20 replies to this topic

#11 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:12 AM

I find that using the propane while driving the pilot goes out.Any comments?
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#12 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:25 AM

My fridge is NEVER level during it's entire storage life since it is on my truck and my truck is in the driveway (7 degree angle). Yet it fires up and runs like a champ when the truck is level. I have a hard time believing that storing it off level will damage it.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#13 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:27 AM

Frank

Do the relighter mod and you won't have to worry about it. The mod also makes it a breeze to start up the fridge.....just turn on the relighter and go inside and hold the red button down until it lights......simple.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#14 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:30 AM

Frank

My experience with my Norcold: MOST of the time it stayed lit while driving..but once in a while -- like, every 3rd trip or so, I'd stop driving and check the fridge and it would be off. If you look at the "works" in the back of the fridge -- open the outside vent -- you'll see that it's mostly sealed up. At least, it is on mine.
Maybe when it got blown out (on mine) there might have been a strong side-wind or I got passed close by a semi or some-such thing.

On the other hand: A friend of mine has an old camper with a 3-way fridge, and sometimes his gets blown out while standing still -- while he's camped -- if the wind is bad. :blink:

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#15 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

My experience with my Norcold: MOST of the time it stayed lit while driving..but once in a while -- like, every 3rd trip or so, I'd stop driving and check the fridge and it would be off. If you look at the "works" in the back of the fridge -- open the outside vent -- you'll see that it's mostly sealed up. At least, it is on mine.
Maybe when it got blown out (on mine) there might have been a strong side-wind or I got passed close by a semi or some-such thing.

On the other hand: A friend of mine has an old camper with a 3-way fridge, and sometimes his gets blown out while standing still -- while he's camped -- if the wind is bad. :blink:

Thanks Mark.I'll look into that after our Alaska trip.Don't want to start a new project before the trip.I am still dealing with the battery separator issue,but Marty from ATC is going to help with that on my way north.Where did you get that re lighter?
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#16 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

Thanks Mark. Where did you get that re lighter?

It was leadsled9 who posted the tip about a relighter. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#17 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

Where did you get that re lighter?
Frank

Relighter thread by pvstoy:
http://www.wanderthe...?showtopic=1111

Note: the Atwood relighter usually ranges from $80 - $150 on ebay. If you are patient you can find them much cheaper on ebay. I just picked one up for $39 with free shipping. I also found them at JC Whitney for $60.99: http://www.jcwhitney...t/p2019194.jcwx

Here's the link to the $39 one I purchased: http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

Cleaning the burner slit thread:
http://www.wanderthe...ntry39646<br />

#18 MakersTeleMark

MakersTeleMark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:25 PM

I love my 3-way. Purchased it from a poster here. I cannot justify the power consumption of a 12v fridge, especially since I always boondock, and quite often in inclement weather. My Dometic sips propane, gets really cold, and running it on 12v while driving isn't a problem because my house battery is connected up to my truck batteries.

#19 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:39 AM

I love my 3-way.

What model do you have?

Thanks~
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#20 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:27 AM

What model do you have?

He has the RM2193 that I sold him...:-)

Once and awhile, I think I might miss the propane in Winter, but other than that, man o man, am I happy with my new solar and AC/DC unit! It is now on *Full Time* with the truck not moving for up to 10 days straight, totally cold, full of ice cream, beers, cold paks, ready to go, all on solar, the battery always full, the new panel works great off slide for early morning feed and great in the slide for high noon. Check out the write up:

http://kodachromeproject.com/blog/archives/496

This setup is seriously brilliant, I could never go back to 3-way at this point...

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users