goodtimes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:41 AM

:rolleyes:

But each to their own. ;)

Yup. I'm a wuss when it gets cold - that's why I live in the desert.

:lol:

#22 tnscoots

tnscoots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

This is how I mounted a Wave 3 in our old ranger II, not a Hawk but perhaps this can add some ideas.

I originally mounted the heater on three screws hooking to the factory mount holes on the back of the unit.

Posted Image

After using the Wave 3 on a few trips and discovering firsthand how directional the heat is, I at least wanted the option of pointing it toward my seat and more into the living area. I figured a hinge would work.

Posted Image

I took the unit completely apart so I could drill and mount the length of piano hinge and docking latch to the back case. Because of the grills over the furnace outlets and outward position of the mounting holes, I used two pieces of 1/8” aluminum as a spacer under the hinge. I used a piece of aluminum for the latch arrangement and a brace to hold the heater in the outward position. I installed a ¼ X 20 threaded insert in the cabinet and use a bolt to hold the heater in place for travel.

Posted Image

When in the outward position I use the same bolt to hold the anchor brace in place via a hole drilled in the top of the heater case.

Posted Image

I used pieces of adhesive fuzzy (loop) Velcro as cushions on the back of the heater case and also along the bottom of the anchor brace so it fits snug in the space between the heater and the bottom of the cabinet edge. Although the grill of the Wave 3 gets very hot, I have found that the back case gets only warm to the touch.

Borrowing on Lighthawk's installation, I also used a length of rubber propane line and a quick disconnect. I tapped into my propane supply lines with a tee at the factory furnace connection. I had to pull out the furnace to access the supply line. This was the hardest part of the install.

#23 tnscoots

tnscoots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

Hey there Ski3pin - would you be so kind as to send some interior photos of your Ranger to tnscoots@cox.net? I'm currently refurbishing my '98 Shell, and it looks like some of your ideas would work for me.
Many thanks,
tnscoots

#24 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:41 AM

I've got a 08 Hawk and we mounted the Wave 3 directly below the factory furnace. (sorry no pics :o )
It hangs on two screws. Yes, it is directional, and occasionally when I'm cooking, my fleece pants (what I wear if it's cold enough to run the heater), will get hot. But when we're reclining to watch a laptop movie or in bed, we don't really care which direction it points. So far the dog(s) have managed to deal with it being down near the floor. In fact, they seem to enjoy the radiant heat. :D

Otherwise, it's silent and works fine for us. I tee'd a rubber hose off the line and have a quick disconnect so I can plug in or remove the Wave in a minute or so.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#25 Trailbob

Trailbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Idaho

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

Lighthawk mentioned that he mounted his Wave heater below the furnace in his Hawk camper, by hanging it on a couple of screws.  I would like to do the same, where it can be removed when not in use.  I have a couple of questions for Lighthawk, or anyone else who did this:  

-Did you remove the plastic vent cover for the converter, or do you put the Wave heater over the top of it?  It would look better with the plastic cover on (when the Wave is removed), but I wasn't sure if it could take the heat from the back side of the Wave.  

-How far below the furnace did you put the Wave?  

Thanks- Bob

#26 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:32 PM

I have a Buddy heater so I guess I don't have a dog in the fight so to speak but. Mine has a max output of 9000 btu if I remember right. Above freezing it is okay, but once it dips below that down to zero the 9000 just isn't big enough to be comfortable for me. I still need to be dressed for cold weather to be comfortable. 

I like that I can move mine around in the camper and even up on the counter to point into the bed area. I ran my hose from the outside cabinet through the turnbuckle hole and into the camper. For long stays I have a larger 10 pound bottle that I hook to in the same fashion but I have to sit the tank on something since it doesn't fit in the cabinet. 

I have thought about getting a wave because the Buddy won't work at high elevation over 7000 foot. That is a problem!!!! 

#27 Trailbob

Trailbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Idaho

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:44 AM

I also have a Buddy heater that I've used in the past up to 8700' with marginal success.  I like the fact that the Wave is more compact and is rated for higher altitude.  I put a quick disconnect in the main propane line that comes in the camper, so I use it when needed.  It's been too warm to use it yet, but I think that will be changing soon...

#28 rickC

rickC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:54 AM

I have an '05 Hawk with factory heater and a Mr. Heater, and use either, depending on my needs. The factory heater works great, but is quite loud and I need shore power or generator to run it. The Mr. Heater works well also, but placement became an issue.

My dog sleeps on the floor so that's a problem, and placing it on the counter uses up valuable counter space. So I decided to hang it in front of the front window of the camper. As noted in the pictures, the  1/2" board is 12" X 31" and rests below the window and the top lips into the bed pull out. You can slide it left or right and yet it stays secure when on the road. The heater hooks onto two screws that I placed on the board - can be either low or high. 

Don't try running the Mr. Heater with the top down as the ceiling can get quite hot. Also I tested the oxygen sensor by closing all the vents, and the heater went out. But I wouldn't recommend running the Mr. Heater without adequate ventilation.

It works well for me. When the single bed is being used, you can reach over and turn it on in the morning to warm up the camper, which is very convenient.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2001.jpg
  • DSCF2002.JPG

#29 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:00 AM

The Wave 8000 has less output than the Buddy heater but the thing is HUGE!! in fact they are all big. even the wave 3 is taller and about as wide as the buddy with 9000 BTU. 

#30 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:55 AM

Lighthawk mentioned that he mounted his Wave heater below the furnace in his Hawk camper, by hanging it on a couple of screws.  I would like to do the same, where it can be removed when not in use.  I have a couple of questions for Lighthawk, or anyone else who did this:  

-Did you remove the plastic vent cover for the converter, or do you put the Wave heater over the top of it?  It would look better with the plastic cover on (when the Wave is removed), but I wasn't sure if it could take the heat from the back side of the Wave.  

-How far below the furnace did you put the Wave?  

Thanks- Bob

Hi Bob

I just measured the screw mounts for the Wave heater and they are 2" below bottom of factory furnace, and just above the plastic vent cover.   Basically, I mounted the Wave as high as I could.  The back of the unit doesn't get hot enough to affect the vent cover.  I used machine screws with button heads with nuts on both sides of the plywood cabinet face, using a nylock on the backside.  So far, the screw heads, from which the Wave hangs, have not budged.  I will dismount the Wave if we are doing rough trail, but on pavement and graded gravel, the Wave stays put.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users