20 replies to this topic

#11 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:11 AM

The 2-inch mattress pieces that came with my FWC have fabric on the top and waterproof vinyl on the bottom. These came standard on my Eagle in 2008. Is this unusual, or do others have this as well?

Our 08 Hawk has 4" factory pad with vinyl on the bottom, which acts as a vapor barrier. We haven't noticed condensation, but maybe we're not looking hard enough :mellow:

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

Here's some results after four nights in Death Valley. Overall we are pleased and will continue to use this. It did keep the cabover sleeping area warmer. However, it did nothing to lessen the condensation/moisture under our sleeping pad we find in the morning. Moisture was at both interfaces - pad/reflectix and reflectix/bottom cabover board. It is easy to just wipe up on the hard surfaces and dry the towel outside when you can. It is harder to dry the mattress covers. We pull them out when we have direct sun. Since they are dark colored, getting rid of the dampness only takes a few minutes. Vinyl bottomed pad covers sound like a good idea.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Mine, too -- in my 2005 FWC Hawk.

Mine three in a 08 Eagle.
We tried the reflex a while back but did not attach it to the bottom so it moved around on us some. I thought it was more comfortable and warmer. Not sure about condensation.

#14 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

I have been using Reflectix under the cabover mattress for 3 years. I did it for warmth and would say that it did improve what I felt was a drafty sleeping area. I never had a problem with moisture before or after. With the vinyl bottom mattress would you not still have a moisture issue, it wold just be easier to dry?

#15 Walldiver

Walldiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

My wife and I were just this weekend talking about the condensation that we have noticed in the sleeping area of our Hawk. It is only around the lower couple of inches of the soft side near our heads and strangely on the wood molding on the ceiling from our heads to midway across the width of the entire ceiling. I presume this due to our breathing. We have the waterproof lining on the bottom of our cushions also and have not noticed moisture there, but then again have not looked for it.

We have replaced our cushions with a memory foam mattress and I am curious to see if it gets moist.

#16 n0izh

n0izh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationConcho, Arizona

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

We tried the Reflectix under the bed, works ok. Condensation goes from wet to just damp. A 1/2 inch solid foam sheet works much better though. We have the short cab-over on our Granby.With the bed pulled out there is a 1/2 inch difference in height from front to back.The solid foam levels things out and makes it easy to lift the cushions over each other when we slide the bed back for more room in the day time. The condensation doesn't go away with the solid foam in real cold temps(under 15 degrees), but way better than without! That's with the stock 2 inch cushions though, we haven't been out in the real cold since we added another 2 inch piece of foam under each cushion. We now have to leave the bed pulled out when we travel, but it's way more comfortable sleeping now. We'll give it a good test over Christmas. Going to Williams, AZ and to the Grand Canyon. Ought to be cold and snowy and "Christmas'y"

John
2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel 1998 Granby Engle Front Load Fridge Wave6 Heater Solar

#17 M1010 Mike

M1010 Mike

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

Those who are having condensation issues, you have a vent over the bed area? If you do, do you leave it open at all?

For us, we have only been out a few times but haven't noticed any issues but we do leave the vent open an 1" or 2. It also hasn't been colder than the low 50's to high 40's so that might have something to do with it.

Just curious.

1984 Chevy M1010 Ambulance - Desert Turtle Build Thread
Sold: Build Thread on American Adventurist Dodge Ram and FWC Build

#18 n0izh

n0izh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

The 2-inch mattress pieces that came with my FWC have fabric on the top and waterproof vinyl on the bottom. These came standard on my Eagle in 2008. Is this unusual, or do others have this as well?

I'm curious...next time you camp in cold conditions check inside the zipper and feel if it's wet inside the foam at the vinyl side. I was thinking of wrapping our bottom foam piece in plastic, but then thought the pastic might just hold the moisture and keep it from drying out in the morning.

Thanks
John

#19 Walldiver

Walldiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:18 AM

Those who are having condensation issues, you have a vent over the bed area? If you do, do you leave it open at all?

For us, we have only been out a few times but haven't noticed any issues but we do leave the vent open an 1" or 2. It also hasn't been colder than the low 50's to high 40's so that might have something to do with it.

Just curious.

I have 2 vents, one over the bed and one over the kitchen area. I always crack both open, years of camping in a tent taught me to always vent for the condenstation.

My wife and I have been wondering about the polar pack and condensation issue, if it would eliminate the moisture on the soft sides. We have noticed in the last few months that the camper has been draughty up by the soft sides more than during the summer. I'm sure that is one of the reasons that FWC came up with polar pack.

#20 n0izh

n0izh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:07 AM

Just curious.

We usually don't start getting condensation till it get's below 50 degrees at night, unless it's really humid and near the dew point. The problem is a cold surface against a warm one. More insulation means less condensation. We used to have a lot of condensation (hell call it what it is...lots of dripping water) on the vinyl. When we started using Reflectix (a poor man's artic pac) we no longer had the water trouble. Never on the inside, but maybe just a hint of water between the vinyl and Reflectix near our heads at night. We still had really damp cushions underneath the bed in the morning. I put a solid foam sheet under the front(my side) of the bed and found the damp greatly reduced. Can't wait to try things again now that we have 4 inches of cushion instead of 2. About the same time as the solid foam we started using our Wave6 heater. This meant we had to provide good ventilation to insure the O2 being used was replaced. We open the turnbuckle door beneath the fridge a couple inches and open the window near our heads. This also helps huge with the moisture build up inside.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users