• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Somewhere I read something about filling the small camper propane tank by connecting it a larger bulk tank.

We recently started using a propane stove, and we have two 100lb portable tanks for the oven. If I am correct I can connect my 15lb camper tank to the 100lb tank and the propane will ''siphon'' over to the smaller tank.

Do I need any special fittings, or just hook the two tanks to each other? Can I overfill my little tank doing this?

Only reason that I am considering going this route is that there is no good option for filling my camper tank within 130 miles of me. So getting my little camper tank filled is a major pain.

Thanks for the help.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#2 Tuna

Tuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationJoshua Tree,Ca.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

If you connect the 2 tanks and turn them both on you'll be able to get some in you small bottle but not full,you'll hear them and what there doing is equalizing the pressure.Propane is a liguid and all work off of vapor not the liquid(big no no) Using a 100# to a 5gal. bottle you'll probably get it half full before they equalize. If you get the copper tube that hooks to the valve(pig tail}just hook each end to each tank valve,when the noise stops turn both tanks off and disconect pig tail.
Craig Joshua Tree,CA.

#3 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

I recently checked into this at my propane dealer. I wanted to be able to fill my 20# tanks from a larger tank with no pump. He said I need a minimum of a 250 gallon tank with bottom exit.

But he can't get any. All on back order. Seems the doomsday survivalists have got them all sewed up!!!
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#4 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

I do it all the time. Fill a 1-1/2 gallon tank from a 5 gallon. I have a hose with 2 male fittings on it. Hang the big tank upside down, open both valves and open the vent screw until vapor comes out. Remember, LPG is a liquid and that is what you are transferring.

I verify how full it is on a bathroom scale, using this:
http://metrology.bur...a/calc_lpg.html

This does work and it works quite well.

~DR
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#5 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

I do it all the time. Fill a 1-1/2 gallon tank from a 5 gallon. I have a hose with 2 male fittings on it. Hang the big tank upside down, open both valves and open the vent screw until vapor comes out. Remember, LPG is a liquid and that is what you are transferring.

I verify how full it is on a bathroom scale, using this:
http://metrology.burtini.ca/calc_lpg.html

This does work and it works quite well.

~DR

Thanks for the info Desert Rancher!
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users