10 replies to this topic

#1 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:16 AM

Because of work Wednesday night I had a late start Thursday, which meant going through Bakersfield around noon - I sure am glad I have air conditioning in the truck. Anyway, I made it to Indepence, CA around 3:00 PM, got gas and headed up Mazourka Canyon Rd. After a few sight seeing stops, I made it to Badger Flat around 6:00 PM and spent the rest of the day light wandering around.

It was clear that night when I started cooking dinner, but about 1/2 hour later a squall line came through and dumped on me for about 15 minutes. The rain was kind of a problem because I was grilling outside, but hey, it was more fun than bothersome.

The next day I continued up and north. Not far out of Badger Flat the road got real fun (and occasionally nerve wracking) - narrow, some rock crawling, lots of side ways tilt to the road, I even got out and walked 3 different stretches. The road gets up to 9,500 feet.

I did suffer 1 casualty when I was going down a narrow section of road that titlted to the right, on granite, covered with pea-gravel. I was almost past a particularly close in branch when the truck slipped a few inches and hit it at the very rear of the camper. The vertical weather strip between the back and side of the camper was pulled out a little.

The first 2 pictures are from Badger Flat, the next 2 pictures are from the peek of the road.

Attached Thumbnails

• Pic01.jpg
  • Pic02.jpg
  • pic04.jpg
  • pic05.jpg

#2 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:19 AM

I finally made down to Papoose Flat which is at about 8,000 feet. While the rest of Southern California was suffering from a heat wave with temperatures as high as 115F, I was in comfortable 80F weather. Friday and Saturday nights I fell asleep under the stars on my poncho wearing jeans, boots, a thermal shirt, tee-shirt and hat, and woke up between midnight and 2:00 AM because I was cold – what a great way to go to sleep and wake up!

I met a group of 10 jeeps, land rovers, etc. while exploring Squaw Flat to the east. Luckily they had radios and room for me to pull to the side about 100 yards in front of me, so I didn’t have to back up; the closest passing location was about 1/4 mile behind me.

Later I met a couple with a 4x4 VW Vanagon. I think that’s the kind of vehicle that might make a nice addition to this forum. I didn’t realize it, but the Vanagon doesn’t have a low range transfer case, but it does have a granny gear, and they had the same philosophy as most of use here.

I spent the rest of the days wondering around Papoose Flat and Squaw Flat, going to the north, south, down the middle, in the day and night. I even got up at 4:00 AM one day for a morning walk. There were thunder storms all around me during the evenings, but I never got rained on again. Following are some of the better pictures of: dogs tired after a long walk, views of Papoose Flat from various angles, rain storms, etc.

Attached Thumbnails

• pic06.jpg
  • pic08.jpg
  • pic09.jpg
  • pic10.jpg
  • pic11.jpg

#3 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:21 AM

The last day and sunset.

Attached Thumbnails

• pic12.jpg
  • pic13.jpg
  • pic14.jpg
  • pic15.jpg

#4 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:59 AM

Purty kewl, Ed--

Now that we've had the truck checked out a little, I want to take Edna and go on a trip like yours!

M

#5 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:19 PM

Wonderful pix Ed. The dogs look like they were pretty relaxed and the scenery is beautiful. I remember about 15 years ago heading up to Bishop creek about 11,000 feet above Bishop. The road was very drivable but the climb was hell. I had a Nissan that made it fine but when we got there a Vanagon was stopped working on his tranny. He had to slip the clutch all the way up the hill land burned it out. I dont think there made for our type of camping.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#6 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:47 PM

Ed,

Very nice shots and write up. Thanks.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#7 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:28 PM

Edo ... Nice shots and a cool write up. It's been about a month since my last outing and I'm getting kind of feverish for a trip like that. Thanks for posting.

Marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:07 AM

That looks like a great trip! I love camping in the desert.

#9 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:36 AM

Great photos. The inyos are beautiful.
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#10 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:34 PM

Edo,

Great pictures and write up!! Somehow I overlooked your report for the last week or so...Certainly somewhere I would like to check out..sounds like alot of area up there..

the wife and I ended up staying at a friends house in Montecito for a couple of days over the holiday/10th anniversary weekend. It was nice..thank ou for your PM on info re. places to go.

TT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users