- - - - -

Rampart Range

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 5444

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

I'm heading to Rampart Range in Co for some dirt biking next week. I wish I had the camper to test her out. Are there any must do/see while I'm there. I have never been to this area, we have always gone to the Silverton area. We are planning at least one day hike to a fire tower lookout and one float down the South Platte river. It will be a quick trip, one day for travel and 4 days to explore. I'm pretty stoked they lifted the class 2 fire ban also, so at least we can have a fire now.

2012 Hawk, 2011 Ram 2500 Crew CTD G56, 1988 YJ "The more you travel, the more you realize how little you've seen"-Gunther Holtorf

#2 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Google Rampart Range Trail maps. You will need a map as there are bike trails all over down there. We used to go in at Sedalia and unloaded near the Sprucewood Bar. Great riding and trails that go on and on. The Sprucewood is also good for after bike libations as is the Bucksnort Saloon. Both are, how shall I say, rustic..... Google for more info. Your making me miss my old XR500 Honda. Oh beware of the attack turkeys.

Don't know where your located or coming from but Denver has a FWC dealer now. If you need a FWC fix, stop in and see Chris the new dealer, he is great guy.

Attached Thumbnails

• XR500.jpg

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#3 5444

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:39 AM

Sounds good Rotti. The group I'm going with go every year and I think they are trying to get me hooked. We plan on hitting Sprucewood more than once and I'm not familiar with the Bucksnort, where exactly is that one located. Nice old school Honda, wish we had it. Our group just grew by one and we our short a bike now. Well, at least we will always have a guard to be on the lookout for those pesky turkeys.

2012 Hawk, 2011 Ram 2500 Crew CTD G56, 1988 YJ "The more you travel, the more you realize how little you've seen"-Gunther Holtorf

#4 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Not sure what is left.....but if you weren't aware of it, the Ramparts are where the Waldo Canyon fire was west of the Springs

http://www.krdo.com/...fz/-/index.html

Some areas may not be accessible. Erosion is a major concern right now. Check ahead if you haven't already. I know for a fact that the Rampart Range road is still closed. (as of yesterday)

And please.....don't build a fire. Like poopin on the ground....it just isn't necessary and what is left behind isn't good for the landscape whatsoever.

be safe

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#5 5444

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

Mtn, thanks for the info. We had some friends out there 2 weeks ago and it was open. Will check before we leave.

#6 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Not sure what is left.....but if you weren't aware of it, the Ramparts are where the Waldo Canyon fire was west of the Springs

Some areas may not be accessible. Erosion is a major concern right now. Check ahead if you haven't already. I know for a fact that the Rampart Range road is still closed. (as of yesterday)

be safe

mtn

Yes, the southern end of the Ramparts was well burnt.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#7 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

The fire was way south of the Sedalia/Sprucewood area. No worries.

A few quotes on the Bucksnort:

"The super narrow, winding road that keeps the city folk away. The deck that hangs perilously like an adolescent loose tooth over the creek. The view of a tiny cabin built on a rock. The lack of any surface other than rough wood. The evidence of hippies and bikers who wanted to escape civilization. The bar stools are actually just logs standing on end and smoothed with years of use. The uneven foundation. The small space. The locals. The complete lack of pretenses. The bands that squeeze in to play blues and bluegrass. The warm glow it gives in the winter. The close proximity to swimming holes in the summer. Pine."

"If you go camping near Deckers and are heading back towards 285, turn at Pine and head up the dirt road to the amazing little canyon of Sphinx Park."

http://www.yelp.com/...ort-saloon-pine

My wife said she would never go there again.......but I would :D
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#8 5444

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

Thanks, Rotti. We will be sure to stop at this place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users