc.... sort of sucked, but not the worst."

Just be happy it was not from the portapotty. Our leak was from a displaced "O" ring, fortunately on the upper container.

As for clean up, isn't that why God created heat waves and dry Utah air.

g.
[/quote]

#10 agate

agate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:22 AM

I ended up putting a plastic compression valve on the pex. Loaded up with water and tried it under pressure. No problems. Decided at the last minute to head North to Grand Portage Reservation to check out the flow on Partridge Falls on Pigeon River. Had a great time, no leaks, no more water issues. Forogt the camera, blueberries were still green, urg another couple of weeks..........we only have round bouts 6 more weeks till leaves change. Anyhow, compression works with pex, so far!

agate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users