72 replies to this topic

#51 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:57 AM

Ouch!! How expensive was that lesson!!!! :o

Under a $100. Just used some harbor freight units, think they were running about $20 when I bought them. Onsale for $17 right now: http://www.harborfre...ster-38944.html

I'd rather have used these for a better strength/built quality (on appearance) but I was going for larger over the gravel. As it is it still doesn't roll well on gravel, digs in/turns wheels, so some plywood strips would be needed under the wheels to make it happen. http://www.harborfre...ster-41565.html

The rest of the cart was just a cheapie quickly slapped together form some 2x4s to test it out, I'd built a better/stronger one for long term.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#52 MANXMAN

MANXMAN

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:40 PM

Used some of the ideas from this thread and combined with some of my own, built this dolly. It rolls very easily and will be high enough for getting in and out of easily when doing the interior build this winter but low enough to clear my shop's ceiling lights when popped up.

i-34KwDK8-L.jpg

2014 F150 S/C V8 4X4
2014 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

2017 F350 S/C V8 4X4

2017 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

#53 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:10 PM

Nice looking dolly. Get a little jealous every time I see a flat bed camper. :wub:

Looking forward to your build. Take lots of pictures we love pictures.

Bill

#54 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:53 PM

Wow!
I looked at this thread a couple of weeks ago and didn't see much response.

Thanks to everyone for reviving this!

I still have to decide how to do it. In my case I have a flat driveway and don't have any height issues so I'm trying to to figure if i can build one 2 to 3 feet tall....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#55 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:27 PM

Wow!
I looked at this thread a couple of weeks ago and didn't see much response.

Thanks to everyone for reviving this!

I still have to decide how to do it. In my case I have a flat driveway and don't have any height issues so I'm trying to to figure if i can build one 2 to 3 feet tall....

The higher the dolly, the less lowering and raising you will need to do.  Storing in your garage will obviously need to be taken into consideration, so that you can just roll in for storage.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#56 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:26 PM

I built a plywood dolly that's just low enough that I can pop up the camper in the garage. I also adjusted my garage door to retract an extra inch or so which allows me to drive truck with camper inside garage. Depending upon the ceiling height of your garage, you may not want to build too tall of a dolly.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#57 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,339 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:26 PM

I built a plywood dolly that's just low enough that I can pop up the camper in the garage.

<snip>

This is a big plus and we did this also.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#58 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:46 PM

I looked back over this thread. Way back several years ago, someone used the 1170 lb capacity Harbor Freight trailer. I am thinking about doing the same. I need to go over some gravel in the drive and wondered how the trailer worked out. Anyone else using the HF trailer?  Looking for current experiences.  I realize there is a trailer with more capacity (1720 lbs) but I have an old Grandby (24" overhang) that is a shell and I plan to keep it that way. This trailer will only be used to get the camper into the garage and back out to the driveway.

Thanks. 

2011 Dodge - Cummins

Ancient FWC Grandby, coming back to life!

#59 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

FYI: The Harbor Freight trailers are on sale this month.

2011 Dodge - Cummins

Ancient FWC Grandby, coming back to life!

#60 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:27 PM

...Anyone else using the HF trailer?  Looking for current experiences....

I have an old FWC Eagle on such a trailer right now. It was a temporary measure, as the trailer is usually used for yard debris (lots!).

It's as easy to maneuver as any other small trailer. I did put a $20 HF wheeled jack on the tongue (my trailer is an older model, don't know if new comes with a tongue jack, but you need it!) I also put a car jack stand under the rear rail of the trailer to assure that it wouldn't see-saw if I stepped into the back of the camper.

The only disadvantage is the height - I can't pop the camper open in the garage. I'll probably build a low dolly for this reason, and, the yard debris is accumulating!

BTW, I have old-style cable jacks for the camper, and the trailer wheels were a close fit between the jack bases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users