• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#41 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

Added the "Famous covered Bucket" as our new sink waste water holding tank.

Picture under the "Install a sink section"

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#42 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

.......even my wife says all the "tweaks" are a little bit too much...... "When are you going to get the camper done?"......My reply, ...."I'm almost done (heh,heh) :P just a few more tweaks"

My latest is trying to find a new place to store the portable 27" x 27" solar panel. In a Tacoma X-cab = difficult. We have been carrying it in the camper on the floor nestled between the front of the Engle and folded down couch panel. Sometimes we take it and don't need it...Then it's in the way for the rest of that trip......Looking for a place to store it so its handy but out of the way. Think we found a (secure) place......

gallery_2684_767_32503.jpg
...yup .... backseat...secured with seat belts still have room for hanging clothes and duffel bags in front.

We have a solar plug on the roof so I'm still researching putting "a panel" up there. Downside is winter when sun is low because you can't angle it and when we park in the shade - because 70% of efficiency is lost. We still might need a small portable to augment the main one which doesn't solve the problem....Research continues.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 18 June 2014 - 09:57 PM.

Jim

#43 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Field report
Most of our camping is off-the-grid at state parks or the desert. About 25% is exploring the country, on asphalt. We stay in KOA's when available, because they take last minute credit-card reservations (like a Motel 6) and are easy to get into on weekends when the western state parks are full (6 month reservation system). They have Wi-Fi, washer-dryers, small convenient store and water-electric sites. We plug in our 15 amp x-tension cord (shell "shore-power") which through our "Battery Doctor" charger/maintainer, tops off our battery while powering the Engle refer.

30 amp utility boxes at public campsites.
Some of the newer RV campsites (Thousand Trails for one) don't offer a "straight - blade" 20 amp service. You will need a small adapter so your straight blade "shore power" cable can plug into a 30 amp receptacle. This little adapter doesn't take up any room and only costs $3.97 -
see link: http://www.campingwo...e-adapter/69605

The Engle refer has a 110 volt mode, however you have to unplug the 12 volt cable and plug in the 110 volt cable to switch modes. It is easier to stay in one mode...In our case 12 volt, and the little 1.25 amp charger maintainer is below the maximum 2 amps Engle recommends for trickle charger voltage....when refer is operating.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 06 August 2014 - 01:50 PM.

Jim

#44 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

My latest is trying to find a new place to store the portable 27" x 27" solar panel. In a Tacoma X-cab = difficult. We have been carrying it in the camper on the floor nestled between the front of the Engle and folded down couch panel. Sometimes we take it and don't need it...Then it's in the way for the rest of that trip......Looking for a place to store it so its handy but out of the way. Think we found a (secure) place......

Have you thought about just storing it on the roof? It would be out of the way.

Having a permanent panel on the roof works well. Even in winter you will still have sun hitting it.

Just some thoughts.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#45 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

Jim I read that you leave your camper on full time. I am in the same boat, I have left mine on since September of 2013. I have two trucks, an 88 toyota xtra cab and my 2005 Tundra. So I do most of my running around in my little truck. My reasoning for leaving the camper on full time is whenever I get in that truck there is a good chance I will use the camper. 

Have you seen any downfalls to leaving it on full time? Did you change your tie downs? I read through your build and you did a fantastic job.    

#46 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

Yes Frank I have considered doing just that. Though I wonder if the 60 watt is large enough when I camp in Nov-Feb off-the-grid... Because I can't angle the panel. Everyone recommends installing a 100 watt panel. 

I have decided to test the efficiency of the 60 watt in November when I go to the hot springs by laying it flat on the ground (leveled) and see how efficient it is over a couple of days...then make the decision.

Jim

#47 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

Thanks Ron. I tried to make the post of my "build" as comprehensive and use-able as possible for the average builder.

We were looking for a '05-'06 4WD Tundra. but gave up after 10 months of looking in 4 states - never finding one.

2013 Tacoma does a great job with its 4 liter 235 hp V-6 and 3:73 rear gear. Plenty of power to pass on 2 lane roads overloaded by 700 pounds. Milege averages 15.5 - 50/50 driving to 16.5 freeway, driving conservatively. Best is Truckee to Olancha in April with no a/c - 18.5 (with camping gear and 2 people). The 2nd gen Tacoma handles the xtra 1,000 pounds + camping weight effortlessly. Empty "it" doesn't even know is is there. Did you know this "mini-truck" has the same footprint as a 1971 Ford F 150?

The '99 Tacoma was getting 12-14 mpg because the engine was working very hard. Truck wasn't as much fun to drive, so I didn't drive it much. By comparison the 2013 model is almost like driving a sports car because of the low center of gravity of the shell.

The downside of the 2nd gen Tacoma is the composite bed. A friend advised checking out a welding shop to have mounts fabricated. Since I was going to buy a new truck if I wasn't buying a Tundra I was concerned about voiding the warranty if I welded plate onto the frame. It turns out welding is ok. DRILLING holes in the frame voids the warranty though. Four quarter inch "L" brakets welded on. Used 4 ea - 3/8" "elevator" bolts and Lock Nuts. Drilled the composite bed to 9/16" to allow for frame flex as the frame is not boxed and will flex a little. So far no problem. I check the nuts monthly and everything is tight after 18 months of use.

Lastly - every day use. Retired I drive it about 2-3 days a week. Hauling the model airplanes to the flying field, my bike to the harbor to safely ride, or Running errands. I love driving it. Easy to park at the grocery store because Eagle doesn't extend past the fenders...Nothing for walkers to hook their clothes on.

Did I miss anything?

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 06 August 2014 - 01:58 PM.

Jim

#48 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:34 AM

Great write up. I would like to find a Tacoma some day to replace the xtracab but I am not looking super hard. Mine only has 300,000 miles so it has a couple hundred thousand left in it  :D

#49 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

It's a Toyota and they last a v-e-r-y long time. Our daughter had a '81 Corolla that finally died (actually it was still running - wouldn't pass smog test-still running in mexico)  at 482,000 miles in 2002. Never had the head off.

Jim

#50 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:45 AM

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users