Photo

New camper battery in series with "older" battery?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 LT Traveler

LT Traveler

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

I think you wouldn't go wrong following those "split the + and - between batteries" recommendation.
But, seems to me: If the two batteries are connected by heavy-enough-gauge cable so that resistance of that short-heavy cable is negligible, then the respective terminals (the two positives or the two negatives) on each battery are at the same potential. So the current will flow through both batteries equally -- i.e., it doesn't matter which battery you connect the campers wiring to or if you split it.
This is my theoretical analysis, which is what I applied in my truck...and I guess a key question would be "What cable gauge is 'heavy-enough-gauge'?" Posted Image

Thanks Marc, I appreciate you checking in and helping out. It's all set back up now and I'll report our finding on the next trip.
2004 Nissan Titan w/ 2011 FWC Hawk

#12 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Thanks Pods8, appreciate the info. I have a negative + positive cable from the camper to the camper battery and a third wire that I assumed was a ground...Now I don't know? :blink:

These wires are coming from where exactly when you say "from the camper"? My FWC is older and had very limited wiring but your extra wire could be solar prewiring if you're talking inside the camper. If you're talking the camper pigtail to the truck I think the newer campers have a third wire for clearance lights. Lots of different possibilities depending on where you're talking about.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#13 LT Traveler

LT Traveler

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

These wires are coming from where exactly when you say "from the camper"? My FWC is older and had very limited wiring but your extra wire could be solar prewiring if you're talking inside the camper. If you're talking the camper pigtail to the truck I think the newer campers have a third wire for clearance lights. Lots of different possibilities depending on where you're talking about.

Not exactly sure where it comes from I hate to say...all wires come through the cabinets leading to places unknown. The camper is pre-wired for solar so maybe that's it or clearance lights. Really almost impossible to figure out where they lead back to because they're all hidden.
2004 Nissan Titan w/ 2011 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users