Photo
- - - - -

What would you change about your camper?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:22 AM

What features of your FWC do you feel could use some improvement? Here's my list:

The sink faucet needs to be a bit longer (even half an inch would make a difference). As it is, the faucet is difficult to get anything under.

The furnace could use improvements. In a tiny space like the FWC, it should start and stop more frequently rather than run for a long time. It get's way too hot. Also, it seems to be hard to start after I haven't used it for a while.

The water pump could be better insulated.

The cabinetry needs to be redesigned for easier access to internal components. To get to the water pump, I had to take out screws AND pry staples out of one panel. I won't even put that particular panel back.

The panel over the water tank and closest to the kitchen side needs to be better supported. This is the only place to stand to reach the bed while making it or the back window, and mine broke when the small wood screws pulled out of the wood.

A fiberglass hard top that could be stood on would be nice.

An integrated shower privacy system would make the external shower much more feasible.

I love my FWC, and I'm nitpicking here more than criticizing.

#2 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:50 AM

Could you or possibly any others post a photo or two of the inside of your FWC? Everyone shows the outside with good looking photo's of their rig with the camper on board but I would like a good look at the inside. My Sportsmobile is the EB model so I have about 10-12 ft of living space. I would like to compare the set up and convenience to what I use...Thanks...

#3 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:42 AM

It's a small space so pics are tough. There are a couple in the gallery:

https://www.wanderthewest.com/photo/27/

https://www.wanderthewest.com/photo/28/

#4 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:02 AM

Hey, thanks for the interior photo's. Checked out the gallery. Lot of great photos. I have a lot of room in my SMB. But if things were different I'm sure I could get use to a FWC interior.
A little off subject but have you ever taken any photos of the mining town of Dawson City in the Yukon? I took a couple of photos in August on my trip back from Alaska. I was checking out your mining town trip on the other posts from the site. Nice trip photos. Keep 'em coming...

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:38 PM

I haven't been to the Yukon yet, but it's definately on my list of places to visit.

#6 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:17 PM

Here is a photo of Dawson City, Yukon. Notice the dirty Sportsmobile! Neat little mining town. The last stop on the Klondike Gold rush trail, 1896. Had to take a ferry from the "Top Of The World" hwy accross the Yukon to get to town ( From the North).

Attached Thumbnails

• phpyg9NLjAM.jpg

#7 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

Here's a photo taken at 2330 hrs (11:30PM) at sunset from the "Top Of The World" highway on August 25th.

Attached Thumbnails

• Top World.jpg

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:53 AM

I read a book about Dawson and the Klondike Gold Rush. Amazing times up there. Nice pics, I can't wait to go!

#9 oly884

oly884

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:20 PM

Changing my camper? Well, money was the limiting factor on buying my camper, otherwise I'd have the sink, stove, etc. But it's not that big of a deal.

What I would have liked was a roof that one could stand or sit on (while it was down) It would make camping a bit more fun, nothing like having a nice cold beer watching the sun set from a higher point. But, that would add weight and since I'm not a big fan of weight, I can deal with my camper exactly how it is now.

#10 Woodson

Woodson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:31 PM

I have an '83 Granby, and this may be improved on later models. As for mine, the only thing that keeps water from running inside the soft side (indoors) is the bead of sealant that is visible on top, between the aluminum skin, and the aluminum trim. The soft side is not set in sealant, gasket, nothing! In other words, there is no water barrier whatsoever under the exterior alum. trim ring that you see from the outside. Lousy detail. If others of you have this old a model, keep a very wary eye on this edge--if you see a crack where there is supposed to be sealant, water is coming in, and it will only come in more as time passes. A much better seal is achieved if the trim ring is taken loose, and re-installed in a bed of sealant, in addition to the bead applied to the outside.

Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users