15 replies to this topic

#11 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:08 PM

Marc, did you look into the revised T linkage steering upgrade at all? I'm giving that some consideration because it should hold its alignment regardless of the suspension (whether that's messing around with coil height, sagging suspension, suspension travel, etc.) and would just need the link to the pitman arm adjusted to recenter the steering wheel. Plus it would put fresh tie rod ends all around on the front end.

Pods, didn't check that out. Sounds like an alternative. Guess it depends on what your after.

marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#12 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

Pods, didn't check that out. Sounds like an alternative. Guess it depends on what your after.

marc

Not really an alternate just another piece of the puzzle. :lol:

(Note: I did TOO much reading on this stuff this weekend :blink: ).
Main players on the front end are springs, trac bar, sway bar and end links, steering linkage, shocks & stablizer, control arms.

You've previous identified the trac bar as an issue (its actually shitty bushings rather than the bar itself). You swapped coils and shocks as well as extended end links for the lift, for a 2" lift control arms should be fine unless a bushing has worn out.

In my case with the hemi (different spring rates than the diesel) I'm not sure if there is as much issue with the stock coils but I'm considering getting some power wagon coils which are softer than stock coils, they are 2" lift over stock which would keep the height about where it is now. The trac bar, links, and shocks are on my candidate list.

Anyways steering linkage is the last part of the puzzle, prior to mid 2008 has "Y" linkage and after that is "T" linkage, see picture below. The T linkage should hold alignment during suspension movement, the Y linkage the toe in/out can move as the suspension goes up/down.
Part numbers if you're interested:
52122362AG T Type Linkage
6505623AA Tie Rod Nuts X 3
68039930AA Pitman Arm If Built Before March 1st 2008
Also need a steering stabilizer, I don't have the number handy for the factory one since I'd consider an aftermarket one.
EDIT: I think the right blisten 5100 to use is Part Number: 33-170794 (Old Part Number: F4-BE5-H079-H0).

Posted Image

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#13 GBW

GBW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

Not really an alternate just another piece of the puzzle. :lol:

(Note: I did TOO much reading on this stuff this weekend :blink: ).
Main players on the front end are springs, trac bar, sway bar and end links, steering linkage, shocks & stablizer, control arms.

You've previous identified the trac bar as an issue (its actually shitty bushings rather than the bar itself). You swapped coils and shocks as well as extended end links for the lift, for a 2" lift control arms should be fine unless a bushing has worn out.

In my case with the hemi (different spring rates than the diesel) I'm not sure if there is as much issue with the stock coils but I'm considering getting some power wagon coils which are softer than stock coils, they are 2" lift over stock which would keep the height about where it is now. The trac bar, links, and shocks are on my candidate list.

Anyways steering linkage is the last part of the puzzle, prior to mid 2008 has "Y" linkage and after that is "T" linkage, see picture below. The T linkage should hold alignment during suspension movement, the Y linkage the toe in/out can move as the suspension goes up/down.
Part numbers if you're interested:
52122362AG T Type Linkage
6505623AA Tie Rod Nuts X 3
68039930AA Pitman Arm If Built Before March 1st 2008
Also need a steering stabilizer, I don't have the number handy for the factory one since I'd consider an aftermarket one.

Posted Image

I JUST did this upgrade on my new to me 2003 2500. I installed it a week ago and just had it aligned a few days ago. WOW. Its amazing. My old 'y' steering wasn't too bad but I figured since the truck was new to me, i'd just take the hit and spend a few bucks up front. The steering is so much tighter and responsive. I want to say that the ride is a little less choppy too. I'm not sure how to describe it but I think having the two front wheels pretty much locked together takes away the little bumps and smooths things out - as much as a dodge can get mind you!!! You can do this swap in your driveway and they take it for an alignment.

I got a new pitman arm, steering stabilizer too. I have read you can get away with the older stabilizer but it was only $100 so I got it too. I just wanted to keep it all the same and not mix vintages and styles of steering components.

2003 Dodge 2500 CCSB CTD auto

2001 FWC Hawk

#14 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

I got a new pitman arm, steering stabilizer too. I have read you can get away with the older stabilizer but it was only $100 so I got it too. I just wanted to keep it all the same and not mix vintages and styles of steering components.

Factory dampener or aftermarket? I think this is the right blisten 5100 http://cart.bilstein...earch/33-170794 for about the same price as the factory unit. There is the Carli blisten 7100 kit if you want that, probably not really needed for our no to low lift rigs: http://www.thecarlis...stabilizer.html

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#15 GBW

GBW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

Factory dampener or aftermarket? I think this is the right blisten 5100 http://cart.bilstein...earch/33-170794 for about the same price as the factory unit. There is the Carli blisten 7100 kit if you want that, probably not really needed for our no to low lift rigs: http://www.thecarlis...stabilizer.html

I went with factory. It was in a packaged kit for a slight discount. Changing the stabilizer at a later point would be super easy if needed. I figure I can get at least 3-4 years out of the stock one. I like it for now but I'm ignorant to the likely better quality aftermarket stabilizer. It was night and day with the new steering set-up as is!!

2003 Dodge 2500 CCSB CTD auto

2001 FWC Hawk

#16 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 962 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:56 AM

Marc.

Congrats on coming over to the dark side.
I can't wait to see the rest of it.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users