118 replies to this topic

#41 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

But -- I have an infrared thermometer, I know how to use it, and I'm the kind of guy who's liable to use it!
Posted Image
...And mine has a hair-trigger. Posted Image

You didn't tell us you had a permit for a concealed carry. :P

I'm interested to learn what your findings are. Tomorrow's weather should be helpful.

And "No, we will not feed you for research!" However, we will barter for pecan pie.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#42 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:01 AM

We (the home builder I work for) are using a form of insulated aluminum foil in the house we are currently building. Although we are only using it under the heated floor, not in the walls or the ceiling.

One thing to remember about radiant heat: It's proportional to T4 = T x T x T x T (where "T" is the temperature of the object). The point of this is that "HOT" things radiate a lot more BTUs/hour than warm things.
Hot things like: pizza-delivery, your face, in-floor heating systems.

Will this be completed tonight? Tomorrow?

No, no, no! I am a very slow and lazy -- that is, methodical -- researcher (amazing I managed to keep my job for 30+ years Posted Image)...but when I do it it'll be right (which is how I managed to keep my job for 30+ years). Posted Image

I won't do this experiment until/unless the outside temperature is well below freezing -- in Bend it's not cold if it's above freezing.
For one thing, I haven't bought the fleece yet...maybe I will tomorrow. I want to do these tests all on the same night and/or with identical outdoor temperatures, and I'm not ready yet. Research is a slowww process.

Or as Principal Seymour Skinner says of Science: "All the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers. Yes science has it all."...ask highz for confirmation on this point. Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#43 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:33 AM

One of highz's radiant-barrier-material links provided this interesting section:
Heatsheets-On-A-Roll

Posted Image

"Made from polyethylene film and coated with vapor-deposited aluminum, our recyclable Heatsheets® reflect up to 97% of your body heat." 6-foot x 4-foot sheets.

These are the kind of ~disposable radiant-heat barriers that athletes might wrap around themselves after an event in cold weather and/or to keep from cooling off too quickly.
The smallest quantity is a 25-sheet roll and a minimum purchase of 2 rolls at $26.25/roll....and I'd only need a couple of sheets to line the soft-sides of my camper. Posted Image
Still....

#44 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:13 AM

"All the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers. Yes science has it all."

I understand. I was just being annoying. :D
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#45 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:18 AM

The smallest quantity is a 25-sheet roll and a minimum purchase of 2 rolls at $26.25/roll....and I'd only need a couple of sheets to line the soft-sides of my camper. Posted Image
Still....

I might be interested in buying a few sheets. I like the fact that these could be left in place when the top is dropped.

If we got a few members together we could go through this stuff pretty quick.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#46 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,361 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

I wrote this when I posted about building our arctic/cold weather pack:

"As with other projects posted here, I expect that many will come up with suggestions for improvements both in materials and designs - great!"

You folks are making my dreams come true................and with science! Thanks!

Mr. BC, I think "will research for fun" might be accurate also! :D

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#47 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

A no numbers data point (anecdotal?):
I typically camp sleeping in the back of Patch under it's fiberglass shell. I've twice had 2.5 gal water jugs freeze solid with me in there (T-Day weekend, Eureka Dune both times). The shell is old enough that it does not have the glued-on carpet liner. So ~1/4" of fiberglass for "insulation", except for the windows.

About those windows, my then girlfriend now wife didn't like "feeling like she was in a fishbowl" while dressing/undressing in the shell. This despite my assurances that my testing had revealed (um... ) that so long as the lighting bias favored outside that seeing in thru the tinted windows was nearly impossible. And since we were scheduled to spend New Years in Kelso Valley, CA with a bunch of others she wanted curtains of some sort. While wondering thru Albertson's one day they had 40" x 60" fleece throw blankets on sale, 3 for $9, I bought 6 of them. These were fairly thin blankets, what I would call slightly less than mid-weight in fleece clothing terms. I made 4 curtains out of those by folding them in 1/2 length-wise and sewing them together along with sewing a velcro strip along the top and spots of velcro along the bottom. At the cab to shell interface the shell has a rubber lip instead of a window, so "exterior" metal was exposed to the inside. Nice conductive path, wonder why it doesn't seem to matter when it's hot?

The difference inside the shell was astonishing! Where we were camped that first trip with the curtains in Kelso Valley the muddy ground would be frozen solid on the surface by about 7pm. I was having to unzip and open our cold weather bag to keep from sweating. It's rare that I've ever had too much sleeping bag for winter conditions. This time was one of them!

Observation:
All of my newer sleeping bags have an aluminized nylon cloth at least on the bottom of the inside, if not the whole interior. I'm guessing that's not an accident.

Some time ago this topic came up on Expo with reference to the OZ built trucks. I suggested something similar to an Arctic Pack liner, but made with diagonal baffles like how sleeping bags are made. I plan to make another set of curtains for the FJ60's windows and I plan to use fleece again. (Having worked for Pataloha when this material first came out I have a hard time not calling it by it's first name, Bunting.) If I can find some of the aluminized nylon fabric I will line the inside of the curtains with it, though I may put something with a pattern over it. Sewing bunting is not for the inexperienced. I learned this the hard way. It bunches something terrible. If you're not a competent sewer (as I am not) and you care about cosmetics I would strongly advise seeking out a sewer at the upper end of skill level for assistance or to have do that work.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#48 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

I've heard if you make a tent hat out of it and sit in a pyramid it will keep you warm, intuitive and very cosmic. Also the government won't steal your thoughts so an all aluminum camper makes sense to me. I'm on my way to Sedona to try it out.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#49 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

I've heard if you make a tent hat out of it and sit in a pyramid it will keep you warm, intuitive and very cosmic. Also the government won't steal your thoughts so an all aluminum camper makes sense to me. I'm on my way to Sedona to try it out.

Absolutely! And that pyramid will keep your razor blades sharp and food fresh, too!
This week I saw a "Mythbusters" rerun in which they tested "pyramid power". Ummm....guess how it turned out. Posted Image

And then there's the Simpsons episode in which Bart was given the drug "Focusyn" to address his ADD. His new-found ability to "focus" permitted him to realize (among other things) that Major League Baseball was spying on them, so he encased himself in aluminum to foil their surveillance. Turns out he was right.

Posted Image

BTW: Speaking of science...and The Simpsons...super-genius Stephen Hawking called The Simpsons "the best thing on American television". And who knows quality television better than a cosmologist?! Posted Image

#50 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

I expect that many will come up with suggestions for improvements both in materials and designs - great!"
Mr. BC, I think "will research for fun" might be accurate also! :D

While I think that fleece (or fleece+foil?) might be an improvement in "materials", there's no way I'll even match the "design". My sewing skills and/or patience to learn/carry-through are not up to that task. Posted Image

And yes, I do enjoy research! Posted Image I'd still be doing it professionally if my role hadn't morphed into tedium. Posted Image

A no numbers data point (anecdotal?):
.... fleece throw blankets on sale...I made 4 curtains out of those....
The difference inside the shell was astonishing! Where we were camped that first trip with the curtains in Kelso Valley the muddy ground would be frozen solid on the surface by about 7pm. I was having to unzip and open our cold weather bag to keep from sweating. It's rare that I've ever had too much sleeping bag for winter conditions. This time was one of them!
Observation:
All of my newer sleeping bags have an aluminized nylon cloth at least on the bottom of the inside, if not the whole interior. I'm guessing that's not an accident.

Thanks for the input, ntsqd. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users