9 replies to this topic

#1 milt

milt

The Artist

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Locationsebastopol, ca

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hey guys, I'm going to Europe in a month and will start in Amsterdam and will travel by train to the black forest and on to Munich for October Fest and then north through Bavaria and then plan to shoot over to Barcelona Spain for the month of October and am thinking of renting a camper van to tour probably through the Pyrenees and over to the north coast and back to Barcelona. Anybody done such a trip? Any suggestions?

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

Hey Milt!
I can't help you with trip-planning...but have a great trip! Posted Image

I assume you're taking your drawing pad and pencils...? Hope to see your daily drawings posted here this fall.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,307 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

Some teaser photos of Galica Spain.Enjoy.Frank

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4176.jpg
  • DSCN4239.jpg
  • DSCN4551.jpg
  • DSCN4191.jpg
  • DSCN4152.jpg

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

I've done Europe by train and recommend you looking into a Eurrail Pass that suits your needs before you go rather than just purchasing tickets for each trip. No info on camper vans but a Google search seems to deliver plenty of options: http://www.google.co...mper van rental

As an artist I'm sure I don't need to tell you about all the museums on offer in Amsterdam and Barcelona. If you wind up anywhere near San Sebastian I highly recommend a night or two. Have fun...

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,307 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

Milt,the Eurail pass is great.I think you can only buy them here in the states,also with the pass you also need to check in at the station you leave from to get a seat,or that is the way it used to be.
Bilbao is also a great place.The Guggie museum is a must see if you are into art museums.There is so much to see in Barcelona don't know where to start.You have to walk the Barri Gothic and eat at some of the small cafes.One we enjoy is called,Buenas Migas there are a bunch throughout the city.Also the Tapa places in the Barceloneta and Sagardis near the Santa Maria Del Mar church.Yum my mouth is watering.If you would like to stop and stay at an olive finca near Tarragona,I could give you their web site.We have stayed there two times it's a nice quiet place up on the hills,surrounded by what else,olive trees.
Your trip sounds like a great time.Hope all works out.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

Check the Man in Seat 61 ...

www.seat61.com

Tells you all yo need to know....We are going to do the trans siberian,,,,,

Robbie

#7 SietePicos

SietePicos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:53 AM

You might look up a couple variations on the medieval pilgrimage route known as the Camino de Santiago. The classic Camino Francés enters Spain through Roncesvalles then drops down into Pamplona, Burgos, León, up into Galicia and on to Santiago de Compostela. The Camino del Norte is not as well known, and follows the coast through San Sebastián, Bilbao and Santander. Either way, the Camino was a major movement of wealth and culture along a defined pathway, in an age when most people didn’t move around very much. The result can be seen today in the concentration of medieval and renaissance architecture in even the smaller towns and villages along the Camino – churches, monasteries, hospitals to attend to the pilgrims.

Across the northern coast, you start at the French border among Basques, then move westward through Asturias, Cantabria and finally Galicia. Inland, you come to the hotter and drier regions of Navarra and the Castilian plains. Each is its own culture, with different customs and traditions, different cuisines, and sometimes a different language. Keep in mind that Spain is only slightly bigger than California, so these separate ‘nationalities’ occupy areas comparable to some of our medium size counties.

In BCN, don’t miss the Sagrada Familia, especially the forest of interior columns and Gaudi’s studio, with models showing how he used weights and pulleys to calculate the forces bearing on his arches and domes. Remember also that Spain is the country where you eat the best, so check out the La Boqueria market right off the Ramblas.

Anyway,this is quite long enough for a first post here. I have lived in Spain since 1990 and still spend part of the year in Madrid. Let me know if you have specific questions or information on particular regions!

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,307 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

You might look up a couple variations on the medieval pilgrimage route known as the Camino de Santiago. The classic Camino Francés enters Spain through Roncesvalles then drops down into Pamplona, Burgos, León, up into Galicia and on to Santiago de Compostela. The Camino del Norte is not as well known, and follows the coast through San Sebastián, Bilbao and Santander. Either way, the Camino was a major movement of wealth and culture along a defined pathway, in an age when most people didn’t move around very much. The result can be seen today in the concentration of medieval and renaissance architecture in even the smaller towns and villages along the Camino – churches, monasteries, hospitals to attend to the pilgrims.

Across the northern coast, you start at the French border among Basques, then move westward through Asturias, Cantabria and finally Galicia. Inland, you come to the hotter and drier regions of Navarra and the Castilian plains. Each is its own culture, with different customs and traditions, different cuisines, and sometimes a different language. Keep in mind that Spain is only slightly bigger than California, so these separate ‘nationalities’ occupy areas comparable to some of our medium size counties.

In BCN, don’t miss the Sagrada Familia, especially the forest of interior columns and Gaudi’s studio, with models showing how he used weights and pulleys to calculate the forces bearing on his arches and domes. Remember also that Spain is the country where you eat the best, so check out the La Boqueria market right off the Ramblas.

Anyway,this is quite long enough for a first post here. I have lived in Spain since 1990 and still spend part of the year in Madrid. Let me know if you have specific questions or information on particular regions!

Where do you live now in Spain.My daughter has lived in Barcelona since 2000?
Frank

#9 SietePicos

SietePicos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Where do you live now in Spain.My daughter has lived in Barcelona since 2000?
Frank

Nice photos from Galicia, especially the seafood!

I have always lived in Madrid, though Barcelona is probably the prettier of the two cities. Both are getting slammed now by Spain's economic troubles, so I hope your daughter is doing well. My current teaching gig in Madrid leaves me time to get back to the States and explore our mountains and deserts, which is how I found this forum.

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,307 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Nice photos from Galicia, especially the seafood!

I have always lived in Madrid, though Barcelona is probably the prettier of the two cities. Both are getting slammed now by Spain's economic troubles, so I hope your daughter is doing well. My current teaching gig in Madrid leaves me time to get back to the States and explore our mountains and deserts, which is how I found this forum.

So far she is ok in Barcelona.She runs and teaches english at a school in the Gracia area.We had the best time over Easter in Galica the sea food was only the start.We were in Santiago de Compostela for the Holy week end.Not a religious person but the all the doings were great to watch.We even were at the cathedral Easter morning for the incense swing.Truly a cool thing to watch.
Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users