• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

Okay, sounds like everybody thus far has a separate/additional coverage for the camper. Is this through your auto insurance company?

And I tried calling my insurance, but nobody was available. WTH, it is Sunday evening! <_<
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#12 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Okay, sounds like everybody thus far has a separate/additional coverage for the camper. Is this through your auto insurance company?

On mine, I pick a value of the camper and it is added to the truck policy. Not a separate policy.
(Auto Owners Insurance)
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#13 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

Mine is part of my auto insurance policy but is considered a separate unit....ie not a "rider" on my truck insurance. Another interesting thing is that I have overlap with my home owners insurance. If the camper is off the truck and on the property home owners insurance will cover loss. If it is unloaded and in the street no coverage through home owners insurance. that is why i decided to insure it both ways. No matter where it is or if its on or off the truck its covered.

Cort

#14 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

Mine is part of my auto insurance policy but is considered a separate unit....ie not a "rider" on my truck insurance. Another interesting thing is that I have overlap with my home owners insurance. If the camper is off the truck and on the property home owners insurance will cover loss. If it is unloaded and in the street no coverage through home owners insurance. that is why i decided to insure it both ways. No matter where it is or if its on or off the truck its covered.

Cort

Same here. My insurance (2006 Grandby) involved just calling in, give S/N and model, and is $82/yr with $500 deductible for collision ($20), comp($61), no liability required.

So:
Insurance - $82/yr
Plate registration - $10/yr
Camping trips in it - priceless :-)

Never know when you are going to back up in the woods turning around in the dark and forgetting to look up with a flashlight - at least until you hear the sound of a very stiff tree branch trying to take out your camper roof top fixtures or side walls. Or so I hear...

or hail damage, or a car rear ending you, or...

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#15 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

(2006 Grandby) ....and is $82/yr with $500 deductible for collision ($20), comp($61), no liability required.

Thanks for the numbers.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#16 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:33 AM

I'm like Cort. It's part of my Home/Auto Bundle.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#17 LT Traveler

LT Traveler

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'm like Cort. It's part of my Home/Auto Bundle.

Same here. Camper's covered on or off the truck. $114 a year with Progressive, covered for $16K.
2004 Nissan Titan w/ 2011 FWC Hawk

#18 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

I finally got into researching this.

My State Farm agent in CA just quoted $25.60/yr. to add the 2008 Hawk to my truck policy.
I need to provide serial #, make & model, which they will do over the phone. I've been with them 20+ years, so maybe they trust me?

Deductible is $500 for collision and $500 for comp. I gave them a value of ~$9,000, but they said they would value it at replacement cost if/when there is a claim. This is similar to auto policy I think. They don't tell you what they would total the car for, unless it happens. In any case, it's a deal that I'm willing to buy.

On a similar vein, I looked into coverage for photo equipment. They quoted $7000 coverage/no deduct for $127/yr. or $3000/no deduct for $54.60. Equip must be lost to a 'named event', i.e. fire, theft, vandalism. It doesn't count when you do front flips down a desert ravine and smash your LCD ;) My home owners would also cover loss, but my deductible is $2000 :(

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#19 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,377 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:56 AM

<snip It doesn't count when you do front flips down a desert ravine and smash your LCD ;) <snip>

What? Don't these folks live in the same world we do? :blink:

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users