#31 2thdr

2thdr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Locationwest-east

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:35 PM

Old thread, but I really learned something here.  I'm a noob about to pick up my new to me 2011 Hawk on my new 2017 Tundra.  The previous owner has used the Hawk since new in his Ford F150 using the factory set up with eyebolts through his pickup bed.  I did some talking to a trailer/camper mechanic today where they sell Lance hard sided truck campers among other things.  He profusely recommended the Happijac mounting system with the stabilizing bar set up.  Maybe this is overkill (it is sure expensive at about $550 installed including turnbuckles), but since I am not proficient in cutting metal and such I am inclined to go this direction...

2019 F-250 SD 6.2L

2019 WolfPack 24pack14+ toyhauler

#32 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:51 PM

Old thread, but I really learned something here.  I'm a noob about to pick up my new to me 2011 Hawk on my new 2017 Tundra.  The previous owner has used the Hawk since new in his Ford F150 using the factory set up with eyebolts through his pickup bed.  I did some talking to a trailer/camper mechanic today where they sell Lance hard sided truck campers among other things.  He profusely recommended the Happijac mounting system with the stabilizing bar set up.  Maybe this is overkill (it is sure expensive at about $550 installed including turnbuckles), but since I am not proficient in cutting metal and such I am inclined to go this direction...

A thought...go to the closest FWC dealership [one in Tigard is great] and have them prep the Tundra for the Hawk....I will guess that the Lance can't use inside the bed fastener points so the exterior system is their only option..personally, especially off road, the less jutting off the vehicle to get hung up the better...

Lastly, all the engineering discussion notwithstanding... empirically viewing this topic seems to indicate that thousands of FWCs are securely held in place with the FWC attachment recommendations.  Guess I am saying that if installed by current FWC standards, even banging around off road all will be fine...

I could be wrong but the sky is not falling... :D

#33 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,626 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:16 AM

I'm sure the RV guy would be happy to sell you a Happijac system, and they are very good, but the eyebolt and turnbuckle system has been used successfully for a long time by FWC and ATC. Don't forget you're going to need the wiring hooked up, too. I believe it would be worth your time to at least talk to or visit American RV in Tigard.

I am haunted by waters

#34 2thdr

2thdr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Locationwest-east

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:05 AM

I actually called American RV this afternoon and they guy I talked to (Jason) said they don't use the Happijac system.  When I quizzed him about mounting failures, he said he doesn't see very many, but they are almost always self-installations that were done improperly.  I have no problem paying the $500 for the install (includes the wire harness hookup), but scheduling this time of year is apparently an issue, as they are booking out two weeks.  I am going up to Bellingham this weekend to pick up the Hawk (I live south of Salem).  My only option I guess is to do the install myself with eyebolts and then book an appointment for American RV to do it properly after the first of the year.

2019 F-250 SD 6.2L

#35 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,626 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:22 AM

Many folks have retrieved a camper using strong web straps from the Jack mounts to a secure point (frame?) on the truck. There should be some thread entries on how they did that. It may be a better option than a temporary eyebolt. Is your bed one of the composite models?

Unless you're into self abuse, don't make that a one day trip. Last month I went to Anacortes and back in a single day, and it kicked my tail. I did catch the Keystone ferry from Whidbey to Port Townsend to miss Seattle and Tacoma on the way back. At 5:00 am, It was heavy/very slow traffic from south of Tacoma to just north of the Olive St exit in Seattle. Then it was just heavy and fast from there.

I am haunted by waters

#36 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:22 AM

OK..I get that...time is imperative...I don't have it but FWC did have a video for DIY installation of anchors in truck bed and if I remember correctly the demo veh was a Tundra...

All that being said, this weekend is now....good luck..

Phil

#37 2thdr

2thdr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Locationwest-east

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:20 AM

Many folks have retrieved a camper using strong web straps from the Jack mounts to a secure point (frame?) on the truck. There should be some thread entries on how they did that. It may be a better option than a temporary eyebolt. Is your bed one of the composite models?
Unless you're into self abuse, don't make that a one day trip. Last month I went to Anacortes and back in a single day, and it kicked my tail. I did catch the Keystone ferry from Whidbey to Port Townsend to miss Seattle and Tacoma on the way back. At 5:00 am, It was heavy/very slow traffic from south of Tacoma to just north of the Olive St exit in Seattle. Then it was just heavy and fast from there.

I know what you mean about the drive. I don't know why any sane individual would choose to live in that mêlée. Holy cow the traffic is bad! This will be our second trip up in as many weeks, and we just overnight in B-town at the Spring Hill Suites for about $100 bucks... it's worth it! Thanks for all the input guys... I'll let you know how it goes.

2019 F-250 SD 6.2L

#38 Chadx

Chadx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:27 AM

2thdr,
Did you make it?

#39 2thdr

2thdr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Locationwest-east

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:29 AM

2thdr,
Did you make it?

Yup...made it home in one piece even though many others did not that day...

wreck.jpg

hawk01.jpg

2019 F-250 SD 6.2L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users