4 replies to this topic

#1 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

I can't believe I forgot to look at this on the rally!!!! Anyway, the windows have an outside storm flap. On my truck I will have to use my ladder each time to open/close them. Are there any types of closures on the inside?

Scenario: Camping in summer, all windows open. Along comes a rainstorm.

1. Scamper around in your skivvies outside closing up windows?

2. Or is there an inside closure that would suffice for a rainstorm or if it got really chilly at night?

2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#2 orion

orion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationDixon, CA

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:52 PM

They moved the flaps to the inside of the camper now. Do you have an older Hawk?

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

From what I know:

The old older campers (with the tan/orange sides) I think are like the new units: fixed screen -> clear window flap on the inside -> sideliner material flap on the inside.

Then the older grey sideliner campers added an external strom flap in addition: external strom flap -> fixed screen -> clear window flap on the inside -> sideliner material flap on the inside. (ATC still builds their this way but on DD's new rig it looks like they're making the external flaps detachable now so best of both worlds there possibly).

The newer FWC's went away from the storm flaps: fixed screen -> clear window flap on the inside -> sideliner material flap on the inside

The external flaps are an extra step to open up if you want light into the camper, however they can also be left rolled up (even when dropping the top) on a trip, I just wouldn't store them long term like that. However it is some piece of mind. ATCs new way of doing it might be a great compromise for those that still like the external flap. The new FWC's say it's not needed. You can use them as a bit of an awning if you want.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

Are you looking at buying a used camper ?

All of the new FWC's will NOT have any storm flaps on the outside of the camper.

:)

We redesigned the FWC pop-up windows back in 2004 and went back to the original FWC design used in the 1970's, 1980's and early 1990's.

No storm flaps on the outside of the pop-up.

The only FWC's that will probably have the exterior storm flaps will be FWC's made around 1996 - 2004 (+ or -).

I can't believe I forgot to look at this on the rally!!!! Anyway, the windows have an outside storm flap. On my truck I will have to use my ladder each time to open/close them. Are there any types of closures on the inside?

Scenario: Camping in summer, all windows open. Along comes a rainstorm.

1. Scamper around in your skivvies outside closing up windows?

2. Or is there an inside closure that would suffice for a rainstorm or if it got really chilly at night?

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

Are you looking at buying a used camper ?

All of the new FWC's will NOT have any storm flaps on the outside of the camper.

:)

We redesigned the FWC pop-up windows back in 2004 and went back to the original FWC design used in the 1970's, 1980's and early 1990's.

No storm flaps on the outside of the pop-up.

The only FWC's that will probably have the exterior storm flaps will be FWC's made around 1996 - 2004 (+ or -).

Thanks Stan but I was hoping not to bother you!!! No on the used camper. I want a BRAND NEW one set up exactly how I want. And I want so much stuff I'm glad I have an F250!!!! :D :D
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users