• Please log in to reply
787 replies to this topic

#771 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 02 September 2023 - 05:57 AM

Did we need the snorkel when we got dragged through Smith Creek...?

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#772 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 02 September 2023 - 06:05 AM

Did we need the snorkel when we got dragged through Smith Creek...?

CraggyMan, I assume you're referring to this "Horror Story".

No, apparently we didn't need it. My truck's engine was running while submerged in the raging waters of Smith Creek and suffered no damage.

But necessary or not, snorkels provide value in gnarlyness of appearance, the importance of which can't be ignored.

I think you should make an offer on that gnarly rig on O.B.Riley.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#773 campito

campito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBishop

Posted 03 September 2023 - 05:02 AM

Saw this in the Yukon last week.  I got the story from a gov truck that pulled up to check it out just as I was about to leave.  Couple rolled their truck, no one injured, it was about a month ago.  My truck in the background.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20230825IMG_4236 2.jpg

Edited by campito, 03 September 2023 - 05:03 AM.

2012 Fleet, 2005 Tundra

formally know as DonC before all my accounts were hacked

#774 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 03 September 2023 - 06:02 AM

CraggyMan, I assume you're referring to this "Horror Story".

No, apparently we didn't need it. My truck's engine was running while submerged in the raging waters of Smith Creek and suffered no damage.

But necessary or not, snorkels provide value in gnarlyness of appearance, the importance of which can't be ignored.

I think you should make an offer on that gnarly rig on O.B.Riley.

I just saw that rig earlier today after we did a walk at the Riley Ranch. Looks pretty sweet for sure. Was wondering if there was a listing for it anywhere?? I looked on Craigslist and did not see anything similar.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#775 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 September 2023 - 06:04 AM

I just saw that rig earlier today after we did a walk at the Riley Ranch. Looks pretty sweet for sure. Was wondering if there was a listing for it anywhere?? I looked on Craigslist and did not see anything similar.

I saw a QR code on the driver's side. Maybe scan it to find a listing and details.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#776 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 04 September 2023 - 01:36 AM

Two more yesterday….

- A Fleet on a red Tacoma parked at the Lava Lake picnic ground off the Nisga’a Highway north of Terrace, British Columbia. Maine plates.

- A 2017 Hawk on a gray GMC pickup in the campground loop at Nisga,a Memorial Lava Beds Provincial Park near Gitlaxt’aamiks, British Columbia. Oregon plates. We talked with the owners and they are on their return trip from Alaska. They’ve been on the road since early July.

We saw the Maine one again in Prince Rupert a few hours ago, parked downtown.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#777 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 18 September 2023 - 07:43 PM

Since my last post we've seen about a dozen FWC rigs in BC (as we get closer to more populated areas), including

- one along the Skeena River (at Exchamsiks River bridge), apparently parked to fish for salmon

- two Fleets on Tacomas in Prince George (BC plates)

- one in Bella Coola near the ferry landing (red Tacoma, Fleet, BC plates)

- one in Hope (BC plates)

- a '21 Raven on an FX4 in the campground at Christina Lake -- (we chatted for an hour)

- a Fleet/Tacoma rig along Kootenay Lake's west shore

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#778 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 September 2023 - 07:58 PM

Not a sighting  but I remember in 1990 we camper at the campground that used to be at the Exchamsiks river.

In 2009 we pasted that way and found out that the campground was returned to nature.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#779 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 22 September 2023 - 11:37 PM

Ya know it is probably just me, but when I first got my FWC (2004) there were not that many of them out and about-----And seeing one almost called for a celebration or at least a wave! Over the years, I've had many a good conversation with fellow owners and want to be owners from such chance sightings.  Today, it seems like my happy wave or "Hi" is met by a blank look or an effort to run away from me. Of course, maybe a wave from such wild looking white haired gentleman as myself and his tail wagging dog scared them or something :wacko:!  Just saying now-times are different I guess.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#780 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 23 September 2023 - 02:00 PM

Today, it seems like my happy wave or "Hi" is met by a blank look or an effort to run away from me.... Just saying now-times are different I guess.

Smoke

It's not just you, Smoke. Even a relative late comer like me (2013) has noticed a difference in my reception by other FWC/ATC owners. Many today I guess have a "meh, it's just a camper" attitude, but I still wave and say "hi" given a chance. From time to time, I still find a fellow enthusiast who is happy to trade stories, tips, and secrets they've found—bless 'em.

Bill

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users