#21 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:16 AM

HO HO HO, UPS dropped off presents:

Posted Image

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#22 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

Alright, T-linkage is in, new tires, coil spacers removed, moog track bar bushings, blisten 5100s all around and a fresh alignment. What you could call a fairly pleasant ride now as opposed to the lumber wagon ride.

Tire fit in wheel well after pulling the spacers:
Posted Image

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#23 GBW

GBW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

Alright, T-linkage is in, new tires, coil spacers removed, moog track bar bushings, blisten 5100s all around and a fresh alignment. What you could call a fairly pleasant ride now as opposed to the lumber wagon ride.

Tire fit in wheel well after pulling the spacers:
Posted Image

were you blown away at how responsive the steering is now? Maybe my old setup was just that bad...

2003 Dodge 2500 CCSB CTD auto

2001 FWC Hawk

#24 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:26 AM

It was a good improvement compared to where it was, shocks were a huge help on the ride, steering linkage/alignment tightened up the front substantially. At highway speeds it feels like the front axle is "walking around a bit" still,, not so much steering as opposed to the whole front. It's not horrible but if I can tighten it up it would be nice. I think I'm going to see about checking the control arm bushings out.

Not sure if this is just the way this 4 link coil axle is or not, been quite a few years since I'm had a solid front axle truck.

#25 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,042 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

Have you done a steering box stabilizer? http://www.genosgara...mber=BD-1032005

I did all of that stuff at once so its hard to say which is the best bang for the buck but its a lot nicer now.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#26 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

I did all of that stuff at once so its hard to say which is the best bang for the buck but its a lot nicer now.

No. I know there is the potential for the stabilizer, box rebuilt, and steering shaft upgrade if I have slop in the steering still. But I tend to think this feels like a bit of play in the axle to truck relationship. I downloaded the service manual for the truck and I read up on how to inspect the ball joints to double check those out. I need to see about getting a dial indicator.

#27 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:38 AM

I installed the BD Stabilizer a few days ago, changing absolutley nothing else and I was amazed how much better the truck steers, and how tight everything feels.

Look underneath and think about the leveraged thrust against the steering box while turning the wheel, or even going straight. Then consider the BD way of grasping the end of the box shaft to relieve the box of side thrust (much like full floating rear axle bearing design on 3/4 ton trucks) and you'll understand how this brilliantly designed stabilizer (really a brace) is well, a no-brainer.

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#28 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:53 AM

Its under consideration. I brought home a dial indicator to check my ball joints, they're fine and was looking at other things. The steering box housing is planted, that does not move when the steering is turned each way (no real way to measure the shaft which is the main purpose of the brace though). I was surprised the play in the track bar ends was 0.035" when combining both ends when the steering was turned from side to side. Not sure it that is an acceptable amount of movement or if that is one of my issues (these are new moog bushings).

#29 GBW

GBW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

I was taking a quick look at the stabilizer and noticed it was for the 5.9/6.7L engines (stated on the website). Pods has the Hemi, so I'm not sure it would work?? I'm sure you'd be giving them a call anyways. I'm not sure if the steering box housings and such are the same. Also, since his motor is lighter, maybe the effect is lessened?? Just don't want you buying a $250 part which might not work.

2003 Dodge 2500 CCSB CTD auto

2001 FWC Hawk

#30 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

I was taking a quick look at the stabilizer and noticed it was for the 5.9/6.7L engines (stated on the website). Pods has the Hemi, so I'm not sure it would work?? I'm sure you'd be giving them a call anyways. I'm not sure if the steering box housings and such are the same. Also, since his motor is lighter, maybe the effect is lessened?? Just don't want you buying a $250 part which might not work.

Should be the same. Regardless I ordered up a PSC brace (its cheaper than BD and also apparently they use thicker material so win/win). Found a vendor on ebay for $130 shipped so I figured it couldn't hurt and that price is a bit easier to accept. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users