FWC Camper Weight

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:36 AM

Here is picture from the original owners manual. Truck Yeah doesn't have the facts correct.

cwd

Attached Thumbnails

• P1030144.JPG

CWDT

#32 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:22 AM

this shows payload of 1400 lbs, so math adds up.

Our old Granby is plated as 971 lbs wet, with std equip. Best as I remember this is pretty accurate. So I'll say to be 980 for an albeit  smaller but optioned out and loaded camper is simply remarkable.  Well done cwd !

#33 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:40 AM

Klahanie, thank you. Plus, no air bags, special suspension mods or brackets to tie the camper down.

My point is why are the newer campers so much heavier? Even the Eagle shell with maybe a heater/fridge was about the same as my older Ranger II.

cwd

PS. My house battery is mounted in the truck bed and not included in the camper weight, only the total GVW

Edited by cwdtmmrs, 25 November 2017 - 06:49 AM.

CWDT

#34 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:50 PM

takeiteasy, Just going by the tag on the door that says GVWR 5080, front axle 2425 and the rear axle is 3000.

cwd

Well, that should be accurate... I guess I can't believe everything I read on the internets, haha. I'm just jealous 'cause my newer truck carries less weight. I have a shell camper and am still overweight sometimes.

Edited by takesiteasy, 25 November 2017 - 01:54 PM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#35 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

"Just going by the tag on the door that says GVWR 5080, front axle 2425 and the rear axle is 3000." As you can see, the manufacturer doesn't just add the front and rear axle capacities together to come up with the GVW.  My 06 Dodge 1/2 ton had front and rear axles at 3900#'s each, but the GVW was 6600#'s. My present 2016 Chevy 1/2 ton has front and rear axles at 3950#'s each, but the GVW is 7200#'s.  I really don't know where they come up with the GVW number.  I think it would be safe to say on a truck in good condition that you could probably exceed the GVW by 10%. The engineers must put a good safety factor in before a failure would occur. Of course the legal implications of being overweight is a whole other story. On my Chevy, the difference in the light weight with me in the truck and the truck's GVW is 1320#'s But my glove box sticker shows a recommended camper weight of 1000#'s. I'm guessing that they have to take into effect the tip over probabilities with a hardside camper. Our FWC have a lower CG. 

#36 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

Interesting, pretty much everyone with a full size 1/2 ton down to a small/midsize truck is over gvw.
I'm curious if, we were to be in an accident, whether we caused or not the insurance company could wiggle out of a claim.?

I think this is a VERY important question, all of us are overweight, are we still insured?? 

A quick search didn't show up any examples of lawsuits (they would probably be behind a paywall), I did find two discussions on the topic:

The first is about towing but I would think that it would also apply to carrying over GVWR:

“Juries are looking for an easy solution. If you’re overweight, that’s an easy solution.”

These scary words come from Ashley de la Cerda, partner in the Dallas law firm of Walters, Balido & Crane, addressing towing lawsuits at the recent ProPickup Truck Expo in Dallas . . .

“In a court of law, towing beyond a vehicle’s maximum trailered weight, as set by the manufacturer, is driver negligence,” Smith says, stating he regularly sees contractors, landscapers and public entities exceeding the 5,000-pound half-ton weight limit without using a proper hitch.   (September 2013, Equipment World)

And a thread in Expedition Portal from 2006:

"However, a bigger problem is your insurance which is probably void if you are over the manufacturers stated max weight, my policy clearly states this and I assume this clause would apply regardless of what mods you have made to account for the extra weight."

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#37 Malamute

Malamute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRockies

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:07 PM

One aspect rarely mentioned in discussions of truck weight carrying is the axle bearings. The tires and springs arent the only factor to consider. The majority of half ton and most recent 3/4 tons (formerly called light duty 3/4 tons) have rear axle bearings that ride right on the axle shaft. This is a very poor system for weight carrying, for especially one that is left carrying weight all the time. I dont recall exactly, but Ive replaced about 8 or more axle shafts over the years in various pickups and Suburbans from bearings wearing into them and causing metal pitting and metal loss on the shaft where the bearing rides. Leaking axle bearings is usually the clue theres a problem, and replacing the axle shaft is the only way to make them right after the shaft begins to wear. The thin repair sleeve that are supposed to be a remedy are not a good answer. In one light duty 3/4 ton Ford I had, when it needed axle shafts replaced, I just bought a true 3/4 ton full floater rear end. They have tapered bearings with replaceable races, they dont wear the axle shafts. All older 3/4 tons had such axles, now only the heaviest type, or 1 tons have that type axles. If you want true, heavy weight capacity that doesnt end up damaging your axles, its the best way. The recent 3/4 tons Ive seen, such as Suburbans and pickups, had 6 lugs, some had 8 lugs, but were still the light duty axle assembly. The true heavy duty ones have the center part of the axle in the middle of the wheel sticking out several inches, and 8 bolts attaching the axle shaft to the wheel. If I were doing a full time or heavy camper rig, Id not  consider a light duty rear end for a second.

Interestingly, as far as I understand, the Japanese pickups have the tapered bearings with replaceable races. 

Full floater type rear end

http://image.fourwhe...oating_axle.jpg

Edited by Malamute, 09 December 2017 - 03:10 PM.

#38 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:19 AM

Anyone know the weight of the older Fleets? mine is 82-83 ish.. gutted inside and rebuilt with very little inside just a shelf, bed,tables and benches, new insulation and walls..  want to try to figure out if I am over weight or not..

It feels light.. I can move on the camper dolly easily and can pick up a corner

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#39 fredrahm

fredrahm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:19 PM

2013 Fleet on a new 2017 Tacoma Access Cab 4X4.  Just weighed my truck without and with camper. Results: Camper fully loaded is 

1540 lbs.   2 batteries, 20 gallons of water, compressor refrigerator, 2 propane tanks, furnace, sink, stove and normal camping gear. 

Gross Vehicle Weight 5960 lbs.

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 5600 lbs.  From Sticker in door jamb.  (360 lbs over).

Gross Axle Weight FRT 2560 lbs

Gross Axle Weight Rating FRT 2910 lbs. From Sticker in door jamb (350 lbs under).

Gross Axle Weight RR 3400 lbs.

Gross Axle Weight Rating RR 3280 lbs. From Sticker in door jamb. (120 lbs over).

I had my local Spring Service Shop add a leaf to each side of the rear.  This leveled the truck when the camper is on.  They said the springs should add about 600 lbs additional weight carrying capacity.

The weigh station charged me $11.00 for each weigh but they would give me a free weigh if done within 24 hours. CAT Scale at the local truck stop.

#40 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:23 AM

2011 Fleet on a 2011 Tacoma access Cab 4X4. 

Fleet is pretty fully equipped with awning, steps, backup lights, 3 way fridge, stove, 1 battery, 2 propane tanks, sink, furnace, stove, water heater, 160 V fixed/portable solar.  Fairly lightweight camping gear except for good IPA. 

I am 290 lbs over GVWR based on truck scales.

I am under Gross Axle Weight rating on front by 390 lbs.

I am over Gross Axle Weight on rear by 72 lbs.

Checked axle bearings all around this last summer and they were in great shape.

I have added Ride Right air bags, commercial air hoses and upgraded shocks and E rated KO2 tires for the added weight.  I believe that the suspension and tires are the limiting issues for a Tacoma’s weight carrying capacity.  I have over 50,000 miles, about 3/4 of which is off paved road, on this setup with camper without a single problem.  I will be upgrading my brakes when the current ones wear out just as an improvement, but it brakes OK now.

As you can imagine there are pretty good records of car wrecks.  In the 100’s of thousands of wrecks with pickups over the last 20 years there is no record of even a single truck ever been weighed or any insurance company using weight as a liability issue.  The data says this is as common an issue to worry about as an airplane landing on your truck/camper would be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users