13 replies to this topic

#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:38 PM

Our Hawk has always had some wrinkles in the vinyl in the cabover section. The first photo is behind the driver's side. This looks pretty much the same as when it was new. But behind the passenger's side, it seems to have worsened and now has a tear, as seen in the second photo. This is leaving the wood exposed.

My thought is to remove the screws along that section and simply push the loose vinyl back into place. I will add some silicone to the location of the tear to seal it up.

My question for those of you that have worked on this section of the camper, and/or Ben and Stan, is if it is that simple. Others have had to remove their canvas and inside finish work to replace this board. Do I need to do that just to fix the vinyl or is the board loose enough to remove a few screws and pull the vinyl tight as planned?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tedcamper 001.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• camper 003.jpg

#2 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:17 PM

I haven't seen that one before. I would go one of two ways with it. The first would be to just take off the outside trim piece that you have there, glue the vinyl back to the board if possible and reinstall the trim. The problem with this idea though is that I doubt you will be able to get all the vinyl glued back in place well enough to last over the long haul.

The second way that I would do it and I think this will work well in the long run, is to just cut the loose vinyl off the board. Once the vinyl starts to come loose like that I would expect it to continue unless you take off the loose part. I would strip off the loose vinyl and then paint the exposed area with a good exterior white paint so that it will be a close match. You can even take a sample of the vinyl to a Home Depot and have them make a quart of paint that will match for very little expense.

Now I would also expect to do this a few times over the years as more of the vinyl tends to come loose. There is no reason though, that if you keep ahead of it and use a good exterior paint that you should have any problem with the bed board or have to replace it. Moisture is the killer on these bed boards and as long as you keep it sealed with a good paint, it should hold up just as long as the floor packs of the campers do.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#3 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:09 AM

Mine has the same problem, pretty frustrating. It seems as though a better material is in order, or maybe FWC has already switched to a new design since my camper (2001)

#4 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:46 AM

I don't know what FWC is using today. We have switched to a new bed board that has a hard covering now instead of the vinyl.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

#5 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:00 PM

Since Stan hasn't replied yet I'll chime in. The new FWC's don't have the vinyl covering. The surface is what appears to be a high quality paint. I'm sure Stan will fill us in later.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#6 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:23 PM

Hey Ted

Let me check on it and get back with you.

I know we are using different materials now, but I want to verify what it is.

Feel free to call Chicali in our service dept. if you like.

He might be able to give you some tips & tricks to fit it.

CHICALI 800-242-1442

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#7 prospector

prospector

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:02 AM

Has this been identified yet? I'm heading down to the factory in Eagle WI on Saturday to check out some Hawks. I'll add this to my list of things to checkout/questions to ask.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:32 AM

You won't find the factory in Eagle, but you will find a very knowledgable and helpful dealer who has been in business for years, Sean Dempsy and his wife Diana. We bought are Hawk from him last year at this time.

He is much closer to you than the factory!

Before final purchase, I suggest reading thread on option regrets.

#9 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:07 AM

The option regrets is a good thread to start with. Everyone has a different idea though on what options work for them compared to others.

The one thing to think about is how your going to use the camper and in what conditions you will have it in. Then in turn the options that you feel would work well for you in your style of camping.

Sean is a great guy to work with and if you call Stan at the factory, he should have a wealth of information on the pro's and con's of the options from customer feedback over the years and how they have used them in the conditions that are similar to yours.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

#10 Pete D

Pete D

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:17 PM

Ben, that's excellent advice! A person's camping style is going to strongly affect which options are going to be useful and which are going to be a waste of money, space and fuel.

The little fiberglass trailer groups are rife with folks adding bathrooms to their used rigs while other folks are taking bathrooms out because they want the space!

My latest trailer came with a converter and no battery because the original owner camped only in CGs with hookups; I've put in a battery and removed the converter because I rarely camp with hookups.

A person who camps in warm weather is going to want all the ventilation possible and a person who camps in cold weather is likely to prefer insulation to windows, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users