• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

I reported here a few months back that I'd be trying out an alternative support structure to address the 16" overhang of my Grandby on a Nissan Titan, and here it is. Since I'm unable to access the truck's spare-wheel hoist with the tailgate on, I've devised this angle iron, chain, and turnbuckle alternative (below), weighs about 9 lb. in all as opposed to my 40+ lb. tailgate. Not expecting to win any prizes for creativity on this one since I'm just trying to give some spartan, but functional, support to that overhang portion of the Grandby. Key components are a 61" length of nominal 1" x 1" 11-ga angle iron rail primed and painted white, 2 lengths of chain, 2 small turnbuckles, and assorted fasteners to cinch the rail to the truck bed. About 7 holes were drilled along the bottom portion of the rail length so I could screw it into the bottom rear corner of the camper, but the rail is primarily held steady by the moderately snug tensions of the two turnbuckle/chain lengths between the rail and the truck bed. I look forward to hearing any pro/con/middlin comments on this 'solution'.

Attached Thumbnails

• camper support rail 001.jpg
  • camper support rail 002.jpg

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#2 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:46 AM

From the picture the angle of the chain looks like it would rotate the angle iron if the screws were not into the back of camper. Test this by taking the screws out and try to rotate the angle with a wrench, if it pops down you will have a problem on the first rough road. I would have put a hold at the V of the angle so you would not have the twisting torque to deal with.

I do like the ideal of not having the tail gate on.

Bill in STockton

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

I like it as well. I'm interested to hear how it works in practice. Not getting my tailgate sand blasted on dirt roads would be nice.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

I like the idea and the concept.

Looks good.

:)

But i'm not sure it will help all that much supporting the rear over hang of the camper?

The chains & turn buckles seem to be pulling back at a pretty steep angle.

Kind of seems like the angle iron brackets are pulling the rear of the camper backwards, more than they are actually helping to support the camper weight?

With the chain and turn buckles pulling backward like that, there might still be room for flex up & down.

Is this something to worry about or freak out about ?

Probably not.

The factory always suggests leaving the tail gate on for long term camper support.

But once you get the camper home, we can't stop you from trying new things.

Let everyone on WTW know how things work out long term?

thanks

Happy Camping

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. If there was any way I could keep the tailgate on and still access the spare wheel hoist I'd more than likely go that way. But the way tailgates are designed these days (bowed out and curvy on the Titan, instead of flat and narrow) makes it virtually impossible for anyone to reach the hoist with it down, so I really had no recourse but to try something bizarre like this angle iron solution. I'll let you know if any future tweaks to the components prove to be worthwhile for sharing on WTW.
RicoV

#6 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

I am wondering if this might also be useful for campers with the normal amount of overhang. It could be an easy to see safety system to back up the out of sight out of mind hard to reach normal system that may not get checked as often as it should.

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

For the same tension in the chain and turn-buckles, the shallower that the angle is, the less lifting function and the more pulling forward function. A 45° angle would be the 50/50 split between lifting and pulling. I'd suggest moving them up to the latch posts as that looks like it would substantially increase the lifting portion of the force.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

For the same tension in the chain and turn-buckles, the shallower that the angle is, the less lifting function and the more pulling forward function. A 45° angle would be the 50/50 split between lifting and pulling. I'd suggest moving them up to the latch posts as that looks like it would substantially increase the lifting portion of the force.

Definitely: Greater component of force -- in the lifting direction if the top end of the chain was anchored higher on the truck.
Unless...there's some reason you can't anchor the top of the chain higher...?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#9 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

That seems true. I had initially considered mounting to the latch posts, but wasn't sure they'd have enough inherent strength to handle the forces involved, figured they might get mangled if I went that way. In your experience, are latch posts generally sturdy enough to handle, say, a 150-lb or so load per post (guessing)?
RicoV

#10 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

How about something like this... it's a hard side camper truck bracket.

Posted Image

Maybe a smaller extension for the chain attachmanet point to be a little higher.

And, of course it's just an idea for reference, maybe to make something more specific purpose oriented.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users