• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:38 PM

I need some help deciding an electric vs a manual water pump...

Manual is better, because of...
Lower cost?
No electricity used?
Maybe no winter freeze problems?
Easier to trouble shoot if a clog happens?

Because I do not have my camper yet, how does the manual water pump work...
Each pump produces x ounces?
Water only flows while pump handle moves?

Also, someone made a comment about something hitting the manual ? or electric? pump and it accidentally turn on?

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#2 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:40 PM

Mike,

We really like the electric water pump option, more convenient for larger amounts of water, dish washing, filling water bottles, etc. Winterizing is more difficult with it though. To do it properly the water lines should be disconnected to drain the pump completely or add an antifreeze to the system which I don't like doing. Even without the pump the system still needs to be winterized to keep it from freezing. So far we haven't had any problems, but the camper and truck are garaged when not in use. The switch on our pump must be held down to run water so no accident on is possible.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#3 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:09 PM

mike, i have the manual pump but have never used it...the winterizing issue would come up for me...it can get cold in a moments notice in mt. and having pipes/pumps freeze and break would be a pain. let us know what you come up with!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#4 Puffins

Puffins

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationJackson County OR

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:01 PM

Running a manual with no problems. You get a good amount with each pump. Helps with water and battery conservation.

But hey, I like the manual windows on my commuter.
Mike Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket? (Had 95 Hawk on a)06 Chevy 2500HD Crew Duramax 02 Nash 19B State of Jefferson Refugee

#5 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

I hate the manual pump because i like having two hands for cleaning (not one pumping water)

I added a electric pump and put a valve inline to reduce the waterflow if i need to. Even with the electric pump you can still use the handpump.
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:15 PM

Mike,

We have the electric pump. Even with it, you need to prime the faucet with the hand pump before turning it on. And I have accidently turned on the pump by bumping into the button also. All in all, I prefer the ease of the elctric.

One non-factory option I have seen is a foot pump. It is the type used in yachts so it may take some research to find one. It pumped on the downstroke as you step on it and on the upstroke when you release it so you get a constant stream, unlike the hand pump. Might be a bit of work but just wanted to let you know there is another option out there.

Ted

edit - found one on line: http://www.defender....16451&id=223941

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,042 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:25 PM

I have the electric to go along with the shower option. I can't quite imagine using a hand pump and showering :rolleyes:

#8 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:32 PM

Ted,

The link you posted is to a pump that puts out 4 gal per min. That is a lot of flow. Kramer would approve of that shower. For comparison, I believe the electric pumps put out 1.0 GPM. Although, since it is manual, you can always just skip a beat and it could be more efficient than the electric since you don't waste as much. Thanks.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#9 Pete D

Pete D

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:58 PM

If you have a shower, you pretty much have to have electric, but otherwise I prefer the manual.

It keeps you from wasting water when washing hands, brushing teeth, rinsing stuf, etc. It also uses absolutely no electricity, needs less maintenance and is easy and in-expensive to replace. It will generate a lot less gray water.

BTW, the handle on the manual pump has two positions, one of which keeps the prime when left there and the other releases the prime (easy winterizing!). The positions are usually marked on the side.

I sort of got around the two-hand problem by keeping a dish-detergent squeeze bottle of water by the sink when I was fulltiming and that also meant better rinsing because the water went right were I wanted it.

#10 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:53 AM

I see that electric vs a manual water pump has very strong opinions!

Since we will be getting an ATC (no shower option) we will be going with an Outback Porta-Privy and heat water via solar plastic bag, the stove, or a Zodi heater.

I especially like what Pete said...

It keeps you from wasting water when washing hands, brushing teeth, rinsing stuff, etc. It also uses absolutely no electricity, needs less maintenance and is easy and in-expensive to replace. It will generate a lot less gray water.

The ATC only holds 15 gallons of water, and we tend to be pretty stingy with water.

But, since I have until June 2008, I have plenty of time to make the final decision.

Thanks for all the great feedback! :D

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users