• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 dthomas

dthomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:25 AM

I have a Hawk with out a factory heater,so I have purchased a Wave3 for heat, and am wondering if most are using the stand and letting it sit on the floor or mounting it? If mounting it the 2 obvious places would be facing forward under the fridge, near the floor or facing back under the front seat. these 2 spots are close to flamable material and wiring so I am concerned? any suggestions? I apolizie if this has been asked before I am new to the forum
Thank you in advance
Dan

#2 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

I would mount it at the rear of the camper on the wall, like where an air conditioner would be mounted.

The Wave 3 puts out catalytic heat that travels in a straight line, so you want to have it pointed at where you will be sitting.

Unless you would rarely use the heater and want to leave it at home most of the time, I would see no reason to have it on the stand. I would mount it on the wall.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#3 dthomas

dthomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:48 AM

I would mount it at the rear of the camper on the wall, like where an air conditioner would be mounted.

The Wave 3 puts out catalytic heat that travels in a straight line, so you want to have it pointed at where you will be sitting.

Unless you would rarely use the heater and want to leave it at home most of the time, I would see no reason to have it on the stand. I would mount it on the wall.

Thanks for the quick responce, I just went outside and checked and I dont see it? I have a 2009 hawk, with the fridge,door and window on the back wall, I dont see much of a spot to mount it, it could go under the window,maybe, but it would be very close to the couch?

#4 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:12 AM

Hmmm.

With the window there may not be a space to mount it. Thats too bad.

Just try and mount it in a space where it will point towards the area where you will be sitting. If you want to post pictures of your interior I could look over your interior layout.

#5 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:13 AM

Also, I think the Wave 3 can be mounted on its side. I know the larger units can, but you would want to double check for the 3 unit.

#6 JohnF

JohnF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationThornton CO

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:15 AM

I had a conversation with Arnold, the owner of the company that makes the platinum cat heaters. His advice was, "Imagine the heater as if it was a flashlight, and you want to illuminate the inside ofthe RV as much as you can."

I suspect folks that get poor performance from their catalytic heaters "spot light" the heat rather than "flood".

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:19 AM

Be very careful of proximity to anything directly above the Wave. I hang mine on two screws directly below the factory furnace grill. I had to remove a factory vent, which seemed unnecessary since the space is open from below.

When the Wave 3 is on, the metal grill of the factory furnace gets quite hot, even though it is vertical from the Wave. We use both heat systems and like our Wave for it's quiet, efficient performance.

Don't know if your 09 Hawk is like my 08, but probably similar. I Tee'd off the gas where it exits the propane compartment and installed an 18" Mr. BBQ hose with quick disconnect. I recommend you bite the bullet and get the swivel 90 they offer. It will save a number of fittings.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:22 AM

I had a conversation with Arnold, the owner of the company that makes the platinum cat heaters. His advice was, "Imagine the heater as if it was a flashlight, and you want to illuminate the inside ofthe RV as much as you can."

I suspect folks that get poor performance from their catalytic heaters "spot light" the heat rather than "flood".

That is a great way to think about it.

A cat heater does not work like a hot air heater works, two different animals.

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

I have a Hawk with out a factory heater,so I have purchased a Wave3 for heat, and am wondering if most are using the stand and letting it sit on the floor or mounting it? If mounting it the 2 obvious places would be facing forward under the fridge, near the floor or facing back under the front seat. these 2 spots are close to flamable material and wiring so I am concerned? any suggestions? I apolizie if this has been asked before I am new to the forum
Thank you in advance
Dan

SunMan was kind enough to put a step by step guide on my web site.

http://www.jayaronowcampersales.com/Around_The_Campfire.html

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,391 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:30 AM

Also, I think the Wave 3 can be mounted on its side. I know the larger units can, but you would want to double check for the 3 unit.

The instructions with our Wave 3 said mount vertical only.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users