50 replies to this topic

#1 remithoren

remithoren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:07 PM

Just replaced the vent with automatic fantastic fan.
Was an easy install (prewired) and fit perfectly.
Longest time spent cleaning out old caulking.
That and the folding step install on my resume for a job at FWC,
Too much free time for this cameraguy.

Attached Thumbnails

• FANFAN.jpg
  • FANFAN-(1).jpg

#2 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

I might do the same one of these days. Are there a variety of fantastic fan models or is there 1 (I'd hate to order the wrong one)? What particular sealant did you use? How do I know if my FWC is prewired (03 Grandby)? Thanks for the post.

#3 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

looks great, i would like to get one of those eventually. thanks for posting!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#4 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:56 PM

AK,

Fantastic Fan does make a number different models. The basic one that FWC uses is reversible and is likely the best for our use but you can get a very fancy remote controlled model that seem more appropriate in an RV. No matter which model you choose it is a great addition to the camper.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#5 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:22 AM

I've looked a little on the internet for fans, and am glad to read a recommendation from people on this board - that goes a long way toward making up my mind.

#6 Pete D

Pete D

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:31 AM

Fantastical fans are all upgradable; you can add any of the options at a later date. Their customer support is excellent!! That said, many RVers are also happy with MaxxAir fans (I have an FF myself, and have never tried the other).

Both move a lot of air for not much battery drain.

There is one basic difference in the FFs in the beginning; they come in high and low profiles (how much they stick up inside vs outside) for RV roof thickness, so one might want to consult with their customer support. Places like Camping World stock the ones for thick-roof RVs. Not sure where the cutoff is between thick and thin :D

I found I left mine open occasionally, and if it rained, the plastic knob would fill with water which would run down my arm when I turned it :eek: Fix for that was to drill four drain holes in the knob.

#7 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:53 AM

The FF (basic) was the first and best mod I did to my camper. It's nice being able to lay next to a window and get a cool breeze in your face :D

The only problem I have had which is user error is pressing the fwd/rev switch with the fan on and blowing out the 4 amp fuse. Had to stuff some foil in there as I didn't have any extra fuses on board. :rolleyes:

wiring was already in the roof and I used clear silicon II by GE.
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#8 WarpathEngineering

WarpathEngineering

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:00 AM

I've got the basic Fantastic Fan and the extra vent in my roof. I've been thinking of switching them both out for Maxxfans, mainly for the weather protection. The Maxxfan is more expensive but if you add up the cost of a new Fantastic Fan and a weather cover it comes out to about the same. There's a guy on Ebay selling them for just over $218 with free shipping.

Just a thought!

#9 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:28 AM

Just a note to add that the hole is a standard RV vent hole of 14" x 14".
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#10 remithoren

remithoren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:08 PM

Site where I found fantastic fan,
http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/
bought the auto reversible fan.

I used clear silicone seal from Alex Plus 35 yr. Flexible. from Home Depot.
Easy to use.

Now I have extra vent (the std that came with Hawk) what to do with it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users