Photo
- - - - -

Proud owner of a Fleet Cajita NCO (shell)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BurkeDroppings

BurkeDroppings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hello Fellow FWC Owners, former owners and wannabees,

I took possession of my new camper two days ago and am looking forward to a "shake-down" outing less than two weeks hence: a bluegrass music festival in the Sierra Nevada foothills (AKA the "Gold Country").

Some members here have said mean things about my model of choice, using language that implies the NCO is "not normal," overpriced, too small – and worse (click here to see). Well, time will tell.

Speaking of time, most of my fellow FWC brethren have their rigs parked out in the elements – month after month and year after year. Mine is tucked safely in my garage (door closed). When I'm ready (IF I ever am ready) to sell, I may enjoy a lower rate of depreciation than others. Incidentally, that goes for both my Cajita AND my truck. (Hmmmm)

For those who consider my cramped quarters to be a "step down" from more spacious (and costly, and higher-maintenance) rigs, consider that my nest is a huge "step up" from the tents I've used over the past 30 years or so.

My water-tight shelter will serve almost exclusively as bedroom and office. I expect to continue doing most of my "living" outside -- you know, in environments I've traveled distances to experience. Weather permitting, I'll do my cooking and eating and bathing, etc. outside my camper – in far less cramped quarters than the biggest and most elaborate (and costly) rigs around.

Oh, it will be great to be in out of the weather and to drop my lid and skedaddle in a matter of minutes; but I'm still going to be a camper. I wasn't looking for a portable house that I'd spend a lot of time inside, looking out at nature from. Out is where it's at; in is for sleeping and writing (I'm a writer, hence the need for an office).

I hope I don't sound defensive. I just read the Cajita thread referenced above and it sorta got my dander up. I'm actually quite impressed by those elaborate rigs and am even more impressed by folks who modify and adapt theirs to create the environment they desire. More power to them. For me, however, less is more. Stuff tends to get between me and that which I hold more dear. I'm with Thoreau who cried, "Simplify! Simplify!"

By the way, after spending time studying the huge motorhome and fifth-wheel crowd I did begin to wonder whether I could fit all that was needed into just 50 square feet. But then I took a look at the folks who travel by motorcycle or bicycle and those who are backpacking; and I realized that my ability to effortlessly haul hundreds of pounds of gear great distances at high speed (sometimes over rough terrain) and my ability to simply "stop and pop" whenever I need to rest or work, provided incredible luxury and convenience.

OK, I know have yet to spend a single night in my new nest and all I'm saying now is theory and speculation. Only time will tell whether I've underestimated my real needs. But, for now I'm betting on my little Cajita.

I promise to let you know how things work out. I will be truthful and forthcoming. I've been guilty of making many poor decisions during my life; and am not too proud to admit to them. So, stay tuned; I'll have some real camping experience to report before long.

B U R K E D R O P P I N G S
I'm a writer, leaving evidence that I was here.
My web site
David@BurkeDroppings.com

#2 ersatzknarf

ersatzknarf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

Hi David,
Welcome ! ! ! :D
Well, I am very glad to hear from someone who has gotten a Cajita.
I think they are great - really looking forward to hearing how you like it. A "NCO" camper is a great solution for a lot of folks, I think.
As you got the shell model, I am sure there will be many interested to know how you plan to fit out the interior, please... Was it a shell with a bed option, perhaps ?
Anyway, very glad you posted and hope you will post up often and please do include lots of photos :P
Cheers, Frank ______________ "airsotts-narf" Save a Life, Adopt : http://www.pawsofmichigan.com/

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

Hi David,

Welcome and congrats on your new camper. Yes, you did come off as a bit defensive. Take a look at the top of that thread again. A little more than 40% of us said they like the Cajita. Not a majority, granted, but the Cajita isn't exactly despised. I see it as similar to the guys that argue Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge. They are all still trucks and those guys are truck drivers and they all still swap stories over a beer at the end of the day. Whether its a Cajita or a Hawk or a Pheonix, they are all still campers and we all got them for the same purpose. So by all means, please share with us your photos, modifications, trip reports, etc. as that is what we like on this website. And if you ever join a rally, I'd expect everyone would want to check out your camper, even if they were one of the ones that didn't care for the design.

BTW, there are a couple of other members that lean towards bluegrass and, I believe, attend the festival you are going to. So go introduce yourself if you see another pop-up there.

Happy camping!

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

Welcome BD!

Excited to see how you like your camper. I still think the Cajita is a great fit for some applications.

What are your plans for the interior? Desk and bed?

Some photos of your new FWC would be great.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

Looking forward to your trip reports with pictures.

Bill in STockton

#6 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

I think you just made Stan a happy man.

BTW, I was always for the model, as I recognize the need/market for that design.

Happy Campin' !!

Jeff
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#7 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

I like them. Let's see some pics of your rig. Happy camping.
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#8 BurkeDroppings

BurkeDroppings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

What an active discussion site!

Thanks, all, for the welcome.

My only amenities are lights and the rollover couch/bed (oriented perpendicular to the line of travel, up against the cab of my truck). I did opt for jack brackets (but no jacks) as I expect to remove the camper from my truck one day (but not for more than two years); I'll be able to install the jacks later, but wouldn't have been confident attaching brackets. Oh, I also opted for the screen door; I'm a huge fan of cross-ventilation and am not at all a fan of mosquitoes and other flying insects.

I'm not going to formally "fit out the interior" for a while – if ever. I'm a minimalist; and I'm NOT handy with tools (can't draw a straight line with a ruler, let alone cut a board at a 90º angle).

So, I'm going to start out using cardboard boxes, a TV tray and assorted sacks and bags. Then, as I get a feel for how I want to organize my possessions, I'll look into more durable and convenient options (plastic or metal containers that resist moisture and creatures and a larger and more sturdy work platform (I use a laptop, but a TV tray is still a bit flimsy and confining.

I'll obviously be on the lookout for other pop-uppers, most particularly those of the FWC variety. I'm a real hermit these days; I rarely see, let along speak with, my neighbors. I'm certain that will change in the camping community. I do expect to boondock and stealth camp about half of the time; but when I'm in the proximity of others, I look forward to getting to know them. Nothing beats sitting around the campfire with nice people (having a few kids around would be nice, too).

Hey, thanks again for the warm welcome. I'll take some pictures (and write) during my bluegrass outing and share highlights with you all.

B U R K E D R O P P I N G S
I'm a writer, leaving evidence that I was here.
My web site
David@BurkeDroppings.com

#9 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:45 PM

I hope I don't sound defensive. I just read the Cajita thread referenced above and it sorta got my dander up.

Why would you even care what anyone else said about the Cajita? It is your choice and if you are happy, that is all that matters.

Welcome and many happy trips.

CWD
CWDT

#10 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

I don't think I got a picture of his truck before he left ?

Pretty sure this customer got a Cajita Fleet Shell Model ?

Attached are some similar pictures maybe.

The pictures attached are of a Cajita Eagle Shell Model.

:)

Attached Thumbnails

• Eagle Cajita 2.JPG
  • Eagle Cajita 1.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users