#1 tk254254

tk254254

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationOregon City, OR

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hello, new to the forum. My father picked up a really nice Keystone camper for me about two months ago. Needed the usual work (particle board broken in bed, linoleum, etc.) but otherwise everything works and best yet there is NO rot or even water staining! I drove over the pass to go work on the camper and load it up in my 2001 Dodge. Well, you know the rest, it doesn't fit.

I looked through every single page on this forum to hopefully find a thread where somebody has modified the plywood base of a camper to fit a modern pickup. I did not see any thread or pictures, but I know someone has done it as it does not appear to be that difficult. I have a spool gun and any aluminum welding will be trivial.

The main concerns I have are as follows:

-I am only $200 into this camper. Should I try and sell it for around $1500 and just save some cash for the next "deal"? The problem with this option is that everything works on this camper and like I say, it is in really nice condition.

-What is the reduction from the 64" measurement that the first "tier" would need to be at in order to fit the majority of modern pickups? If I chose to minimize the reduction, how much "wiggle room" would I need to realistically manuever the slide-in?

-Will the reduction on the 12 v converter and water tank side require moving the cabinets into the walking space, or can I just cut the back of those sections out, thereby protecting the walking aisle space?

-I need the lower fridge vent, anyone know where to find that part?

-I need the egress emergency window (middle window). Anyone know where to find that part?

I have attached a photo showing the measurement I am wondering about.

-I am not too worried about the plywood work, but dismantling all the wiring, cabinets, etc. appears to be more taxing. Is that a big pain in the butt?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

• measurement.jpg

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,571 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

The issue is that it's not just plywood, the front/rear walls the aluminum frame is also too wide and needs to be narrowed. As such it really hasn't been done often since most folks don't have access to aluminum welding equipment. You could consider using brackets/plates/rivets or something of that nature to rework it but do so at your own confidence level.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 tk254254

tk254254

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

The issue is that it's not just plywood, the front/rear walls the aluminum frame is also too wide and needs to be narrowed. As such it really hasn't been done often since most folks don't have access to aluminum welding equipment. You could consider using brackets/plates/rivets or something of that nature to rework it but do so at your own confidence level.

Thanks, as I said in my post I own a spool gun and regularly weld aluminum. Would take me longer to hook up the welder than it would to fab.... From the looks of this picture, you cut the square tube and move over, then weld back in. Looks to be the easiest part of the entire project.

Like I said, I am more worried about the internal equipment fitting and still allowing space to walk.

Anyone actually done this work?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20_year_old_frame_picture_2.jpg

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,571 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

Thanks, as I said in my post I own a spool gun and regularly weld aluminum. Would take me longer to hook up the welder than it would to fab.... From the looks of this picture, you cut the square tube and move over, then weld back in. Looks to be the easiest part of the entire project.

Like I said, I am more worried about the internal equipment fitting and still allowing space to walk.

Anyone actually done this work?

Missed that you do aluminum welding, you're a step ahead there. But that is why not too many folks have done this themselves to provide comment or have reference threads on it.

As for fitment, the newer units are 58" wide and work so its not impossible. ;)

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#5 tk254254

tk254254

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

58", I will keep that in mind as a standard. Thanks.

Even without a welder, anyone could do the work with pop rivets and a piece of sheet plate.

I guess I'm failing to see any big issues. Maybe I will start buying up these older units and resizing them for resale....

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,571 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

Wouldn't hurt to double check if 58" is tailgate opening size of the smaller fullsize trucks (and the camper is a tad smaller) or if the camper is 58". I'm a bit tried and I forget off hand I suspect the camper is a tad narrower, I have one of the ones that is a bit wider for a 60" tailgate opening.

Not everyone wants to jump into frame modification, cutting down the floor pack, and reworking the siding. As such I don't recall any threads where folks actually when through it (but alot asking what it would take). If you're up for it and feel the labor/value is there get on it and post up a nice thread! :)

#7 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

I don't have your skills, so if I were in your shoes I would consider saving $$ to convert my truck to a flatbed (like Dirty Dog recently did). Then I would add storage cabinets to use the extra space at the base.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#8 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

I considered narrowing one when I was searching for mine -- but then I found a sweet deal on one that fit.

I'm not sure how the layout in the Keystones is - but to narrow the second step in mine would be pretty easy - there isn't much in that space.

58" is the tailgat opening on 'most' newer trucks if I recell correctly.

And congrats on getting a FWC!
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

I guess I'm failing to see any big issues. Maybe I will start buying up these older units and resizing them for resale....

I think you should go ahead and do the modification to your camper. Like Pods said, the frame work is what keeps most people from even trying. If you find the project is as easy as you are thinking, then your plan for flipping modified older campers would probably be very successful. The fit problem with newer trucks is the only reason they are priced so low. Good luck.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#10 tk254254

tk254254

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess the absolute worst case scenario is that I need to move the wiring / water tank, etc. no more than 2" into the walkway. I could live with that.

My current plan is to proceed with the resize. If I do, I will post a how-to and very likely to continue looking for others to work on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users