72 replies to this topic

#11 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:30 PM

Maybe will work this time.
Takes only a few minutes to put wheels on jacks before loading and take off after loaded.

Very cool. Thanks for posting this.

Ben, Stan- what do you think? Is the lateral stress too much? How about on the hill like my driveway? With this, I could just roll it down hill onto the truck.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#12 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback. The height is decieving in the pictures, That is one monster of a dolly.

Ben, Stan- what do you think? Is the lateral stress too much? How about on the hill like my driveway? With this, I could just roll it down hill onto the truck.

Maybe you can make a funnel and just let her go...:eek:

On a slope I would be afraid that the front wheels if too small would hit a expansion joint and the camper would tip over...

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#13 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:09 AM

The one thing that I would worry about with the wheels on the jacks was if you hit a piece of gravel and one of the wheels stopped. With enough momentum going it wouldn't take much to do some major damage to one corner in that case. On a perfectly smooth surface I would think that it would work fine but I don't see too many driveways that are flat and that smooth. One good expansion joint or small rock could ruin your day.

My experience with this type of rock vs wheel was on a skateboard long ago. I was cruising along rather well, very small rock stopped front wheel. By the time I realized what the law of physics implies in a case like this I was about 15 feet in front of the skate board and about to do a frontal landing that I knew was not going to be pretty.

Some road rash later and an investigation into the cause of my sudden flight without a pilots license taught me to watch the road a little closer from then on and of course this lesson has stayed with me to enlighten me to other applications of the same principals.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#14 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:41 PM

My drive way is also sloped, so when I want to take the camper off, I've either left it on the street or in the locked parking lot a work. I never even considered putting it on a trailer! I think I'll pick one up soon, then I can put the truck in the garage for some mechanical work I have planned.

Thanks Jay.

#15 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:51 PM

Ed, I live to serve.

The trailer worked really well and ended up being just a little more costly than building a dolly and considerably more useful.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#16 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:57 AM

This thread inspired me to make a camper dolly for my new Grandby yesterday. I sort of followed brett13's idea, but I used whatever materials I had laying around so it's somewhat different. I made mine using five 2"X6"X8' boards, two 4'X8' sheets of 3/8" CDX plywood, a couple of scrap 2"X8" boards that I cut to 64" long, and four old heavy duty caster wheels I wasn't using for anything else. I forgot to take pictures during construction so you'll just get to see the finished product. I basically framed it like a 2"X6" stud wall that was 4' wide and 8' long with the studs on 16" centers. It was then sandwiched between the two sheets of plywood. The 64" long 2"X8" boards were lag bolted across each end with 8" sticking outside the box on each side where I bolted on the casters. The boxed platform turned out very strong.

Now I can take the camper off the truck inside my shop and easily move it out of the way for storage.

Buzzman

Attached Thumbnails

• PB240011 (Small).JPG
  • PB240012 (Small).JPG
  • PB240015 (Small).JPG

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#17 Linda

Linda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:09 PM

;)That really looks great!
Have boots will travel

#18 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

That is great. Sure looks solid!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#19 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:11 PM

buzzman, nice dolly. But that is a really nice shop. Love those Sprites.

Cheers,

Mike

#20 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:56 PM

Mike,

My shop is getting full. I need to stop accumulating "stuff" or I will have to add on to the shop. I plan to pull the white sprite on a trailer behind the FWC on some trips to the Rockies next year. Camp somewhere, with good, hard surface roads, and cruise around in the sprite. At least that's one of my ideas. We'll see if that works.

Buzzman

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users