• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:49 PM

Ok .. I am new here. I have been wanting a Pop up Camper for some time but have never found anything that impressed me ... until recently. I did a search and found FWC. Ever since I have been glued to the computer plotting and planning. I am moving towards ordering a new Hawk. I have been studying as much as I can. While I expect there is a thread out there that speaks to this, I have not found it. Many threads talk about each one specifically but I have yet to find one that pits the two types of fridges (3 Way/Compressor) against each other.

I am looking for a no fuss fridge that is reliable. I am debating solar panels. I want a FWC that is "high speed and low drag". I like the minimal set up leaving to do other things like enjoy the outdoor. 3 way fridges seem to be a little finicky for those on the move which I hope to be. I am looking for opinions good or bad. I hope that this will be my first and last FWC. I want to do it right the first time.

Let me have it!

#2 JohnF

JohnF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationThornton CO

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:03 AM

Just in case you haven't found this yet: Ultimate Fridge Thread

#3 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:47 AM

Ok .. I am new here. I have been wanting a Pop up Camper for some time but have never found anything that impressed me ... until recently. I did a search and found FWC. Ever since I have been glued to the computer plotting and planning. I am moving towards ordering a new Hawk. I have been studying as much as I can. While I expect there is a thread out there that speaks to this, I have not found it. Many threads talk about each one specifically but I have yet to find one that pits the two types of fridges (3 Way/Compressor) against each other.

I am looking for a no fuss fridge that is reliable. I am debating solar panels. I want a FWC that is "high speed and low drag". I like the minimal set up leaving to do other things like enjoy the outdoor. 3 way fridges seem to be a little finicky for those on the move which I hope to be. I am looking for opinions good or bad. I hope that this will be my first and last FWC. I want to do it right the first time.

Let me have it!

Plotting and Planning. I have been there. Took over 2 years and countless computer hours to get to the point I was ready to buy a FWC and I have not regretted a moment, before or since. But like a house it will never be perfect and you can always upgrade. We have a 3 way fridge. Yes, there can be problems but it will run for ever on one tank of propane. If you happen to be in places where the sun is in hiding and if you don't plan to drive enough miles every day to recharge the batteries without solar power, then a propane fridge is hard to beat. But if you can count on the sun then solar powered compressor seems a good way to go. My eventual plan is both. We have a 3 way propane based fridge. I want to add a small compressor based freezer with solar charger. If the sun goes I can recharge with the truck's alternator. If the 3 way gets fussy I can use it as an ice box with freezer packs from the freezer. The best system is the one that has a huge number of backup options incase one method fails when you are far from the resources to fix it.
But in deference to other comments in this thread if you have an adequate supply of refers you won't care which kind of fridge you have or if the beer is really cold.

#4 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:42 AM

From following most fridge threads - it appears that as soon as a 3-way fridge dies around here, it gets replaced with a compressor fridge.

That is what I did and I am so happy. I plan to buy another compressor fridge long before I buy another 3 way fridge.

As for pro/cons. I think they have been covered already.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#5 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

I've notice on Jay Aronow Camper Sales website (www.jayaronowcampersales.com) that most all of the campers he sells, the buyers have chosen to go with the Engle 12v fridge. I have had both. The 12v fridge is problem free. Mount a solar panel and let it run 365 days a year!

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#6 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

For me the 3way was far too much hassle, now I have an ARB and it holds a steady temp without a thought.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#7 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

If starting from scratch I'd go compressor. My current FWC has a 3-way, which I've also added a relighter to and it runs decently but does take some finessing. I've now purchased a ARB compressor fridge for my camper I'm building but have used it in my FWC on my last trip. I liked it (aside from the fact it doesn't have a place suited in the current FWC for it but I'd make one if it was permanent).

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#8 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

From my recent research my gut is to go with the compressor. I only hear good things about it. Those who have it seem to like it. It will likely mean a solar panel ... but I may as do it right the first time. Out side of charging, it sounds as though I should be able to turn a compressor fridge on and forget it.

Questions:

1. Those with the compressor ... How long can you typically go with out recharging the battery via running the vehicle motor ?

2. Does anyone have experience with the Waeco model that FWC is currently offering?

3. Those with 3 way fridges, I would like to hear your input as well, good or bad.

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:30 PM

It will likely mean a solar panel ...

<snip>

1. Those with the compressor ... How long can you typically go with out recharging the battery via running the vehicle motor ?

Depends on what battery and fridge you are running. Also the solar part depends on how long you want to stay unplugged, you'd probably be surprised how long you can run off 2 batteries. Here's a link to the thread I put up with voltage readings off my battery bank while running my ARB fridge for 6days: http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/4958/

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

From my recent research my gut is to go with the compressor. I only hear good things about it. Those who have it seem to like it. It will likely mean a solar panel ... but I may as do it right the first time. Out side of charging, it sounds as though I should be able to turn a compressor fridge on and forget it.

Questions:

2. Does anyone have experience with the Waeco model that FWC is currently offering?

3. Those with 3 way fridges, I would like to hear your input as well, good or bad.

I currently have my Engel running 24/7 off the truck using an 85 watt panel and a 75ah AGM gel batt. I show the camper often so I keep bottled water in the fridge for customers. At start up it took less than 20 minutes to reach the desired temp. The battery always shows completely charged so the panel runs the Engel.

Below is part of a previous post. Others claims are different I can only speak for myself and 25 years of using 3 way fridges in the Southwest.

My views of propane cooling are no secret on this forum. Roger's fan experience underlines what I've said previously. 30 degrees below ambient is about the best you can hope for and it goes up appreciably as the temps rise.
Again not an issue if you never camp in weather above 65 degrees. However in those temps you don't need a fridge either. A properly loaded Coleman Extreme with block ice will give you great service into the 90's and above for a few days depending on how often you open it, how well you cover it, etc. But if you're in Cayonlands et al in July & August or sitting on a remote beach in Baja and don't want to drive out to the local store for ice every couple of days a 3 way propane fridge won't do the job an Engel or other similar units will do.

Add an 85 watt solar panel and with enough water & Hornitos you can stay for weeks on end. Venting, fans and other fixes in my experience (and I've tried them all) are just putting a Band-Aides on a hemorrhage. I don't come by this position lightly. I've owned several 3 way fridges both used and brand spankin' new, all with the same results.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users