40 replies to this topic

#11 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

What little Internet time I've had has been used for work but I'm currently in a cottage in Patagonia, AZ and have some time for some updates so here we go!

Although I've been fleeing cold nasty weather I did get some nice warm sunshine on the shores of Walker Lake:

Posted Image

I've been to Rhyolite before but never really got any good photos due to poor weather. This day wasn't much different. I got a few good photos before hail and rain chased me out again.

Posted Image

Furnace Creek Campground in Death Valley is closed for construction so I find myself at Sunset again. Shortly after I arrive a wicked dust storm hits the camp and its a bad one. The kind where you wonder if these popup soft-sided campers are actually going to hold together. Of course it does and once the storm subsides some nice weather sets in so I spend a couple days. This is the first times I've ever really participated in the RV culture and I have to admit I met a lot of nice folks and had a good time.

Posted Image

#12 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Onward - Red Rock Canyon State Park:

Posted Image

Mining town I hadn't previously visited, Randsburg:

Posted Image

At this point cold winds have still been chasing me right into Southern California. My hope was that Julian, in the mountains above San Diego, would finally offer some inviting weather. I was amused (and irritated) to find that the night before Julian had gotten several inches of snow. There were news teams there covering all the people that drove up to Julian to play in the snow. Needless to say, I wasn't as charmed by the fluffy white stuff as the locals were. And ironically, camping conditions that night were the coldest of the entire trip.

Posted Image

Until now this has been a whirlwind (no pun intended) trip with a lot of driving and stays at crappy RV parks. Now that I'm in southern Arizona I'll be slowing it down and enjoying the weather. More soon!

#13 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

DD

Never seen a camper look so at home out there, as yours does! Envious !

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#14 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:29 AM

Ever drive thru an area knowing that you're missing out on things just out of view that you're passing by and don't know about? I get that feeling frequently when in new to me territory. In guessing your probable route between Rhyolite and Red Rock I can think of three of those things. Panamint Springs Resort is the most remote place that I know of to carry the hard to find (out of Butte Cnty, KA) Sierra Nevada seasonal beers and Barley Wines and is a pretty fine place to not eat your own cooking (for a change). Just west of PSR is Darwin Falls. Most folks hike to the obvious falls and I'll bet are a little disappointed. Scrambling up past them yields the true reward. Lastly, right off the side of 395 almost within sight of both Johannesburg and Ridgecrest is the Trona RR's tunnel thru a ridge. It is sloped and dead straight, can see light thru it most times. I'll ignore the obvious joke here... It is a desert m/c rider's rite of passage to have ridden thru the tunnel, or it used to be anyway. If you're even passingly interested in RR stuff it's an interesting place.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#15 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:37 AM

And, if you head back thru Randsburg, stop in the General Store and get a Cherry Phosphate, however, only get one, no more, don't ask how I know one is the limit to have.

#16 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:36 AM

Almost forgot Trona Pinnacles:

Posted Image

#17 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:38 AM

DD,

How could you ever forget Trona?
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#18 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

Must see Trona movie.
http://movies.netfli...1?trkid=2361637

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#19 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Almost forgot Trona Pinnacles:

Posted Image

It sure is hard to beat Trona!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#20 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

Good to see both Dog's on the road again. How is my buddy Diego doing ??? Dylan sends his best regards.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users