• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

Will it not be in an area you can reach with an extension cord?

If you can just plug it in for a day once a month and you'll keep the batteries topped up fine (assuming you don't have any little power draws going on, I don't in mine).

Another trick if not using a good float charger is hook the charger to your auto garage door circuit so when ever the garage door opens or closes you get a few minutes of charging.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#12 GBW

GBW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

I hope this isn't too much of a highjack from the original post, apologies if it is!

What are your guys thoughts on covering with a tarp or canvas over the winter months? I do not have covered storage available to me either. I didn't cover my camper this past winter, only to discover that I had a small missing section of silicone on the front edge which allowed 5 months of water seepage!!

I was thinking of maybe making a small wooden frame which sits on the roof racks and wouldn't allow the tarp to rub in the wind. Maybe keeping 6" of buffer space between the top of the camper and tarp? Calgary seems to be blessed with constant gusting wind... we don't get much for snow, so the slowload weight isn't of much concern.

2003 Dodge 2500 CCSB CTD auto

2001 FWC Hawk

#13 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

Moved this to the FWC forum.

I always left mine outside all winter and never had a problem other than the water pump freezing once. I'd be more concerned about constant rain in a wetter climate. In that case, I would probably put a tarp over it with some 4x4's on the top or something to allow some air flow between the tarp and the camper.

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:04 AM

Living here on the cal. coast we due tend to get a good bit of rain and fog, almost as bad.This past winter I covered my rig,camper and truck with two "brown" tarps.One on the truck,it's parked under some trees so all sorts of crap falls on it.For the camper I stand a 2x6 on its side front to rear,than I had an old hot tub cover thats tapered and used the Styrofoam under the tarp to create a slope that sheds the rain to keep it from pooling.With the 2x6 the tarp is off the roof and air can move around.But covered the area makes a good spot for birds and squirrels so I keep a check to make sure they don't find a home.This seems to work.Oh it's tied down.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users