• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

From what I can see in some online shopping, the AGM cost about 50% more, $/amp-hr.

Not when you're paying $194ea already. You can find a comparable capacity AGM for under 25% more regularly and sales bring them down. Cabelas has their group 30 agm on sale for $199 right now for instance.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#12 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

Not when you're paying $194ea already. You can find a comparable capacity AGM for under 25% more regularly and sales bring them down. Cabelas has their group 30 agm on sale for $199 right now for instance.

I'd have to see that. Can you provide a link to an example of an AGM for under $245 with 130 amp-hr (20-hr rate) capacity? I haven't seen any. And comparing "on sale" to regular price doesn't count.
If you mean the Cabella's on this page, it's not the same -- it's a "dual purpose" not a true deep-cycle -- not the kind of battery primarily intended for RV use. The fact that they don't even list the 20-hr capacity (the standard for comparing deep-cycle battery capacity) shows that...and it means it can't be compared to the battery I bought. Group number is just the size of the plastic box -- not a measure of capacity.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#13 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Their regular price is within 25% and I just mentioned the sale since it is right now basically the same price. Someone elsewhere on the site picked one up and checked the casing and reported back it was a relabeled Universal Battery, the UB121100 which is a 110ah range battery: http://upgi.com/Them...loads/45981.pdf

Flooded batteries main perk is lower cost in my mind is all, I'd probably have went with a couple golf cart batteries myself if going with that battery type which will arguably be even better designed for deep cycling (3cell battery verse 6cell) and only run about $90 at local stores.

Granted the particular battery you picked is an odd duck size at 130ah, most common larger 12V are going to be in the 100-110 range and the 6V are going to be 200-220ah range. Thus they seem to charge a bit of a premium for that it appears.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#14 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

If I were running wet batteries I'd sure want to have a volt meter very visible just to make sure they don't get overcharged. Shouldn't happen but if it did it sure isn't something you'd want to experience inside the camper.

I'm also not a good battery steward. One reason I've gone agm. One less thing I need to obsess about.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#15 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

Their regular price is within 25%...a 110ah range battery

But...130 is more than 110 -- they're not the same. That's why I made my "cost 50% more" claim based on $/amp-hr, in order to make a direct comparison between batteries with different capacities.

Flooded batteries main perk is lower cost in my mind is all.

Yep -- that was my point.

Granted the particular battery you picked is an odd duck size at 130ah

Yep -- that's why I bought it.

I made my "cost 50% more, $/amp-hr" claim based on looking at several online retailers, comparing their prices for AGM and flooded -- both for deep-cycle applications. Comparing prices within a retailer's selection reduces the effect of "deep-discounter" vs "full-retail". And when possible I made the comparison within the same battery brand in order to remove the effect of "high-end brand" vs "cheapo brand". Check it out yourself -- research is fun...and satisfying, when it's done properly! Posted Image

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy a particular type or brand of camper battery -- just explaining the rationale for my decision. And I think my rationale stands intact. :)

A valid point to bring up about my decision would be: "Aren't you the guy that compares the cost of camper gear to the cost of truck fuel spent to go camping, in order to justify an expensive camper-gear purchase -- such as the Lagun table frame? Why the inconsistency in this application?"
Yep, that would be a good point to make. Posted Image

#16 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

You're overlooking in your reply that you can get ~210ah of 6V golfcart battery for ~$90 thus you paid 75% extra to get a odd sized 12V 130ah battery by your criteria. That would be offbrand verse your Trojan, comparing to a Trojan T105 225ah ~$105 it seems online that comes down to 40%. ;)

#17 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

You're overlooking in your reply that you can get ~210ah of 6V golfcart battery for ~$90 thus you paid 75% extra to get a odd sized 12V 130ah battery by your criteria. That would be offbrand verse your Trojan, comparing to a Trojan T105 225ah ~$105 it seems online that comes down to 40%. ;)

No, I didn't overlook it. I just focused on your initial point, that AGM cost only 25% more for the same capacity -- and I addressed that point.

But maybe next time (a few years from now) I will consider the 6v-in-series approach and not consider the more-expensive AGM approach at all. Thanks for the tip.Posted Image

#18 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

I think we can all agree that hopefully that is many years ahead! :)

*Raises glass to long battery life*

#19 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

After 4 days camping with these new batteries, still happy! Posted Image
They hold the charge more/better than the old batteries...so it wasn't just my imagination that the old batteries were getting tired.
Now I just have to take better care of these than I did of the old ones...feed and water them regularly, take 'em for a walk, etc.

#20 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

After 4 days camping with these new batteries, still happy! Posted Image
They hold the charge more/better than the old batteries...so it wasn't just my imagination that the old batteries were getting tired.
Now I just have to take better care of these than I did of the old ones...feed and water them regularly, take 'em for a walk, etc.

MarkBC,

Does your solar panel keep up with that large DC fridge now that you have the new batteries?

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users