#11 mojave joe

mojave joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationPinon Hills, Ca (Hi-Desert)

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

Anyone have experience with the Mr. Heater "Buddy Wall Mount" ??

ref:http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR-HEATER-BUDDY-WALL-MOUNT-HEATER-VERY-NICE-/120804531334?_trksid=e17002.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4403879860709727263

A bit less expensive than the wave-

#12 JohnF

JohnF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationThornton CO

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

Here is a link to the product info for the Mr. Heater Wall Mount.

Here is mojave joe's original ebay link.

#13 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:40 AM

Mr buddy has some altitude limits that the Wave doesn't. Depends on where you camp, I bought a MB but returned it because of this. Much of my camping is high, 9, 10, 11,000', not this time of year :o

From their manual:

• When operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT.
above sea level, the unit may not burn as bright as in
lower altitudes. This is normal. At higher altitudes, the
heater may shut-off. If this happens, provide fresh air,
wait 5 minutes and re-light. Due to local atmospheric
conditions heater may not re-light.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#14 mojave joe

mojave joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationPinon Hills, Ca (Hi-Desert)

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:29 AM

Thanks!, I guess I'll go with the wave also-

#15 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:52 AM

Mr buddy has some altitude limits that the Wave doesn't. Depends on where you camp, I bought a MB but returned it because of this. Much of my camping is high, 9, 10, 11,000', not this time of year :o

From their manual:

• When operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT.
above sea level, the unit may not burn as bright as in
lower altitudes. This is normal. At higher altitudes, the
heater may shut-off. If this happens, provide fresh air,
wait 5 minutes and re-light. Due to local atmospheric

On a related note -- and relating to using the Wave at higher altitude:
Last month when I was camped at 11,000 feet in the White Mts I wondered if I should have vents open wider than when running my Wave 6 at lower elevations. Posted Image Seems like the answer is "Yes!". The settings on the heater feed in a fixed amount of propane at any altitude, and for complete combustion the same amount of oxygen would be required at any altitude. But at higher altitudes there is less oxygen because there is less air (the atmospheric pressure is lower).
For example, at 10,000 feet the atmospheric pressure is only 2/3 of what it is at sea level...so to get a fixed amount of oxygen (that is, fixed number of "moles") to the heater, 50% more air volume is required.
So, I'm not sure how to ensure that 50% more air is vented through the camper...but I know that it means that the vents need to be open wider. Yeah, there's not a huge difference between, say 5000 ft and 10,000 (about 20%), but it still could be significant if you were already on the border-line wrt venting.

Something to consider, seems like.

This handy chart (at the really great handy website, "The Engineering Toolbox") gives atmospheric pressure as a function of altitude.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#16 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

Thanks!, I guess I'll go with the wave also-

Due to local atmospheric

That is what got me, when at elevation is often when I most need the heat! Although one year in Big Bend, at 1800' by the river, it dropped to 9 :o . That was in my tent.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#17 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:46 AM

Anyone know what the consumption of the Wave 3 is? I've googled and haven't found out.
We ran out last trip and had to refill at Lee Vining, then spent one night on the E. Walker.

I just tanked up today, preparing for five or six nights in DV. I was surprised when the tank took 1.1 gallons. :huh: I know we've been decadent, running the factory furnace and the Wave (on low, all night), but at a gallon a day I'm only good for four or five days out!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#18 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:20 AM

Anyone know what the consumption of the Wave 3 is? I've googled and haven't found out.
We ran out last trip and had to refill at Lee Vining, then spent one night on the E. Walker.

I just tanked up today, preparing for five or six nights in DV. I was surprised when the tank took 1.1 gallons. :huh: I know we've been decadent, running the factory furnace and the Wave (on low, all night), but at a gallon a day I'm only good for four or five days out!

[What follows is off-topic, sorry, but it was prompted by Lighthawk's discussion of propane-tank emptying.]

Lighthawk: When you filled up your run-out tank in Lee Vining, did it take a full 5 gallons or close to it?
I'm wondering 'cause I don't recall my tank ever taking much more than 3+ gallons...maybe 4 (though I've never run out, so I had no reason to think it was empty). I started wondering if this always-taking-less-to-fill-than-I-expect was because it's supposed to be filled while on its side/horizontally, since it's intended to dispense while on its side -- made sense to me.
So -- when I went to have the propane tank filled before my most-recent trip I laid the tank down on its side next to the big source tank -- as if to suggest/prompt the propane guy to fill it horizontally. The propane guy -- the gas-station owner, not a dumb kid -- peered at the label on the top of the tank and saw something I'd somehow never noticed: In symbols the tank said (essentially) "use tank horizontally" and "fill tank vertically". Oh...well....I guess that's pretty clear, then. Nevermind. Posted Image
I still am surprised that I've never used more than 4 gallons...Posted Image

[Please resume topic, and I apologize for the interruption Posted Image]

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#19 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

I believe we bought close to four and a half gallons in LV after running out. So buying another 1.1 gals. today seemed like a lot. I wonder if the elevation has anything to do with it? datum: Lee Vining 6780', Grass Valley 2500'

It seems there's meant to be a percentage unfilled for expansion, but I have to beg off since I really don't know much about propane. I think this is valuable info for which Wave to go, i.e. how many nights can your Wave run before you are forced to drive to the nearest town for supplies.

The newer FWC carry two tanks, which can help you avoid running out. There are also gadgets to buy. I splurged on an adapter called Steak Saver, by Mr. Heater, which will let me adapt my one pound bottles to the acme nut of the main tank. At least I can make coffee in the morning and cook a dinner if I run out.

I also saw a tank gauge with a (plug in) remote readout that was expensive and aimed at the BBQ crowd. I wish we had more accurate ways to judge our propane levels. Which brings us back to the thread, Which Wave to go! :D

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#20 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

The Wave 3 uses 1/8 pound per hour on high. So eight hours on high uses one pound.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users