9 replies to this topic

#1 strannik

strannik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

Having now made two trips to the Delta, I have been compiling a list of places to remember in Google Maps. The delta is a nice spot if you have a boat - even a kayak and like to fish. There are lots of developed campgrounds of all sorts, but boondocking is also possible on the less populated islands. Map points have info and my comments:

http://maps.google.c...122146,0.251656

Here is just a list of places with my comments:

The Delta
A favorite spot for RV camping and kayaking - lots of marinas, campgrounds, waterways, fishing and little towns and dives.

http://www.deltaloop.com
http://www.californiadelta.org/

Sugar Barge RV Park & Marina
Pricey, but you can rent anything here - boats, trailers, etc. They have a little store, marina and a restaurant only open on weekends

Sherman Island
Delta, CA 94571 I overheard that boondocking is possible on the levies here.

Brannan Island State Recreation Area
The place I went in '76 - it is partially closed and is slated to be closed due to budget problems.

Vieira's Resort
One of the less expensive independent campgrounds. It is very nice - RV spots, marina, fish cleaning stations, a small store and a nice restaurant/bar.

Duck Island RV Park
I passed this one on the road. It looked nice, but I think it is 55+

Brannan Island KOA
I passed this while driving the Delta Loop - it would be pricey as any KOA, but a fairly nice location.

Bruno's Island Yacht Harbor
I pass this on the road - I think its private

Delta Shores Resort & Marina
I got a free 2 night stay here for listening to a sales pitch. This could be a home campground for RPI or Coast to Coast membership. I kayaked out of the private marina and had a good stay - free co...

Santiago Island Village
This is a regular mobile home park with a mix of double/singlewides and RVs. This could seriously be a "Trailer Park Boys" location, including the cats. I had a nice spot across a stream from a golf...

Rusty Porthole
A great bar/restaurant - the only place on Bethel Island with WiFI. I was there for Taco Thursday. Lively local crowd, and a nice windy marina - free kayak put-in. There is a small unlisted RV park n...

Russo's Marina Inc
$10 launch fee and about 4-5 RV camping spots, a little bait store which wasn't open - I could stay here in a pinch, but I liked the marina and bar at the Rusty Porthole better (a couple of doors down...

Lighthouse Marina Restaurant & Resort
I drove by this one on the Delta Loop. This is the other RPI/Coast to Coast park just down the road from Delta Shores. It actually looks a bit nicer than Delta Shores, amenity and locationwise. If ...

Korth's Pirates Lair Marina
On the Delta Loop - I stopped for lunch and coffee at a nice cafe they have here - a gift shop is only open on weekends. It is a nicely developed harbor.

Isleton Joe's
Crawdads cooked in Cajun spice - yum! This is a nice little restaurant and bar with an attractively aged patina in the middle of Isleton - a "must stop" for me.

Owl Harbor
A private marina at the end of the Delta Loop

Snug Harbor Resorts LLC
This place has a nice youtube video, but looks pricey

Windmill Cove
Stockton, CA 95206 This place looks interesting - taco tuesdays.

Tiki Lagun Resort & Marina
This place also looks interesting

Rio Viento RV Park
I don't know anything about this one yet

Tower Park Marina Resort
??

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:22 PM

Map points have info and my comments:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207793755564790515173.00000113422b946070379&msa=0&ll=38.0835,-121.6008&spn=0.122146,0.251656

Nice map & info link, Strannik. We haven't paddled the delta yet. Maybe this winter.

We've been using Google Maps to collaborate on our trip planning. It's pretty cool. I can create either a public or private map which I can share with other users online. I just noticed recently that my Droid maps application has a layer called My Places. Bingo! All my desktop research; done at home and at work on different computers, including input from others, is ALL accessible on my dang phone! The phone will give directions to any spot you have saved as a Place. I also like to cut&paste info with each Place as you have done, Strannik.

Up to now I've never been a GPS guy, preferring to take responsibility for myself and ability to read the landscape and/or map and use a compass/altimeter to figure out my navigation. But now I have to say, I'm pretty well hooked on the techno advantage. It's another tool, and a smart one too.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#3 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

Anyone interested in the Delta, I can answer most questions. I spent 5 years in a Sheriff's patrol boat on the Delta during the early 70's, and have had a boat berthed in the Delta for over 25 years, presently at Korth's Pirates Lair on the loop, and before that at OxBow Marina on Georgianna Slough. Lots of campgrounds all over the Delta.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#4 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:52 PM

I would be interested to know if there are somewhat unpopulated safe places to camp and fish that are either free or inexpensive?
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#5 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:52 AM

I would be interested to know if there are somewhat unpopulated safe places to camp and fish that are either free or inexpensive?

I'd recommend Westgate Landing Regional Park. It has both tent and RV camping, boat docks, quiet water, and it usually isn't filled with people. It's a county park, so relatively inexpensive. I've tied up and spent the night at their docks many times and always felt safe. Easy to get to, about half a mile north of Hy 12. Here's a link to the park:
http://www.mgzoo.com...anding-park.htm

I might add it's about 1/2 mile north of Tower Park which has a great bar and restaurant, a yacht club, a KOA campground, etc. A fun place to play.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#6 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

Got to Al The Wops in Loche and the Ryde Hotel bar.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#7 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

Got to Al The Wops in Loche and the Ryde Hotel bar.

Dick, he was looking for a place to camp and fish, not fall off a bar stool :-)

#8 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

Thanks all. I do not live far from where you are talking about. I will take a ride out there and check it out.

Regards,

Darryl
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#9 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

Dick, he was looking for a place to camp and fish, not fall off a bar stool :-)

Bob
It is possible to camp under a bar stool and no telling what you might catch under there.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#10 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

Bob
It is possible to camp under a bar stool and no telling what you might catch under there.

In my younger days I spent a few evenings under a bar stool...Don't remember if I caught anything other
than cigarette butts....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users