• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:58 AM

My Norcold N300 stays very cold (32-34 at setting 4) even on hot 100 degree days. It works real good as long as the burner slits are clean and free from corrosion.

It is a pain to have to remember to turn it down at night or everything freezes.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#12 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

Rodger,

How about some pics!

Thanks~
DR
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#13 Roger

Roger

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:58 AM

I only have a pic of the exhaust heat shield/isolator. It is ugly and probably needs improvement, but it seems to do the job. It is also 100% reversable.

I moved the fan next to it on the vent cover.

Rodger,

How about some pics!

Thanks~
DR

Attached Thumbnails

• exhaust vent.JPG

#14 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:00 AM

Thanks Rodger, that's sufficient to get the general idea. I was thinking about using the reflectex insulation on the sides and top, since there is very little room.

DSC01949 (Large).JPG
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#15 Roger

Roger

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:26 PM

Just wanted to report back my findings over the past two days.

Yesterday I set the fridge to Med on the lpg setting and the fridge was about 48 degrees. The outside temp was about 86 degrees. Usually with the gas on high it would cool to about 50 degrees.

Today it is 90 degrees. The lpg setting is on high. The fridge has been in the sun all day. The temp inside the fridge is 40 degrees. :D

I may add another exhaust fan but I think I have resolved the main issue.

Roger

#16 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:35 AM

Good work!
FYI - I got this fan: http://www.amazon.co...3NC15J8KN28N1ED

It has two thermal switches (one attaches to the reefer coils) to turn on/off at a preset temp. The other one monitors ambient temp.

The ambient temp and the coil temp must be >80 to turn the fan on. Otherwise it not cool properly. After all it is a "still".

Seems to be a well thought idea.

Edited by Desert Rancher, 19 August 2011 - 04:35 PM.

#17 Roger

Roger

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:20 AM

DR,
I rolled up some reflectex and zip tied it in a roll to create dead are space in my unit. I had about 1 inch on the (facing the fridge from the outside) right and about 2 inches on the left. I didn't even bother with the top as it was less then a half inch. The two fans and the exhaust stack helped the most.

Thanks Rodger, that's sufficient to get the general idea. I was thinking about using the reflectex insulation on the sides and top, since there is very little room.

DSC01949 (Large).JPG

#18 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:18 AM

DR,
I rolled up some reflectex and zip tied it in a roll to create dead are space in my unit. I had about 1 inch on the (facing the fridge from the outside) right and about 2 inches on the left. I didn't even bother with the top as it was less then a half inch. The two fans and the exhaust stack helped the most.

Where did you install the second fan and is it the same as the one discribed in your 1st post?

Thanks,
CWD
CWDT

#19 Roger

Roger

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

Where did you install the second fan and is it the same as the one discribed in your 1st post?

Thanks,
CWD

I installed a 120 MM case fan as the secondary. I think it was $7 at Fry's electronics, a way better deal than Radio Shack.
Specs
.33 AMp
57 CFM
140 Grams

You can see part of my Aluminum baffle in the "fridge bottom" pic. I installed the bigger fan on other side of the vent, again blowing out. I think I spent about $45 total on this project and I still have 8 feet of sheet aluminum left over, it was the most expensive item.

Attached Thumbnails

• fridge bottom.JPG
  • fridge two fans.JPG

#20 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

Thanks Roger. I am still not sure I completely understand your baffle arrangement. Did your fridge come with the perforated metal wind shield on the burner or did you add that? Also what are the two red LEDs in the lower left and is the white thing a remote thermometer?

Thanks,
CWD
CWDT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users