- - - - -

Grandby on 6.5 Dodge Ram 2500?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Azxboy_*

Guest_Azxboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Considering a Grandby for my short bed Dodge 2500 in lieu of a Hawk. Pros and cons?

#2 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

sample pics for you ...

:)

Attached Thumbnails

• Grandby on a short bed truck #2.jpg
  • grandby on dodge short bed #1.jpg
  • grandby on dodge short bed #2.jpg
  • dodge ram 2500 quadcab #1.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#3 Guest_Azxboy_*

Guest_Azxboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

sample pics for you ...

:)

Thanks, Stan

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

Pros = you will get a little bit more room inside the longer camper.

(maybe a nice option if you have kids)

Cons = a little more weight behind the rear axel.

camper sticks out, so if you plan on towing something you might need a simple hitch extender

Attached Thumbnails

• hitch extender.jpg
  • Hitch Extension.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 goodtimes

goodtimes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

I've got a Grandby on a 3/4 ton short bed Dodge.

It works - but most of the camper weight is carried by the rear suspension. This results in the front being a bit light, and the rear a bit heavy - and you can really tell the difference, especially off road. It's not scary "OMG I'm gonna die" bad - but it sure would handle better if some of the weight could be moved to the front axle, especially off road. Airbags (or stiffer springs) will help, so would a heavier sway-bar on the rear.

One other thing to remember - if you leave your tailgate on (as shown in one of the pictures that Stan posted above), be sure you can lower your spare tire with the tailgate down before you load the camper.

#6 Guest_Azxboy_*

Guest_Azxboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

I've got a Grandby on a 3/4 ton short bed Dodge.

It works - but most of the camper weight is carried by the rear suspension. This results in the front being a bit light, and the rear a bit heavy - and you can really tell the difference, especially off road. It's not scary "OMG I'm gonna die" bad - but it sure would handle better if some of the weight could be moved to the front axle, especially off road. Airbags (or stiffer springs) will help, so would a heavier sway-bar on the rear.

One other thing to remember - if you leave your tailgate on (as shown in one of the pictures that Stan posted above), be sure you can lower your spare tire with the tailgate down before you load the camper.

The weight distribution was my concern. I guess I would prefer less room of the Hawk vs a less than ideal load/ride scenario. Thanks.

#7 White Dog

White Dog

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationNiverville, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

My brother looked into hitch extenders for his truck because he wanted his ATV in the truck while pulling his travel trailer. I don't know which ones he looked at but he says they are only meant for light duty. Apparently they aren't Class V like the OEM on most new trucks and don't work with weight-distribution receivers.

Just thought I would throw out the cautionary note.

If you need better weight balance, you could always buy an ARB Bull Bar and Warn winch for the front. That adds a couple of hundred pounds. Sounds like a great excuse to me ;)
2011 Toyota Tundra with a FWC Grandby

#8 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

You can get some serious hitch extenders. Very common to see them on dually trucks under 11ft campers towing 20ft trailers or jeeps. Thet have chain and turnbuckle support on the sides, and can have parallel square steel pipe extensions, with weight distribution hitch also. Works fine, gets us to Utah and back no problem :-)

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#9 RamRider

RamRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

My brother looked into hitch extenders for his truck because he wanted his ATV in the truck while pulling his travel trailer. I don't know which ones he looked at but he says they are only meant for light duty. Apparently they aren't Class V like the OEM on most new trucks and don't work with weight-distribution receivers.

Just thought I would throw out the cautionary note.

If you need better weight balance, you could always buy an ARB Bull Bar and Warn winch for the front. That adds a couple of hundred pounds. Sounds like a great excuse to me ;)

Diesel Rams are awfully front heavy. Is something like 4500lb front and 2600 rear axle weight distribution. Camper even sticking past bed will just barely balanced it a tad better. Even with Hemi Rams it will just set it close to 50:50. CTD puts almost 1000lb extra (between engine, transmission,etc) on front axle.

2008 Power Wagon, Oldish (early 90s?) FWC Ranger. 

abkogan@gmail.com

#10 White Dog

White Dog

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationNiverville, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

You can get some serious hitch extenders. Very common to see them on dually trucks under 11ft campers towing 20ft trailers or jeeps. Thet have chain and turnbuckle support on the sides, and can have parallel square steel pipe extensions, with weight distribution hitch also. Works fine, gets us to Utah and back no problem :-)

Do you have a link to these? I would like to pass it on to my brother.
2011 Toyota Tundra with a FWC Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users