• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

I am in the market for an Edgestar, ARB or Engel fridge but want to get the right one. I know the Edgestar has a higher amperage draw listed on the panel, but I've read that that might not translate to a real-world performance hit.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with the power draw of these models in comparison to each other, or have better google-ninja skills than me to produce this information? I can't seem to find anything quantitative online.
FWC-Owning Human

#2 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

I 'think' someone did a pretty scientific power analysis on the edgestar somewhere in the 100 page post on expo portal.

I've seen similar 'studies' done on the ARB - but never side by side and under the same conditions that I can recall.

My personal experience is with the edgestar only - I've measured it and it draws a full 5 amps at start up -- then quickly settles down to the listed 4.25 amps (or close, I posted it here somewhere but I didn't spend much time lookign for it.... :D ) until it hits the desired temp.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:40 PM

Are you going with the top opening or front door opening style? I had (briefly) the Engel with the front opening door. It was loud and vibrated the whole camper. I can't believe that is normal so was able to return it as defective. But in the time we had it we discovered a couple of design flaws that made us go away from Engel completely. The freezer section has no back or front door, so everything just falls out of it and into the fridge section. The door rocked a little on its hinges but enough on bumpy (but still 2wd) roads that the latch wouldn't hold and everything fell out of the fridge.

Again, this is the front opening unit. Everyone with the top opening Engels seem to be very happy. We ended up going with an Isotherm Cruise 65. Isotherm Cruise 130's are the fridge used in the XP campers. We have been very happy with it.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

Here's my thoughts (personal opinion only):

Edgestar:
Pro: Currently priced at $499 with free shipping, sometimes goes on sale cheaper.
Con: Often plagued by out of the box QA/QC problems, questionable long term warranty, reported higher running amps in comparison, less desirable fit/finish (and in my build since it's a little wider it wouldn't have worked well verse the bit more narrow ARB).

ARB:
Pro: I like the dimensions/fit/finish better. Running draw seemed pretty low to me (I've posted voltage readings over a 6day run in the equipment forum, sorry no amp meter). 3year warranty. Removable lid.
Con: Currently priced at $799 with free shipping (I got mine onsale at 4wheelparts.com for $699 and picked it up locally).

Both units have a digital temp setting I believe. Not sure what the sound difference when running is between the two, if any. Vague recollection is the ARB definitely runs it's circuits off 12V and that when 120V is used it's stepped down to 12V, however one of the other manufacturers runs their electronics off 120V and when then 12V comes in it needs to be stepped up and thus there is an efficiency loss there??? (Definitely do your homework on that one as I can't clearly remember the details).

Long story short I choose to pay a couple hundred more for the ARB for the dimensions I liked better, fit/finish, possible lower running amps, and most importantly a solid warranty by a known manufacturer with good QA/QC.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#5 Moody

Moody

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSandy, Utah (suburbia)

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

I don't have any definitive data to support my ever expanding 'gut feeling' but I have had both the ARB and two versions of the Engel, the 35 and the 45. I wanted an upgrade in size from the 35, and bought the ARB. It never worked well for me (seems to draw more power?), so I went back to Engel and now have a 45 liter. I expect this will be around for quite some time.

#6 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

The new ARB fridges use a Danfoss compressor while Engel uses the Sawafuji "swing motor" compressor. It used to be that the older ARB fridge used this compressor as well. The Engel has a track record dating back for many years. I have an Engle 45 that is three years old and it is one of the best pieces of gear I have ever used.
I tend to go with no frills gear and like the simplicity of the design of the Engel. The current draw is low enough that I run it off my auxillary battery and 80 watt solar panel at 34 degree inside temps and have never run the battery down.

Dsrtrat

quote name='natjwest' date='06 October 2011 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1317916910' post='57314']
I am in the market for an Edgestar, ARB or Engel fridge but want to get the right one. I know the Edgestar has a higher amperage draw listed on the panel, but I've read that that might not translate to a real-world performance hit.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with the power draw of these models in comparison to each other, or have better google-ninja skills than me to produce this information? I can't seem to find anything quantitative online.
[/quote]

#7 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

If you find your self close to Newberg (or Hillsboro during regular weekday business hours) and want to take a look at my Edgestar in person, just left me know....

A quick google search leads me to believe you aren't some kind of creepy fake internet person. :D It did lead me on a tangent though when I recognized some other dudes screen name, on some other forum that your screen name popped up on, then I googled him, then.... Anywho....
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,304 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

If you find your self close to Newberg (or Hillsboro during regular weekday business hours) and want to take a look at my Edgestar in person, just left me know....

A quick google search leads me to believe you aren't some kind of creepy fake internet person. :D It did lead me on a tangent though when I recognized some other dudes screen name, on some other forum that your screen name popped up on, then I googled him, then.... Anywho....

In reading this thread I saw an advertisement above the threads for a fridge "truckfridge" a 45lt goes for 499+ ship,draws 40amps/24 hours.Anyone have info about these.They are top loading and the measurements are a nice size.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,029 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:01 AM

I can confirm the edgestar runs on 12v. If money were no object I'd be running the Engel. Everyone loves it and its a proven design thats been around a long time. Since money is an object I got the edgestar and have been happy so far.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,304 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:46 AM

In reading this thread I saw an advertisement above the threads for a fridge "truckfridge" a 45lt goes for 499+ ship,draws 40amps/24 hours.Anyone have info about these.They are top loading and the measurements are a nice size.

Frank

In reading more about the truck fridge,it has some nice features.A built in low battery that shuts the fridge off.The upright have a light like a home fridge.Don't know what the regular price is as the models on line are close out,but at $544 shipped might not be a bad deal.Would still like to know more about them.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users