• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:23 AM

I purchased a Grandby Shell in March 2010 and made some basic modifications. My wife and I had a 1998 FWC Grandby with most all the options for 7 years but sold it when we purchased a vintage Airstream. However, we missed the versatility of the FWC for exploring the gnarly back roads of the NW and also feared beating up the trailer in the boonies. So, we ordered the Shell with the intent to make some very simple upgrades. We wanted to keep the weight down when towing the trailer and also wanted the capability of carrying bikes inside when towing the trailer. Plus it cost less than the full blown camper with all the amenities. We had FWC build two full size rear closets similar to the one that came in the '98 Grandby and also had them add two smaller cabinets or cupboards in the front corners. We ordered it with the following options to allow for more extensive upgrades should I or a future owner feel inclined. Options include;

- Screen Door
- Rear Wall Steps
- 12 V battery wiring
- internal 12 volt accessory plug
- Rooftop solar panel plug in connection.
- Full length Yakima rails on the roof
- Fiamma Awning
- Jacks

The Shell also comes standard with "hidden" flip up compartments along the front edge of the shelf overhanging the truck wheel wells. A good place to store 1lb propane canisters, hiking poles, batteries, straps, and collapsible stools.

The modifications I made were inexpensive and meets our needs for basic camping. We primarily use the FWC in the spring, summer and fall once the snow melts in the mountains and the high desert dries out in eastern Oregon. We use the trailer in the cooler months at the coast.

I've attached a few photos below to show how it came out.

Photo shows two bike mounts at the front of the camper. Attached to angle on lower wall. Easily removeable with wing nuts.
DSCN1865.jpg

Photo shows two full size closets at rear corners. Will hold cook stove, Mr Buddy Heater, carry on size bags for clothes, shoes, sleeping bag, camp chairs, tool box, beer, and misc. Tops of closets offer good space for a radio, whatever, once top is popped up.
DSCN1862 rear closets.jpg

Photo shows close up of rear corner closet. Replaced standard pull handle with stainless handle from Home Depot on the door and a matching "single" pull around the corner. Uses a Yakima rubber strap from hitch mount bike carrier to secure doors from blowing open when off pavement. A very effective and inexpensive fix for avoiding having all your gear strewn all over the floor.
DSCN1925 - closet close up.jpg

Photo shows 60" x 16 x 1" shelf mounted on angle bolted to front cabinet and rear closet on driver side. It's a solid piece of reclaimed fir sealed with teak oil. Very rigid and easily removed by undoing wing nuts. Mounted high enough to accomodate large 16" deep Rubbermade containers underneath. Containers carrying cooking gear and other provisions ride on floor when underway and easily slide under shelf when setting up camp. Also shows two small cupboards in front corners. Good for carrying boxed and canned provisions.
DSCN1864 Shelf & Front Cupboard.jpg

Photo shows another shelf view with 12V accessory plug panel at end.
DSCN1863 - another shelf view.jpg

Photo shows another angle of shelf set up with cooking gear, necessities and storage tubs inserted below.
DSCN1920 shelf with gear.jpg

Photo shows bench made with 2 pieces of laminated bamboo stair tread mounted on angle to walls. Easily removed with wing nuts. Very rigid and strong. Found it on closeout at an Enviromental Building supplies store
DSCN1930 Bench.jpg

Photo shows bench with 80Qt cooler and one of the front corner cupboards
DSCN1924 Bench with cooler.jpg

Photo shows another bench shot, with room for 75# Golden Retriever below. When underway, 8 five gallon water jugs can ride below the bench or the 80 quart cooler plus misc.
DSCN1923 - another bench shot.jpg

Photo shows water jug set up on window side bench and corner closet. Small flexible rubber garden tote serves as sink and water basin.
DSCN1921 - Water Jug & Closet.jpg

Photo shows bed and LED lights. While the camper is wired for a 12V battery, I do not have one installed at this time. I have several AA powered LED lights positioned in the camper. We also use a rechargeable Coleman Lantern from REI which can be recharged on AC or DC current. Works very well. We plug it in for charging while underway.
DSCN1929 - Bed & LED Lights.jpg

#2 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:48 AM

I will be purchasing an Eagle shell for my 4 cylinder 4WD Tacoma in December. Thanks for the pictures as it gives me more ideas on ways to set it up. We live in San Diego so most of our exploring is Mojave Desert, Death Valley,
Anza Borrego, western arizona, Nevada and of course the Saline Valley Hot springs (week in spring, week in fall). We have been camping in a Flip Pac the past 7 years. Although perfect for the desert it is not suitable for Oregon and Washington because you have rain.

Even though the marine canvass is waterproof, we don't like to put it down wet do to mold concerns and at age 68 crawloing over the tailgate to enter it getting more difficult as we get older.

If you have additional pictures would you send them to jmassopust@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks,

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#3 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:35 AM

RC Pilot Jim,

I currently do not have many other pictures to add but I found 2 below. My wife and I love the desert and have been to the Mojave, Anza Borrego, and Death Valley over the years. Let me know how your shell works on the Tacoma. I also have a 4 cylinder Pre-runner for a daily driver and have wondered how it would handle a FWC Shell.

Good luck with your project.

TK

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1917.JPG
  • DSCN1919.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users